Where to Grouse Hunt?

rapid fire

Where to Grouse Hunt?

Post by rapid fire » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:13 am

No I'm not looking for coordinates. I have never grouse hunted before, but would love to give it a try this year. I've been doing a lot of searches, but the info is hard to work through. I am in Georgia and am somewhat leaning toward the Upper Peninsula. Any info on public grounds with decent grouse populations is greatly appreciated. PM if you'd like or call me at 770-826-4975. Obviously, the closer to Georgia the better, but I will drive for good numbers. Thanks in advance, Mark

Birddogz

Re: Where to Grouse Hunt?

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 am

gpblitz wrote:THE U.P. , Northern WI. And north eastern MN. are all good chioces. Cycles in all three are good. Best time After Oct. 1. Most leaves are off trees.
Exactly right. Near Clam Lake in N. Wisconsin has always been really good! :D

Honestly, if I were you I would go to Ontario. Go through the UP and up to Wawa and White river. You will see more grouse that you could ever imagine, and you won't see another bird hunter. There is public land everywhere with nice snowmobile trails to walk. Go around Oct. 1st as well. It wouldn't be any further than Wisconsin or Minnesota.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

jbo

Post by jbo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm

There are no grouse in MI, I would go to canada. :D

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Honestly, if I were you I would go to Ontario. Go through the UP and up to Wawa and White river. You will see more grouse that you could ever imagine, and you won't see another bird hunter. There is public land everywhere with nice snowmobile trails to walk.
I havent heard that place mentioned in years. I have spent a few seasons near there in Ontario logging, hunting and fishing. Wawa was the closest town, two hours away, which at that time was nothing more than a general store and a post office. Someone went into town once a week mostly to pick up our mail. We were up on Dog lake and saw lots of Grouse and Water Fowl, also lots of Moose and Bear. I took a canoe trip one year from Dog Lake down the White river to the Bay. I love that place and hope to get back up there one day. It will be Wisconsin this year, have a buddy with a cabin we are going to stay in and hunt. I cant wait.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:05 pm

5 to 10 year growths,
After leaves down easiest. HEHEHE :twisted:
Rasberry bushes,
Alder growths, drainage ditches,
Poplar growths,
Apple orchards after the frost hits.
Logging company lands. Any of the growing cuts.
Edges tranistions.
On Cold windy rainy days or snowy days look under and in dark woods The 2 to 3" caliper spruces. Tough to get them but they will be there. Need two foks to get em out of there.

Have fun.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:54 am

RF,
Georgia boy and Birddogz are giving you good advise, Althought I was suprised to see someone give the place away on the forum. It happens to be a great place to train your dog, lot of Grouse all over that area.

I will give you another location that might be closer for you, up around Pittsburg, NH toward the Canada line on the paper company land, there is still great Grouse hunting.
RGD/Dave

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:RF,
Georgia boy and Birddogz are giving you good advise, Althought I was suprised to see someone give the place away on the forum. It happens to be a great place to train your dog, lot of Grouse all over that area.

I will give you another location that might be closer for you, up around Pittsburg, NH toward the Canada line on the paper company land, there is still great Grouse hunting.
RGD/Dave
Catskills or Fingerlakes? It has been thin there in the past.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 am

Ohio...you could be the hunter to shoot the last ruffed grouse and make a magazine cover.

North Central Pennsylvania...lot of public ground and the PGC does a great job with their gamelands/grouse....plus one has the tradition and a view of the Grand Canyon of the East.

Northern Great Lake states...look for corporate ownership, any early successional up to 15 years or so and trucks with RGS stickers on the window.
The cycle is trending down west to east, FWIW.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 am

Rapid Fire,
The hunting in WI,MN,MI is all very good. You may shoot your limit, but it won't be an every day thing. If you travel to Ontario, which is just as far as MN or N. WI for you, limiting will be very easy. I was limited within 2 hours every day. I know limiting isn't the objective necessarily, but I am just trying to let you understand how MUCH better the hunting is there. I would average seeing 10-15 grouse an hour, sometimes even more. I found up to 20 grouse in one group. It was truly amazing. The dog work is insane. The birds see almost no hunting pressure and are not super intelligent. It really allows for a very relaxing and wonderful trip. The public hunting land is endless for all practical purposes. Besides grouse, you will see some of the most breath taking scenery that the Earth has to offer. The shores of Northern Lake Superior are awe inspiring and pristine. I highly recommend this trip.

Stay in Wawa.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:48 am

If heading to Canada just remember to check out the regulations for non-resident hunters entering with firearms. Entering with a handgun is prohibited and a Canadian approved safety course may be required.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 pm

It's not much farther to Wawa, but I'm not sure about the regulations. I am assuming I would have to have a passport as well. I think mine is expired and others in the group may not have one as well. Any info on the regs?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 pm

You will need a passport yes, but that is really SIMPLE! Don't let that be the reason you don't go. Last time i went there was a 25 dollar charge for every shotgun you take in. No big deal at all. You will need records of your dogs shots, but they never even asked me for mine. You will not regret this trip!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 pm

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/info ... ex-eng.htm

With guns, it is as or more important to have gun info/forms to leave Canada as to get in, IME.
Make copies of all documents.
Traveled to Pelee Island a few times with no issues but individual border folks can make or break the pleasantness of the crossing.

