Pheasant Recipes?

Vizsla Vince

Pheasant Recipes?

Post by Vizsla Vince » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:53 pm

Help! I've got a freezer full of pheasant & need some recipe ideas.
Something quick would be nice.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:55 pm

1. Pack in a box with dry ice
2. Affix shipping label to outside of box
3. .......

:D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:02 pm

You'll have to get your own!
Btw, where is Villa Grove? Any good preserves out that way?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:19 pm

Central Illinois, about 20 miles south of Chambana (ILL-INI). And, yeah, there's a great preserve about 3 miles from my house. Because I train there with the owner, I have access to fresh quail year-round.

I missed phesant hunting this year though, pesky final exams and all. Can't say as I mind "settling" for the quail though. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:25 pm

are they whole birds with skin on? just breasts?

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 am

Pheasant Noodle soup

Pheasant hotdish/casserole (depending what part of the country you're in)

Stuffed Pheasant Breast - I usually use feta cheese and spinach

Plain grilled pheasant with favorite sauce

Pheasant stir fry

Pheasant Stroganoff

The old standby - Pheasant and rice baked with cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup

Buffalo Pheasant

Pheasant fingers

Smoked Pheasant

And this one I'm still working on perfecting but it's getting pretty d@mn good - Pheasant sausage

qballs

Post by qballs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:45 pm

www.justgamerecipes.com
This is my favorite.

Breast of Pheasant with Orange and Ginger Sauce

4 Boned and skinned pheasant breasts
6 oz Thinly sliced fresh mozzarella
4 oz Thinly sliced prosciutto or other good ham
1/3 c Mixed chopped herbs such as Parsley, chives and/or basil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tb Unsalted butter
1/4 c Chopped shallots or green onions
3/4 c Chopped mushrooms
3 c Rich chicken stock
1 c Dry white wine
3/4 c Fresh orange juice
2 tb Chopped fresh ginger
3/4 c Heavy cream
1 tb Grated orange zest
dr Fresh lemon juice

Place breasts between layers of plastic wrap and very gently pound to flatten each breast evenly. Place slices of mozzarella and prosciutto on each to cover breast. Sprinkle chopped herbs over all and season lightly with salt and pepper. Fold each breast in half and skewer together. Set aside.

Prepare the sauce by sauteing the shallots and mushrooms in 1 Tbs of butter until lightly colored. Add the stock, wine, orange juice and ginger and cook over high heat until reduced by half. Add cream and reduce again to a light sauce consistency. Strain carefully and add orange zest, salt, pepper and drops of lemon juice to taste. Keep warm.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil to a saute pan and saute prepared breasts over moderate heat, browning on both sides. Place on warm plates and spoon prepared sauce around.

Did this one last night. Fantastic!!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm

I make pheasant noodle soup quite a bit. I add Chicken stock from the store and whatever vegi's you want. Simmer the pheasants in the stock for several hours. Then take out the pheasants to cool for a while so that you can pick off all the meat. While you are doing this, add the vegi's. Let them cook for an hour or so, then put the pheasant back in. Then comes the key part. I hope you guys have these in your area. You have to look in the frozen food section of the grocery store. They are frozen noodles. I believe the brand is "Grandma ______ " They make the soup.

My kids ask me to make that all the time.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:11 pm

I've baked them several times in a cream of mushroom soup. Good stuff but it was a "lets see what I can whip up here" kinda thing.

I have taken them lots of times and marinated them in lemon juice or Worchester sauce and then had some beef or deer chunks marinating in something else and got a whole assortment of fruit and made shishkabobs. That is more my kind of cooking that way.

Fried pheasant!

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:17 pm

[quote="Ayres"]Central Illinois, about 20 miles south of Chambana (ILL-INI). And, yeah, there's a great preserve about 3 miles from my house. Because I train there with the owner, I have access to fresh quail year-round.

I'm north of you in DuPage County. I'll be making a similar deal with the breeder who's selling me my new pup next week. He runs a private club on his farm, (you have to buy one of his V's to join) and I'll be able to train on his farm year round!

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Roast Pheasant with Whisky-Cumberland Sauce Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
User Rating:

1/4 cup Scotch whisky
2 oranges, cut into 1/8ths
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) pheasants
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 slices bacon, halved
Whisky-Cumberland Sauce:
1 cup Scotch whisky
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 cup red currant jelly
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne

Serving suggestion: Wild rice

For the pheasant: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl, toss the oranges with 3 tablespoons of the whisky. Rub the pheasants with the remaining 1 tablespoon of whisky and lightly season with salt and pepper. Stuff each pheasant with the oranges and 1 sprig of fresh thyme, and close the cavities with skewers. Wrap the breast of each pheasant with the bacon and set in a roasting pan. Roast the pheasants until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees F., about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes.

For the Whisky Cumberland Sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the whisky, orange juice, and orange zest, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 50 percent in volume to about 3/4 cup. Add the currant jelly, salt, and cayenne, and stir well.

Cook until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a decorative bowl. Cool slightly before serving.

Remove the bacon from the pheasant breasts, if desired, and cut each bird in half. Discard the oranges and thyme in the cavity. Serve hot with Whisky-Cumberland Sauce and wild rice.

mecicon

Recipe

Post by mecicon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 pm

If you have a turkey fryer.

1. Inject with a marinade i.e. "Tony Chacheres" or I created my own over Thanksgiving. Use what you like, worcestershire, lemon, paprika...

2. Fry in peanut oil just like a turkey.
Vizsla...is where you want to be.