Too Late?

pllahntr

Too Late?

Post by pllahntr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm looking for some help....I have a 2 yr old female Weimeraner that has become "scared" in the field. It happened about 1/2 way through last bird season. She was hunting fine, and all of a sudden seemed to become scared/timid every time we went into the field. I'm not sure how it happened or what caused it to take place, but she seems hesitant to enter the field with me. She is naturally a very relaxed, mild-manered dog so her energy level isn't even close to that of my GSP. She comes from good hunting parents and is VERY intelligent, so I know the potential is there. Any suggestions as to where I go from here to get her over her timidness and excited about hunting again??

Thanks!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Too Late?

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 pm

How is she about birds?

If she is bird nuts you have something to work with?

If she doesn't have any excitement for birds..I would just make a nice pet out of her and save the efforts on a dog that has the drive and desire.

If she is bird crazy then you have something to work with but again this will be something you need to evaluate for yourself as to how much time and effort you want to put in

So get her amped up on birds at the vehicle or crate and I would carry one in your hand and start to walk towards the field and while she is in that excited state of mind before she shows any signs of hesitant let it go and let her chase..I would do this until that field means something exciting
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Any idea what spooked her. Another dog beating her up, an e-collar misfire, bees or wasps, somebody helping you train her? Is she afraid of fields when not hunting?

I was thinking that just running her, rewarding her, then throwing in some birds. Get her used to being in fields without pressure, get the fun into it again.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

pllahntr

Post by pllahntr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 am

She does fine when we just go to the fields to run, but when I let her out to hunt and there are lots of other people around, she gets timid and doesn't want to go. She was socialized well as a pup and loves being around people. She loves to go to the field to hunt when it's just her, my GSP, and me, but when others are around she gets a finicky. I can't figure out what scared her last year....it wasn't one event, she just all of a sudden got scared.

I have some homers I just acquired that I'm gonna try to run her on to see if I can get her excited about birds again. Any other ideas??

Thanks for your replies.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

How about when you hunt alone?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:57 am

Did you have where a bird came up and everyone unloaded and then another bird come up and everyone unloaded

That can be very over whelming to a young dog That is one of a few reason I do not like taking first season young dogs dove hunting.To much to fast
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Try this site, these people should be able to help you out

http://huntingweimforum.com/

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm wondering the same thing Greg is. Is she OK with you hunting alone? I understand she's ok when you take her to the field to run alone but carry a shotgun with you on a fun run and see if there is a difference.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 am

"lots of other people around", "hunting" and "young dog" don't ever go together well.

IMHO, the first two don't ever go together well, either.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:22 am

Like Arlette asked, is she sensitive to the gun? I have guided on corporate hunts with 8 - 12 hunters waling in a line (picket?) and my dogs never do well with that type of hunt.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 am

can't make a timid dog do what it doesn't want to do, i think they are harder to work with than a all out go getter with rocks for brains :)

like k9 implied, sometimes you have to make a cost benefit decision. on another note, if you really want to work in crowds i would start solo and work your way up as your dog feels comfortable.... otherwise you might end up with a dog that doesn't even hunt solo.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 am

natetnc wrote:. on another note, if you really want to work in crowds i would start solo and work your way up as your dog feels comfortable.... otherwise you might end up with a dog that doesn't even hunt solo.
I agree wholeheartedly. Hunt her alone, then add just one buddy. If she shuts down, don't make a fuss. Just load her in the truck and continue a little longer with your friend and the gsp. If she's like most hunting dogs, she'll feel left out--especially if the gsp is having a really good time. Don't overdo it, and don't consider it 'hunting'. Consider it a training session. I cured a gun shy dog this way. His drive and jealously were stronger than his fear. One day, he busted out of the truck on his own and joined us. Never had a problem again. Good luck.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Some Pro's will put a shy dog on a chain gang and let it watch the others be trained on bird work. When they just get to watch sometimes it will pull them out of their shyness.