Dogs need a rabies schedule and I always get a vet-signed health certificate as well...can't hurt, border people like paperwork.
Some have said there are conditions on dog food...likely only if it contains certain ingrediants re the cow deal of a while back.
A precheck of food fitness may save some time explaining or pleading if dogs are along.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 pm

25$ for 60 day gun permit Canada.
Fill out in Triplicat, do not sign it till in front of agent at border.

Make sure to do a declarations form. For the return trip.

Have dog Vacinations, Primaraly Rabies certificates.

I have never been checked either way when going to trials in CA.

Rick

Rick

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:44 pm

It really isn't difficult.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:23 am

I've decided to try the UP around Paulding this time. Maybe next year I will mess with crossing the border. Any info on the area I'm going? I've already been looking at the Aspen maps.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:57 pm

5-7 year old stands seem to be the most productive for me. Hunt the edge of a cutover next to hardwoods.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Don't overlook Northwest Pennsylvania. The Alleghany National Forest has some outstanding grouse habitat right now. You can check with the US Forest Service at 814-726-129, the Pa Bureau of Forestry at 814-647-8901, or the Pa Game Commission at 814-432-3187. One of them should be able to give you the locations of hundreds of acres of recently select cut or 5 year old clear cut forest that is thick with grouse. The area has good accommodations and it won't break your bank account...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:28 pm

PA does have good grouse hunting, but those darn hills! :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:31 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Don't overlook Northwest Pennsylvania. The Alleghany National Forest has some outstanding grouse habitat right now. You can check with the US Forest Service at 814-726-129, the Pa Bureau of Forestry at 814-647-8901, or the Pa Game Commission at 814-432-3187. One of them should be able to give you the locations of hundreds of acres of recently select cut or 5 year old clear cut forest that is thick with grouse. The area has good accommodations and it won't break your bank account...

How about the area of the Forest on the NYS side?

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 pm

I can't say for sure, cuz I've never hunted New York, but the National Forest is managed the same on both sides of the state line, so I have to imagine that it's got to be pretty good. There is alot more public hunting access in Pa tho', so unless the License fees in New York are alot less... are you a new York resident?
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:56 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:I can't say for sure, cuz I've never hunted New York, but the National Forest is managed the same on both sides of the state line, so I have to imagine that it's got to be pretty good. There is alot more public hunting access in Pa tho', so unless the License fees in New York are alot less... are you a new York resident?
No NJ, but I get up that way often and might try it instead of the Finger Lake areas. Catskills have gotten real thin at least the places I know.

The area south of Salamanca to the Penn border is sparsely populated with peopl and the orphan area of that forest.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:00 am

You're right the New York side is largely overlooked and it does have alot to offer. Have some friends that hunt deer across the border, but I can't say about the grouse. It may just be a forgotten gem... The Pa side has seen a decline in population tho. McKean County only has about 45,000 residents and it's the size of Rhode Island. The National Forest covers a very large chunk of it too. I can honestly say the grouse hunting here has never been better. Warren County is the same thing. PM me if you'd like some info on accommodations on the Pa side and I can at least point you to the better areas for lodging and food... good luck!
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:20 am

Mountaineer wrote:
North Central Pennsylvania...lot of public ground and the PGC does a great job with their gamelands/grouse....plus one has the tradition and a view of the Grand Canyon of the East.
SHHHHHHHHH, don't listen to this guy. There are no grouse in Pennsylvania :wink:

It's our state bird for nothin'

Bill

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:01 am

hee hee hee... we gots grouse bigger 'n bobcats... don't even hafta shoot'em, just bop'em on the head!!! they're jumpin' up & down on the banks yellin "take me... take me!!!"... :mrgreen:
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:22 am

Ofcourse if you really don't mind a drive. You have 3 forest grouse and sharptails available to you in Idaho or Montana in Oct.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 am

Not against PA, but it doesn't look like their season is open when I can go.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:28 am

RF,
Not that I want another experienced Grouse hunter in our North Central Pa Grouse woods, but you must be planning on an early season trip,
Pa's Grouse season runs from about the 15th of October till almost the end of January, and we can train in the SGL/SFL with our dogs all year around.
We have decent grouse numbers, the hunting can be extremely good if you have a serious Grouse dog. My mountain home is in the Potter/Tioga forest just off
Pine Creek and right against the SGL/SFL. We got a few Grouse here.
RGD/Dave

Heston our latest Ryman Gun Dog pup with his 1st Grouse point right outside our front door

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Yup... I live in and hunt the National Forest around the McKean and Warren County area. We have alot of grouse right now. I went and got my first bird dog this year because the deer have been thinned out and I would rather pusue the challenges and excitement of grouse... took a long walk last year and flushed 6 grouse by myself... without a dog... that was consistant with the numbers I saw everytime I took the shotgun for a walk. It's tuff to get up off yer knees after pointing your own bird and get a shot off, so i figgured it was time to get a good dog! :roll: If my neighbors see this post they'll be peeing on my firewood.. so keep it a secret!
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:06 pm

