Microchipping

sully511

Microchipping

Post by sully511 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Does anybody know any pros/cons to the different microchips available? My choice would be between Home Again or AKC ones (the two types the vet currently has). I've heard the AKC ones migrate a bit and the Home Again one don't but the Home Again is way more expensive. Other than that I don't know that there is a difference. Any info is appreciated.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Microchipping

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 pm

All chips can migrate.

I like the AVID chips and when I order to place in my pups and dogs I get the Euro style as they are readable by more scanners.

What ever you do
Get one from a more known company as they will be more readable. My friend got talked in to some different brand and my universal scanner was unable to read it which my scanner has read chips from dogs that were shipped in from Europe and Canada that was the first chip i have come across that my scanner was not able to read. Many of the non profit shelters have AVIDs universal scanners
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm

I like the AVID chip as well, fortunate though that I have not had to use it.

Terry
Terry & Kim Singsank
Sweetsong Shorthairs

Sweetsong's Wildfire Greta
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=160

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Ditto knine. I chip all my pups and client dogs if requested, using the Euro's and have had the same experience with my Scanner reading all of the major brands.

On a note, I believe all of the modern chips now have a coating that sort of acts like a glue so to speak, to temporarily bond the chip into the muscle to prevent/limit migration as the muscle bonds/heals around the chip.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)