Kennel Project

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Kennel Project

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 am

This project has been a couple years in the making and we're still putting the finishing touches on it. My home is on 3 acres and the perimeter fencing is 3 rail vinyl...i.e. not dog proof. For years, letting the dogs out was an adventure, sometimes a multi-hour adventure. I decided to turn my seldom used horse arena into a nice dog proof yard with some warm weather outdoor kennels. So with the help of my nephew, two summers ago off we went.

We first installed welded wire panels with 2'x4' squares on the inside of all the rails:

Then we tapped into my pasture irrigation system to put in a new dog yard irrigation system:

Next up was a pad for the dog kennels to sit on - had to also add the talents of my buddy's Sharptailhunter and RHeaton for this portion:

I whimped out on the landscaping and had that professionally done and hydroseeded, added dog kennels, a horse round pen in the center since it is a horse property after all, addes some water and voille':

Those with a keen eye might also notice phase 2 of the kennel project appearing magically in the background - a new barn courtesy of Heaton Const. started last summer and nearing completion currently with some nice indoor cozy kennels for the cold season, some nice covered homes for my tractors, equipmment, hay and maybe the odd horse or two. Still putting the finishing touches on her but with the fall season nearing I fear I may not get much more work out of my contractor:

Doing a life sentence at the HBV kennels:

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel Project

Post by snips » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 am

Lookin good!
brenda

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 pm

I think it looks fantastic, great.

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Looks just about Awesome, maybe add a long tail or two to add the finishing touches :P :wink:

seriously very very nice job !
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:17 pm

It's hard to hide money. :lol: Looks good Doc.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Pineywoods wrote:It's hard to hide money
Why would ya want to? :D

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Man now thats some nice toys you have :D Very nice

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Congratulations it's looking good, I have a new kennel in the process of being built and I can't wait until it's finished. Fixing a lot of the little nagging problems with the old one!

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:12 pm

Man, that is a beautiful place. What part of the country is that? Those are some gorgeous mountains in the background. What birds do yall hunt?

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Are you a Doctor or something? "bleep" that looks nice! Btw< How long are you gonna let your sister ride that old horse? :wink: :P
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:00 am

You should feel blessed. That is a lovely place you have there. I bet you never get tired of sitting on the porch, drinking a cup of coffee and admiring what God has blessed you with.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks all! You can't see it now but there's a lot of personal sweat and effort buried around out there - like I said it's been a two year effort and finally starting to take shape.

My nephew and I were standing around patting ourselves on the back after we got the fence panels all in. He was throwin' a ball for Bugsy at the time and accidentally threw it over the fence. Bugs took off after that ball, cleared our new dog proof fence without breaking stride, grabbed his ball, jumped back over the dog proof fence into the dog yard without breaking stride again...sonofa!! Trenton and I just stared at each other. I don't think Bugs really even thought about what he was doing as he has never ever even remotely tried to jump out of there since - I don't think he really knows he can!! :lol: :lol:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 am

That's looking real nice Doug. You can get 'em out of the garage and have a place to park now :P

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:07 pm

OK I am impressed! And I also feel your pain.... Having 5 acres and landscaping and building things... If there was enough money there aint enough time!

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22 am

Doug,

Beautiful place man. Glad to see it. Looks like paradise.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 am

Looks good Doug, kinda makes my gravel runs look bad!! Lucky my dogs cant get on the internet or they would be hitch-hiking to ID. :D

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:45 am

Doug,
Beautiful property. Question ... In photo 6 is that you in the grey Tshirt and hat, watering the tamped down dirt ready to pour concrete? Is that formed for the outdoor kennels? Didn't see an after photo. Great looking barn. In the barn did you put in drains to wash out the indoor kennels?

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Mike B,,,,, naw that's Trenton, Doug's nephew. Ya got to spend more time at the gym and less time running dogs to have pipes like that. The guy with the rake is Alex (aka SharptailHunter).