You're right. I'm looking at leaving out on Oct. 11. I may have to start looking into December and maybe go twice.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:03 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Yup... I live in and hunt the National Forest around the McKean and Warren County area. We have alot of grouse right now. I went and got my first bird dog this year because the deer have been thinned out and I would rather pusue the challenges and excitement of grouse... took a long walk last year and flushed 6 grouse by myself... without a dog... that was consistant with the numbers I saw everytime I took the shotgun for a walk. It's tuff to get up off yer knees after pointing your own bird and get a shot off, so i figgured it was time to get a good dog! :roll: If my neighbors see this post they'll be peeing on my firewood.. so keep it a secret!
Short Fat,
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but 6 grouse in a long walk is fair at best. When I hunt in Ontario I see 40-50 in 2 hours. Just saying, if the guy is going to travel...

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm

When I hunt in Ontario I see 40-50 in 2 hours. Just saying, if the guy is going to travel...
Birddogz,

We tried to give them some sound advice on where to get into some Grouse but you know what they say "you can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink". I am locked into Wisconsin this year but would love to get back to that spot in Ontario. Might just have to meet up next year?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:24 am

Birddogz,
You are not being a jerk, you are telling the truth, our Grouse hunting in Pa is very challenging and a 6 to 10 point day is not a real good day in Canada or NH
or some states out west. However if you like to hunt spooky birds with a good dog a Grouse hunter can have a ball in NC or SW, Pa. Remember the limit in Pa is 2 Grouse a day.
RGD/Dave

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:37 am

Sorry... but I did say it was without a dog, and i'm sure there were many more grouse in the area... It's very different terrain here than in Ontario, and the grouse here are not found in herds... just trying to help and certainly didn't mean to impune Ontario's honor... :wink: I'd like to head north of the border myself...
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:23 am

I would not know what to do with 40 to 50 birds in 2 hours. :mrgreen: What are you, chasing the same bird around in circles till it falls over from exhaustion and counting each contact? :lol: I consider 20 or so different birds in 6 hours of hunting pretty darn good. :wink:

Just kidding with ya.
Rick

Rick

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 am

I am definitely considering Ontario for next year, but don't really want to get my feet wet across the border. Y'all have all been very helpful, but at some point, I have to just pick a place and start making plans. It sounds like I have plenty of options and I'm still young, so one day maybe I will hit all the spots and then help the next guy who needs to know where to start.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:22 pm

My daughter runs on the Cross Country team at her college and they frequently run in central Ohio... We make a couple of weekend trips to see her run... does anyone know of good public land access for grouse or pheasant in Ohio?..
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:I would not know what to do with 40 to 50 birds in 2 hours. :mrgreen: What are you, chasing the same bird around in circles till it falls over from exhaustion and counting each contact? :lol: I consider 20 or so different birds in 6 hours of hunting pretty darn good. :wink:

Just kidding with ya.
Rick
Honestly, I didn't know what to do either! :lol: The first day I hunted, I shot my limit so fast that I felt strange, kind of like when you're a kid and you rip open your Christmas presents in 2 seconds and you're like "Is that all of them?" :lol: After that I decided to shoot only one bird per point, as they were getting up in 3s and 4s consistently, and sometimes in double digits. I had never seen anything like it. Every 200 yards I would hit another covey/flock of grouse. Shooting 5 grouse is ridiculously easy, and the dog work is crazy. I must confess that I haven't been up there in years, but my buddy still goes and says it is the same every year. Obviously, you have to be in the right cover, but that is easy. We would shoot our limit of grouse and then go fishing. Ruffed grouse and Brook trout for dinner almost every night, man that is a great trip. :D

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Birddogz,
When you have a Grouse location such as this, you can use it for training, and only shoot Grouse when your dog does everything you demand absolutley perfectly.
This developes big time Grouse dogs.
RGD/Dave

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 pm

When I was a kid we had bird numbers like that in Northern Sask. The only folks who had dogs and shotguns were the foreigners. Everyone else hunted them the "real" way by stalking them with a 22. On a good year you can still see birds like that in NW Alberta but there most of the folks who have dogs are tickled pink if the dog trees the whole brood and barks treed. There is some debate about whether to use a 22 or 410/20ga but most would agree it would be folly to make them fly first. Again, the majority of the birds are taken by folks with no dog and a 22. When birds are plentiful like that most folks see the dog as a liability - unless they are the "do no harm" variety.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:21 pm

I wasn't allowed to shoot grouse until I could hit 4 out of 5 whiskey bottle caps in the sand bank at the dump from 20 paces. Head shots were the only thing allowed so as to not ruin any meat or lose any wounded birds. Shotguns were abhorred because the pellets ruined too much meat and too many teeth. Driving the roads at dusk was common by many but not my dad - it cost too much and was not effective enough. He showed us how to find the edges where the grouse were most likely to be and walk them.

Now I have a dog that does the hunting for me - because I like it that way.