Pointer Guys

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Pointer Guys

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:30 am

Just out of curiousity I was wondering why I never hear of some of the more recent inductees into the FDSB HOF in any pedigrees or recent breedings or litters?

Dogs like War Storm in 2009, Silverwood in 2008, Johnny Crockett in 2007, Calico's Thrillogy in 2009, Bonafide in 2006, Calico's Rebellious Sue in 2005, and Bear Creek Bess in 2004. These are all fairly recent inductees and I had heard of some of them like Elhew Snakefoot, Erin's Southern Justice, Dunn's Fearless Bud, Miller's Silver Bullet and Miller's Silver Ending are all dogs I have heard of from the mid and late 2000's that are now HOF members. Many of the members from the 1990's and early 2000's I have heard of and seen in many pedigrees but not some of the later dogs. I guess some of these dogs could be Setters which I am not familiar with but I thought I knew a fair amount about pointer blood, not everything but a little and I have never heard of any of those dogs mentioned either in pedigrees or on this forum. Maybe they are only obscure names to me because I do not field trial but I thought I knew a little about dogs and bloodlines.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer Guys

Post by topher40 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Johny Crocket is the only one on that list that Isnt a pointer. Mostly older lines.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Nice article on Johnny Crocket in a recent PDJ issue. He was kind of an anomoly. Did not come from big running field trial stock and was not a pre-potent sire. In 1970 he won the national championship and was the first setter to win since the 40's. He was handled by W.C. Kirk.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:41 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Just out of curiousity I was wondering why I never hear of some of the more recent inductees into the FDSB HOF in any pedigrees or recent breedings or litters?

Dogs like War Storm in 2009, Silverwood in 2008, Johnny Crockett in 2007, Calico's Thrillogy in 2009, Bonafide in 2006, Calico's Rebellious Sue in 2005, and Bear Creek Bess in 2004. These are all fairly recent inductees and I had heard of some of them like Elhew Snakefoot, Erin's Southern Justice, Dunn's Fearless Bud, Miller's Silver Bullet and Miller's Silver Ending are all dogs I have heard of from the mid and late 2000's that are now HOF members. Many of the members from the 1990's and early 2000's I have heard of and seen in many pedigrees but not some of the later dogs. I guess some of these dogs could be Setters which I am not familiar with but I thought I knew a fair amount about pointer blood, not everything but a little and I have never heard of any of those dogs mentioned either in pedigrees or on this forum. Maybe they are only obscure names to me because I do not field trial but I thought I knew a little about dogs and bloodlines.
Tommyboy -

Bonafide has been gone a long time. I have a pedigree from 1981 where he is listed as a Grandsire. War Sorm, as mentioned, is gone a long time as well. Bear Creek Bess is also gone quite a while and since she was a female, her exposure to the public was mostly due to the trials she placed in.

Since you are from OKlahoma it is not surprising that you are not very familiar with Calico's Thrillogy or Rebellious Sue. They were both shooting dogs that did the bulk of their performing on the east coast and I would say virtually all of it east of the Mississippi. Thrillogy was quite heavily bred, as I understand it, but apparently not much of his get made it out your way.

RayG

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks Ray most of the blood I am familiar with, at least what is in my area is Miller, Fiddler, Rock Acre, and some Elhew. Some of those lines I am familiar with because my own dogs have it in them and some because friends of mine who are horseback trialers have some dogs bred that way.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Not too difficult to find a thrillogy/Calico litter. There was one offered here not a month ago .
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Well, IIRC Bear Creek Bess was campained heavily and therefore was not bred much if ever, The Callico dogs were run my George Tracy I believe, and IIRC were desended from Raildancer/Guardrail, but not for sure on that but they were bred consistently so there should be some descendants around on the east coast specifically. Silverwood was run by Robin Gates IIRC and he passed not too long ago, but not sure how much he was used but I have heard he trhew rall nice females..Johnny Crocket was of course the last Setter to ever win the Nationals, in 1970 IIRC...he was not bred much but the first dog I ever hunted over was a daughter of crocket named Sue. She was a little 30lb orange and white setter and I was a 10 year old boy when we met in 1976.....I loved that little girl, but she was soft as a marshmellow and would drop to her belly when you went to flush her birds...