Yea we put a pretty cool drain system in the dog kennel part,,,,, half the garage slopes to the front and the other slopes to the back. You can clean it spotless in about 1 minute and never have water where you don't want it.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Rich Heaton wrote:Mike B,,,,, naw that's Trenton, Doug's nephew. Ya got to spend more time at the gym and less time running dogs to have pipes like that. The guy with the rake is Alex (aka SharptailHunter).

Yea we put a pretty cool drain system in the dog kennel part,,,,, half the garage slopes to the front and the other slopes to the back. You can clean it spotless in about 1 minute and never have water where you don't want it.

Whew, Thank God.
And here I thought you went all healthy and got fit Rich....... :lol: :lol: Just bustin yur chops man....

Looks good Doug.....

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Rich Heaton wrote:Ya got to spend more time at the gym and less time running dogs to have pipes like that. The guy with the rake is Alex (aka SharptailHunter).
What? There was a dog kennel in those pictures? :D

Seriously, nice job! :mrgreen:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:19 pm

What? There was a dog kennel in those pictures?

:lol: :lol: That's good!!

Rich did a sweet job on the barn/shop/garage/kennel/whatever you call it - he's a high end home builder in his real life and I happened to catch him when the economy was doing it's thing on the housing market - i.e desperate enough to come to Pocatello!! One thing I didn't want to do was make it so dog kennel specific that it totally had no other use to anyone but a dog person and diminish re-sale value. It really is a garage with attached 4 horse mostly open air stalls which works for a horse property for sure but could serve a bunch of different uses to different owners.

I'll mention a couple things that we did to maybe give some folks some ideas for their projects or tell us what we did wrong: Rich mentioned the drain which is only for washing out kennels, still gotta scoop and scrub, but it is a sweet deal. At the end of the trough is about an 18" filter that screens any solids superbly - basically a hair catcher so far. Since we knew we'd be splashing water on the walls, we lined the lower half with Polymax sheets, kind of like you see in a car wash, plus the windows are all trimmed out with a vinyl trim so can hit them with a full blast from the hose too:

Between the kennel area and the horse area, we put in a "tack room"/storage room that Rich built some custom cabinets on site - turned out pretty sweet. We're still searching for an oversized, about 39"x22" sink (big enough to wash a dog as well as cleaning dog dishes/cleaning birds/etc.) - if anyone happens to be or knows a good (i.e cheap!) custom stainless person, give us a shout.

Horse stall area - not sure I will personally put horses here but I thought it was a good idea for a horse property for re-sale and I'm sure I can find things to stick in there:

Gotta give huge kudos to Casper for coming up in the dead of a hideous Idaho winter and putting power to the place and bringing all the switches to life - Uda man and I still owe you a better hunt than we got!!:

Not sure what the significance of this is but Rich showed up with it from the start and it's migrated it's way thru the various stages of construction - I've been on site of a few of his high end builds and didn't see any rotting skulls so pretty clear where we rank around her!! :lol: :lol: :

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:31 am

Gotta give huge kudos to Casper for coming up in the dead of a hideous Idaho winter and putting power to the place and bringing all the switches to life - Uda man and I still owe you a better hunt than we got!!:
Thanks man! But I gotta give you and Rich the thanks for giving me the opportunity. Regardless what other people think you your OK in my book :wink: :lol:

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:39 am

DGFavor wrote: Image
Do you keep all your long tails in the barn and your shorthairs outside so the neighbors wont find out? 8)

Rut

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 am

RuttCrazed wrote:
DGFavor wrote: Image
Do you keep all your long tails in the barn and your shorthairs outside so the neighbors wont find out? 8)

Rut
Wow....... I missed that. Come on Doc you go some explaining to do, or will that dog show up later with
a dye job and a docked tail ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Doug you know what you need to add in the dog kennel/barn...................A cot, sleeping bag and a DVD player...........There is gonna be a day your gonna be in the dog house so you just as well make yourself comfortable :mrgreen: