NAVHDA

Birddogz

NAVHDA

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:38 pm

What breeders (kennel) in any breed have been the most successful in NAVHDA? Just curious.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

to the point

Re: NAVHDA

Post by to the point » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Sharp Shooters GSP
Shooting Star GSP

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Sharp Shooters GSP
Shooting Star GSP
+1

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 pm

What breed are you interested in??

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:17 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:What breed are you interested in??
I have owned and hunted with most. I have never owned an EP. I really am looking for versatile breeders, not breeds. I have a DD and she is turning out to be a heck of a dog. I'm always trying to educate myself on all options. I live in ND, and duck hunt as well as upland (sharpies, huns, phez)
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Cedarwood Pudelpointer

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 pm

There is a DD in my NAVHDA chapter and she is a heck of a dog. But...I am partial to GSPs.

There are 2 Cedarwood PPs in my chapter and they are excellent dogs.

Again...what do you want?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:07 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:There is a DD in my NAVHDA chapter and she is a heck of a dog. But...I am partial to GSPs.

There are 2 Cedarwood PPs in my chapter and they are excellent dogs.

Again...what do you want?
I want a great versatile dog. One that can hunt with stamina and style in the prairies for sharp tails and Huns and range to 250-300 yards, and then in the evenings sit quietly and retrieve ducks and geese in cold water. Then hunt pheasants in cattails in late season and know to stay close. Be able to track a crippled rooster 200 yards and bring it too me with a soft mouth. Be able to take cold/brutal weather and hunt through it. A coat that can take considerable abrasion.

All of this and a dog that will come inside and sleep on the couch, and make no fuss.

larue

Post by larue » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:32 am

your expectations are quite high.A dog who can hunt early season sharptails in the heat with style and range,will not have the same coat,as a dog who can handle very cold weather.
You will not get a dog with all the things you want.You might be able to take a talented pup,and with time,training and a ton
of wild birds,get a dog who is capable of doing most of what you want.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 am

larue wrote:your expectations are quite high.A dog who can hunt early season sharptails in the heat with style and range,will not have the same coat,as a dog who can handle very cold weather.
You will not get a dog with all the things you want.You might be able to take a talented pup,and with time,training and a ton
of wild birds,get a dog who is capable of doing most of what you want.
My DD is on track to do what I want.With the exception of making no fuss in the house. :lol: In ND it is in the 40s in the morning and evening in September. Freeze warnings start in mid September. There are lots of wild birds and oodles of waterfowl. I do expect a lot, I know. My Britts are fantastic upland dogs, but just get too cold in the blind. Also, they don't like to sit still in the blind as easily as my DD. I love them the same, but see their physical and mental limitations.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:28 am

Husker/Birddogz;

Sounds like you are very satisfied with your DD; if that is the case why are you considering other breeds?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am

When in the VC in O4, My brace mate was a Cedar woods Pudel Pointer, He was large and hairy. He did the 1 hour long brace with great stamina in MO 85 degree heat in Sept. He passed ( perfect score). As we did, not so perfect. His range was around 100 top 150 in fairly high cover, If I remember right. It was just a bit smaller and bit slower than Mercy. But I left that field impressed. I think he was around a 60 pound dog.

You can get a Pudel pointer that is not so hairy, (shorter coat) even in that breeders house, If I remember right.

I think Crystal Lake has some GSP's with nice stiff coats on their GSP's. A 60 pound GSP will do what you want if from the right breeder.

Heck a good Brittany will do what you want, 45 to 50 pounder.

The hard part of what you ask for is the heat part. But with proper, acclimation and conditioning you can mitigate that problem, with any dog, (mostly).IMHO
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:45 am

ckirsch wrote:Husker/Birddogz;

Sounds like you are very satisfied with your DD; if that is the case why are you considering other breeds?
I just like the idea of owning different breeds. A pointer hunts differently than a DD for example. The overlap of their hunting styles, I believe is an interesting concept. By the way, I am not sure if my DD is going to satisfy me completely yet. She is on track, but this year will be very telling. This is her first full season on waterfowl and upland combined. Last year was a crappy year for me. 3 blizzards and 6-8 ft. drifts in the roads really limited my hunting. She got some good exposure, but this year should be 3 times last year.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 am

I would suggest a shorthair, I believe that the DD you have can do all you want but a well bred shorthair can do most of that as well.
Kennels there are plenty out there that would fit your bill.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

to the point

Post by to the point » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm

He did not ask about dogs. What KENNEL was the MOST successful in NAVHDA.

gdog

Post by gdog » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:39 pm

Another PP breeder to check out is Larry Stone out of Bend OR.
http://www.stonesthrowgundogs.com/index.html
Last edited by gdog on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:15 pm

You don't describe what you are looking for from a field dog. I think if you are looking for a 3-400 yd dog for the CRP, your best bet would be to look into a GSP or longtail. I have DDs and have hunted over a few and I think they are most comfortable in the 100-200 yd range when you put them in the wide open spaces. A few may push farther than that, but I look at the average range a dog is comfortable with. Vdogs want to be with you too much ... longtails are willing to see you less.

There are many good GSPs. NAVHDA has been taken over by the GSP which now outnumbers many of the other breeds combined. I am sure you will find some big going GSPs that can sit in the blind...just look for a breeder that believes in the "switch".

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:39 pm

GSPs make awesome duck dogs. Cold....no sweat. They have a lot of drive.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:12 pm

A couple that breeders that come to mind are:

www.thunderheadgsps.com
www.cadenskennels.com

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:50 pm

You might check out Duane Stahl in Freeman, SD. His kennel has turned out quite a few VC wirehairs, and has a couple of nice litters on the ground now.