Pheasent Hunting

Deer Hunter

Pheasent Hunting

Post by Deer Hunter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 pm

I have never been pheasent hunting. But that is what i am planing on doing mostly with my dogs. How should a well trained dog hunt pheasents ? Should it or can it pin and hold a pheasent on point ? And if so, should the dog be trained to flush the bird on command ?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:59 pm

This year we killed well over 50 pheasants over my one GSP, all pointed. In some cases she went on point and held birds for as long as 15 minutes before we found her. That would not include hens pointed of course, because we cannot shoot those. Including birds shot over my brothers two shorthairs, which are her littermates, we would be up in the 140-150 range. So I guess they can point and hold em.

If you think they should be able to outsmart each and every one, though, you will be frustrated. Birds do what they want, and some just leave early. Just go find another one.

In my view, a pointing dog needs to be very well trained to handle pheasants, better than many other birds. You can certainly kill many birds over a dog that is just steady, that is, holds its points until you get there, but breaks as soon as the bird flushes. If you have the patience and skill, though, to make the dog fully broke, that is steady to wing and shot, and also will stop to flush, you will be rewarded with more birds. We often encounter situations where the dog points and a bird leaves early, but there are more birds in the vicinity. If the dog breaks with the bird that leaves, it will take out the rest, whereas if it holds until you arrive, you will get some action. We also had one spectacular situation this year where a dog got down in a depression, birds started boiling out all over, and we thought the dog was rooting them out. But when we got down there, he had stopped to flush, never moved, and there were still plenty of birds left. We filled out right there. So good manners pay off, but they are alot of work, and you can have much fun with a dog that is not fully broke also.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:02 pm

U have to remeber 2 things about pheasants. One is females run about 20 yards then flush. Males will run till they cant run no more then flush. You have to pin down a rooster if you hunt with Pointing Dog. But if you hunt with a flusher they just bust them in. Your dogs nont need to be well trained to hunt pheasants. Usually i will take a 6 month pup and put him on pheasants with an experienced dog. once they get the hang of it all dogs are good pheasant dogs. But not all people are good pheasant hunters.

Cant stress this more pheasants dont hold worth a dam. Expect to have your dog point 5 or 6 times before you actually flush one.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:17 pm

Ryan wish you would explain your last post a little more. Think you lost me someplace there when you said a dog doesnt need to be well trained.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:49 am

Here's something you can pretty much count on:

In warm weather, pheasant will run (both hens and roosters).

In cold weather, both will sit tighter and thus hold better for a pointing dog.

One of the biggest problems for a pointing dog (as this is what I hunt with) is getting on a fresh trail of a running bird. (Almost always in warm weather). If the dog gets too far out, it will bump the bird out of range.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:18 pm

Ryan - I will respectfully have to disagree with your post in a couple of areas.
1) Not all dogs are good pheasant dogs. I have hunted over over a show dog (an EP) that could not hunt worth anything but was tops in the ring.

2) In my opinion, a pointing dog (I have GSP's) or any gun dog for that matter should be very well trained to hunt pheasants. I don't want my dogs running all over out of control and busting birds. I want my dogs under control, I want them to find birds, and hold point until I get there and flush the bird. Then I want them to bring the bird back after I shoot it. That all takes training. Without a well trained dog, you might as well just drive and block.

Just my opinion.

Huntumup

Post by Huntumup » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:58 pm

I saw a training video that I bought from cabela's about finishing a dog. I didn't really like the video cause they didn't really train, they just showed you how awesome his dogs were... anyway... he was showing how he likes to treat a running pheasant and it was really neat. Keep in mind he was using a flushing dog.

He would shake a pen raised pheasant a little and lay it down in the weeds then give it enough time to run a little. Then he sent his dog out on the trail and walked behind him. Everytime the dog got out about 30 yards he would blow the sit whistle. He would then walk up to the dog and release it to start trailing again. He did this several times until he was close enough for the dog to flush the bird. It was really neat to watch.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:11 pm

we don't find temperature to be an indicator that the birds will be running, the problem is wind in our area. If there is a wind of about 20 mph or more, regardless of temps, they will be running.

i have found that a dog with extremely good manners, that also has a good nose, will produce more pheasants than a dog with a good nose and few or no manners. when one or more birds wild flush on the dog, if the dog is trained to stop to flush or hold point, there will almost always be a few more when you get up there. whereas if the dog goes with a flushing bird and then roots out somemore, they usually do a good job of it, and there will be none left.

but the degree to which to teach your dog manners is your choice. when you are out hunting no one is going to be looking over your shoulder judging your dog. the measure of quality is whether you have a good time or not, and get birds or not. you do what makes you happy.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:10 pm

Your last paragraph says it all John

Marg

Deer Hunter

Post by Deer Hunter » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:23 pm

Well how far out do you want your dog to go to look for a pheasant without flushing it ?

birddog

Post by birddog » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:04 pm

Unlike a flushing dog where you decide the cover to hunt or where you feel a bird should be and sort of lead them through the field and keep them in close to get a shot at a flushing bird, a pointing dog should take you to birds. As long as that dog is steady to point, range is a matter of opinion. Some think 50 yards is to far while others feel 25 yards is to close. Also the terrain can dictate how much ground the Pointing dog will cover.

Janet

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:18 pm

Dean I agree most show dogs arnt good bird dogs. But a dog running wil busting pheasants will run wild and bust chukar, huns, grouse etc. as well.