"Pete Rickard's" training scents

brandon

"Pete Rickard's" training scents

Post by brandon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with these. Ijust tried it this afternoon with the four year old setter I've been working with and he didn't catch any scint at all from it. I guess I'm hoping it is the scent that is bad because my wife is attached to the dog now and I don't think I can train him to smell birds.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Re: "Pete Rickard's" training scents

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Oh man, another guy falls for the marketing. Those scents are absolutely worthless, always have been, always will be. The way to train a dog is with BIRDS, not with gimmicks. Go find a local NAVHDA club, or a local trainer, or a hunt club, or best of all get the dog out on wild, young of the year birds (as long as you are not in snake country), but throw that bottle of scent in the dumpster where it belongs.
Last edited by Wagonmaster on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:10 am

I agree with John. There is no substitute for live birds. Think about it how could a person bottle bird scent????????? That stuff is a scam.

brandon

Post by brandon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:57 am

Thats what I was hoping to hear, I'm taking him out to a trainer with some birds this weekend. Still not sure about this dog, he doesn't seem to care about hunting just wants to RUN and worst of all I think is that he runs in a straight line not covering ground like I athink a bird dog should. We're working on it though. Thanks for the advise.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:15 am

brandon wrote:Thats what I was hoping to hear, I'm taking him out to a trainer with some birds this weekend. Still not sure about this dog, he doesn't seem to care about hunting just wants to RUN and worst of all I think is that he runs in a straight line not covering ground like I athink a bird dog should. We're working on it though. Thanks for the advise.
That will probably all change when he get's wind of his first bird. You remember when you were a young boy and cared about nothing but baseball, fishing and buddies then a young girl walked by and winked and the light went on? You didn't even realize what you were missing and neither does the dog yet. The instincts should be there he just needs exposure.