General Board Observation

kylenicholas02

General Board Observation

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:40 am

So with new GunDog boards coming about I continually find myself venturing further from liking this board as much as I once did...

I think the posters need to think about what they are saying prior to click submit... I feel like there's a lot of critical comments scrutinizing people's training and dogs. Everyone trains different and breeds different and everyone's opinion of the broke dog is different. There's a lot of dogs on here that people brag about that I wouldn't waste field corn feeding, and then they criticize the same dog I just thought looked great. Helpful suggestions are one thing... Assumptions and personal cuts towards another and they're training practices, are just attacks on another person.

All I'm saying is evaluate the things you're posting prior to clicking submit, it's ridiculous that it's come to this, but then again... I guess that's why there's democrats and republicans.
KN

tn red

Re: General Board Observation

Post by tn red » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 am

different and everyone's opinion of the broke dog is different. There's a lot of dogs on here that people brag about that I wouldn't waste field corn feeding, and then they criticize the same dog I just thought looked great

Do you mean comments like this one ? :roll:

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:29 am

Exactly comments like that... Which is why this is the first time I publicly said that and not directed toward a specific individual or his dog...
KN

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 am

A forum is made up of people - the good, the bad and the ugly. When I start to grumble to myself about a forum , I just take a hiatus for a while. You aren't going to change people. You can only change yourself - maybe by shutting down the computer for a while.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 am

As far as Forum's I think people on this one are really more considerate than on most of the other one's I have visited, which does'nt mean that some thing's said can't be misconstrude; unfortunatly myself included don't always have thing's understoud the way we meant them, otherwise taken out of context.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:20 am

Totally agree. Many forums I am on are far worse. I really do think people often take things the wrong way. I think it stems from the fact that the written word is hard to interpret when compared to the spoken one. There is no inflection or emotion that can be heard.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 am

Some discussions get out of hand, but by and large, this forum is as civil as any board I've been on, and far, FAR better than a couple of them.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am

I think it's cyclic. We have our bad times.

We have new people come on, moderators, including myself, can be having a bad time, etc.

Overall, I think it's pretty civil here.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I think this board is very well moderated. Some of the most heated arguments bring the most information, as long as they are cutoff before they become destructive. I think the moderators on this board are very good at finding the right time to close it down.

If you look at criticism in a different light, you will find that you can improve greatly as a trainer by injecting that criticism into your own training. I don't think it's right to attack people, but if someone posts on here asking for help they are probably going to get told what they are doing wrong. If you need help, something obviously is not going right.

Everyone has an opinion, and no they don't all stink, some of them smell quite nice.

No dog or training method is perfect, however by being critical of ourselves and others we can get pretty close.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 pm

This is a great forum. From time to time things may start to get out of hand but the moderators take care of it. There are people who ask a question, wanting to hear a particular answer and get offended when it was not what they wanted to hear. Not much can be done about that. There are some heated discussions because most of us are passionate about our dogs and I don't have a problem as long as there is no name calling. That is when I lose my cool.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:06 pm

kn- you want a politically correct forum where everybody is nice-

just say goodbye- see how long before you come back and visit

can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Doggone it...now I have to think before i click? Is there no end to the insanity? There is no quicker way to incite an onslaught of critical reaction to a comment than painting with a broad brush, and it is most certainly the least effective way to change behavior I think...
On the other hand... :?: I am going to try it.
" I want all you dogs to point with your heads high and tails up...oh and look like you are enjoying it!"
I just yelled that at the kennel of dogs, I will let you know how it works.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Chukar12 wrote: " I want all you dogs to point with your heads high and tails up...oh and look like you are enjoying it!"
I just told my 4 who are laying here by me- it's 102 outside- to bark and bite me if I get to worked up and start laughing- so as not to offend anyone by my ramblings-

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Doggone it...now I have to think before i click? Is there no end to the insanity? There is no quicker way to incite an onslaught of critical reaction to a comment than painting with a broad brush, and it is most certainly the least effective way to change behavior I think...
On the other hand... :?: I am going to try it.
" I want all you dogs to point with your heads high and tails up...oh and look like you are enjoying it!"

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:I think this board is very well moderated. Some of the most heated arguments bring the most information, as long as they are cutoff before they become destructive. I think the moderators on this board are very good at finding the right time to close it down.

If you look at criticism in a different light, you will find that you can improve greatly as a trainer by injecting that criticism into your own training. I don't think it's right to attack people, but if someone posts on here asking for help they are probably going to get told what they are doing wrong. If you need help, something obviously is not going right.

Everyone has an opinion, and no they don't all stink, some of them smell quite nice.

No dog or training method is perfect, however by being critical of ourselves and others we can get pretty close.
Constructive criticism is great and I think most of us welcome it. But I have been on this forum only for a short time and have noticed there are some "know it alls" that offer nothing but smartass remarks toward others that contribute in no way to the topic of the thread. Im on other forums that this kind of crap aint tolerated. Maybe the moderators should do a little better job moderating.
Last edited by GSPlover on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Being constructive about gun dogs requires that thread and or question relates to gun dogs. Of course, the other use of a forum is for shooting the breeze about dogs and the like ... let's face it after a bit the same thoughts are recycled anyway ... we aren't dealing in macro economics trying to strengthen the infrastructure of the republic... just lying about dogs...

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:08 pm

you've been on here less than a month- yet you can see and critize-

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Being constructive about gun dogs requires that thread and or question relates to gun dogs. Of course, the other use of a forum is for shooting the breeze about dogs and the like ... let's face it after a bit the same thoughts are recycled anyway ... we aren't dealing in macro economics trying to strengthen the infrastructure of the republic... just lying about dogs...
I agree. We are here to talk about dogs that make us proud. Nothing else. Some, just will never get it.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm

My apologies ... criticize what? My comment was genuine in that imo a forum has two purposes useful information about dog training and shooting the breeze, the former requiring some skill and experience and the latter well that's just fun. No? Maybe I will see it more clearly after 13 months ... 14 months?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm

It's hot, it's the off season. People get testy. Happens every year on every bird dog forum I have been a part of.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:10 pm

my apoligies Chukar12- was in the dirrection of the other fella

61 years- long past listening to rantings

think I'll vacate for awhile-

wems- contact me when you feel just

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 am

Shadow wrote:my apoligies Chukar12- was in the dirrection of the other fella

61 years- long past listening to rantings

think I'll vacate for awhile-
The best thing that could happen to this forum.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 am

GSPlover wrote:there are some "know it alls" that offer nothing but smartass remarks toward others
GSPlover wrote: The best thing that could happen to this forum.
Hmmmm.... Funny how some can't take their own advice.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:18 am

I think that why this board tends to get a little more testy than the others is, there are a wider range of dog people on here. There are people that own about every breed under the sun. And they are pretty sure that that breed is the best thing ever. Also, I think another factor is the level of knowledge on here varies. You have someone who is new to owning a dog to some people field trial and have been very succesful. I think the combination of these things can equal different opinions which equals arguements. JMO

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:55 am

slistoe wrote:
GSPlover wrote:there are some "know it alls" that offer nothing but smartass remarks toward others
Does this sound like Im giving advice to anyone? I dont think so. Go back and search some of the posts and you will see why this is the best thing that could happen to this forum.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 am

Go look at the "Look at this big rascal" thread (among others)...I believe it is proving the point of this original poster's observation.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 am

GSPlover wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Does this sound like Im giving advice to anyone? I dont think so. Go back and search some of the posts and you will see why this is the best thing that could happen to this forum.
I saw where Shadow made a comment on your training that was on topic and pertinent and you made a sarcastic reply. Is that what you mean?

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 am

Na...not just me. These un-called for posts that you call "on topic and pertinent" are all over this forum. Guess GD forum is not what I thought. Ill be moving on to a better one. Thanks.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:08 am

Your objectivity suffers - I called one post "on topic and pertinent" and you extrapolated it to "all over the forum". You made a sarcastic comment to a legitimate post and are complaining about the board. But it would be unfortunate if you were to move along - every time a poster is lost another viewpoint is lost and the collective knowledge will suffer.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am

No matter where you go or what sites you visit, there will always be "know it alls", and negative comments. It's just going to happen from time to time. It is important to weigh the benefits and as far as I am concerned the benfits far out weigh the negatives here on GDF. Some of the most interesting & informative threads were barely balancing on the edge of insanity :) Most of the intersting threads happen to be about subjects that members are extremely passionate about and there are always two points of view! I think the moderators do a nice job of letting the threads move and evolve, but police them when they begin to get out of hand. Eveyone is entitled to their opinion, just as long as they remember that someone else along the way will more than likely will disagree with that opinion.
Bill L.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am

Everyone has a different way of training and different uses for their dog. I have talked to alot of great people on here and learned some great stuff too. Everyone on here needs to realize their dog is their dog and no one elses. My dogs have a fine balance of family pet and hunter. My dogs may not be perfect or even close to your dog, but they are good enough for me.

jbo

Post by jbo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

collinedward wrote:Everyone has a different way of training and different uses for their dog. I have talked to alot of great people on here and learned some great stuff too. Everyone on here needs to realize their dog is their dog and no one elses. My dogs have a fine balance of family pet and hunter. My dogs may not be perfect or even close to your dog, but they are good enough for me.
I agree, good post

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Any information on here is free and not gospel , so take for what it's worth.
Just folks sharing info about a topic they have in common. Good luck finding a free website that fills all your expectations.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 pm

You guys do know that by all the complaining about people on here that some forum members do that some of the top trainers and trialers that actually have something constructive to offer are more reluctant to offer their valued free advice in fear that it may be misconstrued or taken out of context. I agree that some people on here are pushy with their advice but most people on here are just trying to be helpful. If you don't like someones advice then ignore it and use the advice you do like.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:29 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:You guys do know that by all the complaining about people on here that some forum members do that some of the top trainers and trialers that actually have something constructive to offer are more reluctant to offer their valued free advice in fear that it may be misconstrued or taken out of context. I agree that some people on here are pushy with their advice but most people on here are just trying to be helpful. If you don't like someones advice then ignore it and use the advice you do like.
Now that is good advice.

Additionally, there are a select few that simply cannot be reasoned with. I am not talking about a difference in opinions, I am talking about people who refuse to listen to the other side every time. But I don't mind, I either ignore or have some fun. You really shouldn't take these discussions personal. I don't believe a person will find a better forum concerning gun dogs. There are too many good and knowledgeable people on here to get uptight over a very small minority. JMO

Charlie

elvisclark54

Post by elvisclark54 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Fella's

Look at this information this way. If a guy has time to post full time exaggerating on all their experiences ask yourself one question. When does all this dog training take place?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:43 pm

I will say this, that as far as EP's are concerned I looked for other forums, not because I wanted to leave this forum but for diversity reasons. I did not find much in the way of EP's. I do belong to one other forum but most of the people on that forum also belong to this one. This is a fantastic forum as far as the amount of free advice you can garner from professional and amateur trainers, field trialers, owners of trial dogs who may not necessarily do their own training or trialing but know alot about breeding and pedigrees, hunters who probably know more about the states and areas they bird hunt than the department of wildlife for those corresponding states, kennel owners, owners of hunting guide services who conduct hunts for wild and released birds, even some wildlife department employees from different states, and veterinarians. Where else are you going to have access to this broad a range of information from professionals and those who live our passion every day? No where that I have found. If someone upsets you then conduct yourself like you would in a face to face situation. Tell them you don't care to hear their nonsense and let it go in one ear and out the other.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I will say this, that as far as EP's are concerned I looked for other forums, not because I wanted to leave this forum but for diversity reasons. I did not find much in the way of EP's. I do belong to one other forum but most of the people on that forum also belong to this one. This is a fantastic forum as far as the amount of free advice you can garner from professional and amateur trainers, field trialers, owners of trial dogs who may not necessarily do their own training or trialing but know alot about breeding and pedigrees, hunters who probably know more about the states and areas they bird hunt than the department of wildlife for those corresponding states, kennel owners, owners of hunting guide services who conduct hunts for wild and released birds, even some wildlife department employees from different states, and veterinarians. Where else are you going to have access to this broad a range of information from professionals and those who live our passion every day? No where that I have found. If someone upsets you then conduct yourself like you would in a face to face situation. Tell them you don't care to hear their nonsense and let it go in one ear and out the other.
Good post Tom,
Charlie

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks Charlie, I appreciate it.

north country guy

Post by north country guy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Well Sorry Guys And Gals But I Am Here To STAY !!!!!!! G.D.F = Some Great Advice :D
Last edited by north country guy on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:28 pm

The only thing wrong with dogs is people...and that can be most of us from time to time.

A few folks need to get a life.

There are few "bad" dogs...just more than a few dogs that are in the wrong hands.

There is no right style of dog for everyone...so the "mine is best" argument is a waste of time.

Its a free country...we may have to suffer through that from time to time...but I'd rather have it that way.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm just an ol southern country boy, so don't read a lot into this statement, but I read this quote on a friend's web page recently, and it says it all.

"How a person treats you is their karma. How you react to it is yours".

The sun rises and sets whether you're pissed off or not. Let it go.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 pm

If someone upsets you then conduct yourself like you would in a face to face situation.
I tried that a few times but felt really silly yelling "you chicken%#!* m%&!!!843e4er, I'll kick your #$$!!" at my computer then jumping up, running in a serpentine fashion thru the house, outside to my car then speeding off. Just kinda got old sneaking back to the house hoping the coast was clear after dark all the time. Now I just try and stay outta conflicts...when I'm logged in as dgfavor anyway...

asc

Post by asc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 am

I enjoy this forum. I don't trial but like learn about it, found out about snake avoidance training from Submariner, definitely a plus :D . So I guess my question is, What breed of CAT makes the best mouser? :roll: :mrgreen:
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:09 am

Maine Coon Cat!!! :lol: I hate cats. :twisted:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 am

Maine coon...properly trained.

I like cats....they illustrate how lucky I am to have dogs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 am

DGFavor wrote:
If someone upsets you then conduct yourself like you would in a face to face situation.
I tried that a few times but felt really silly yelling "you chicken%#!* m%&!!!843e4er, I'll kick your #$$!!" at my computer then jumping up, running in a serpentine fashion thru the house, outside to my car then speeding off. Just kinda got old sneaking back to the house hoping the coast was clear after dark all the time. Now I just try and stay outta conflicts...when I'm logged in as dgfavor anyway...

ROFLMBO......Now that made my day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:07 am

Maine Coon Cat!!! :lol: I hate cats. :twisted:
I don't like them either...but my DD's love 'em :wink:

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 am

PntrRookie wrote:Go look at the "Look at this big rascal" thread (among others)...I believe it is proving the point of this original poster's observation.

Exactly right, and like said several times in this thread, experienced dog trainers are becoming deterred from associating themselves with sites like this because of comments like those. And the advice that's given from these individuals is the most reputable around.

I joined this site several years ago for that specific reason. I don't comment a tremendous amount. But I hope when I do post it's productive and useful to the original poster or the thread. Having an individual post a negative comment or start slander regarding the age or size of your dog, not only hinders the seller but the breeder. I now understand why some of the superior bloodline breedings never are posted. As a business owner, libel of a service or good I work tirelessly to produce or provide, <<irritates me greatly>> I can only imagine what happens to the smaller time breeders who struggle to "make ends meat" by training and throwing a few pups think of this.

<<profanity edited by Greg>>

The intention of this post was to bring to the forefront of everyone's mind their comments and words are spread throughout. Posting slander or negative things about something without specific proof it's the truth is libel. If you question this, and can't find a dictionary on your own… I did you the liberty...

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/person ... ation.html

What Are Defamation, Libel and Slander?
Generally speaking, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Slander involves the making of defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral (spoken) representation. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

And to make matters worse, the "Moderators" are condemning/agreeing the comments or rebuttals. I can only imagine why a company wouldn't want to be associated with such.

Thanks for your "suggestions."
KN

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:35 am

At going on 40 :o , I know who I am and I know what I have, for better or worse :wink: --it's hard for me to take a computer forum so seriously that I get upset. If you do good work, your work will speak for itself, and I don't believe any one internet forum is going to take that down. I do agree with the wrongfulness of slander, but often I think things have to do more with injuring egos, than anything that could be taken to a court of law. Not to mention, if things get too rough, which they rarely do around here...someone steps in and defends the wronged person. You will see that repeatedly in a lot of the hot topics. And when two repeatedly tangle, like they sometimes do in threads, it just makes both of them look silly in being "right fighters". This is just a slice of life and in my opinion, you get waaaay more than you pay for here.