What to play with Puppy?

Qwernt

What to play with Puppy?

Post by Qwernt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 am

So, what kind of games should I play with puppy? Searching for more ideas.

Things I try:
Fetch (in a hallway/enclosed space)
New tricks (wife and daughter are working on "shake" and "roll-over")
walks
"find the ____" - usually cheese, hotdog, etc dropped in the grass.
Sit and pet (this one is getting better - one of my dominance indicators is how well she sits and lets us pet her).

Things I have stayed away from:
Wrestle (working on getting her to be calm)
Tug-o-war (tried once and she switched from rope to trying to grab hand and pull on it)

Things she likes to do by herself
Destroy the _____ (flowers, strawberry patch, bucket/jug/plastic flower pot)
pull the hose (ie tug of war with the house)
Chew (bullystick, sticks, rocks, rotten wood, plants, chairs, anything else in reach).

Hotpepper

Re: What to play with Puppy?

Post by Hotpepper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

A bird dog or hunting dog that would use his nose to find game does not have to be taight that. Most important with puppies is for them to become a good paret of the family or situation that they are in, that is socialize.

Long walks on leads and off leads in safe places. Use the nose to explore and elarn to trust it. They are a dog so eatling a dead bug or frog will not hurt them.
Most impotant, become the buddy thay want you to be.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

dreamsister4ever

Post by dreamsister4ever » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Hello! Looks like you also have a French Brittany. :) We have an 11 week old FB that we are learning with and he definitly keeps us on our toes.

We are actually doing clicker training with him right now because we have been looking into the fact that you can teach them other things with it also. So besides the commands of Stand, Down, Look at me, Whoa, Leave it, Place, etc (no sit because we eventually hope to trial him). These he's picks up really fast. But once he knows the Place command we can move it along to playing the shell game. Grated its a scent game but if it keeps him busy less he's getting into things. This site explains it from how to start him on it to the end.

If you also get him used to clicker training there are a bunch of YouTube videos that your wife and daughter can look up to teach her. Like picking up her toys whens shes done with them. My friends American Brittany can do this and its very convienent.

Also you mentioned that she likes to get into the flowers and garden. Try getting her own area where its ok to put a sand box (we use a kids green turtle sandbox with a lid.) You can bury her milk bones or toys and shes gotta dig to find them.

We also play with Finn, our FB, in a 48" kiddie pool. He goes in with my two daughters and has a blast. We have stuck a rubber ChuckIT balls in and when he digs at them they pop up and splash the girls. Fun for everyone. We also take him with us swimming in the lake and stream if we go fishing. Waters easy on his joints and it poops him out.

Other than that we are doing some of the same games you are. Other ones that we do are Let's go play in the Woods and Follow Me. Keeps tabs on me while we are playing in the field and sometimes I will turn the other directions and He comes tearing after me because he wants to be with me.

I also keep him tethered to me in the house. He is still pottytraining so it helps with me keeping an eye on him, but it also helps with building our bond. I want him interested in me as much as possible. I want to be his world and so far its worked. Granted I am a newbie at training hunting dogs though I grew up with them, and I might be doing this wrong but I try to get creative it keep no only him wore out physically but mentally too! The find it game sounds like fun, I am going to have to try that one.

These are jmo and I could be wrong but its whats working for me on keeping Finn occupied while spending time with him.

Mary

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 am

I will drag a live quail through the grass then plant it, then from there drag another and plant it, then antother. Teaches tracking and a prize at the end.

Do that wil dead birds to.

I wrestle with my pups and they wrestle with others, they learn communication that way. NO, EASY, enough. etc. Not really why I do it. I just like playing too. :lol:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick