Anyone ever seen an all black EP?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Anyone ever seen an all black EP?

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm on a facebook group that has alot of Europeans on it....been seeing alot of pictures
of all black pointers. How long have GSP's and Ep's had all black dogs or is this something
new?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pi ... 057&ref=pf
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gunner

Re: Anyone ever seen an all black EP?

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 am

I worked a couple of black pointers for a fella back in the late '60's. They had been imported from Sweden. Pretty dogs but I did not think possess the abilities of our American dogs.

Al Hochwalt wrote in his 1926 edition of The Modern Pointer that.... "While the black pointer never became a great influence in America we cannot entirely ignore it. In England this color was, and still is, quite popular; but in this country it does not seem to meet with general approval, and though there were some breeders of the blacks, or Papes, as they are called, in certain parts of Missouri, Indiana and Kentucky, they never met with great success, and as a consequence this blood was soon merged into that of the regular strains. When the black dog, Black Wonder, won the all-age stake of the Indiana trials at Bicknell, in 1891, some interest was revived in this color and, in a desultory way, the dog was bred to, but he left no last mark.
Sweden and Norway seem to have the best blacks at the present time (1926), some of these specimens having been brought to America during the past few years, but as yet they have done nothing to cause one to believe that they are going to be a great influence upon our present American strains."

regards,
Bill

honeyrun

Post by honeyrun » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:53 am

I even saw an all Liver Pointer the other day. Thought I was seeing things and just had to ask if it was a pointer.
Cindy Stahle
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honey Run Hounds

Home of:
CH Baretta Vom Otterbach, MH, CGC, NA1, UTII, D1, AZP1 (GSP-German Import)
AM/Can CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, MH, NAI (GSP)
CH Honey Run's Impressive, JH, NAI (GSP)
BPIS CH Windkist's Stealin Hearts (Beagle)
GrCH Windkist Branston Talk About Me (Beagle)
CH Lanbur Windkist Rosalinda (Beagle)
Breeder of:
VC, CH Honey Run's Puck, MH
BIS, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, CD, MH, UTI(2xs), NAII
FC Honey Run's Hannah Barbara, MH
and many others

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 am

Yep and there are Visla colored ones too, Called Hertha pointers according to an old danish dog genetics book I own, solid black and solid hertha were pretty common, and in europe probably still are

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 am

I was braced with one at a hunt test several years ago. English import. Massive, hulking, waste of dog flesh. The owner was a real jerk, bragging about his "pure" English Pointer, and promising his 9 year old son all weekend that the kid could handle the dog. The kid was super excited, but at the last minute, Dad changed his mind for fear that the kid would "mess up his stellar bird dog." (not possible--dog couldn't get any worse) I went up to this crying little boy and handed him a leash and a blank gun and watched from the gallery as my weim hunted circles around that lumbering draft horse colt, and the kid out-handled his father. My weim pup got all 10's and I let the boy keep the ribbon. The pointer failed in all catagories, and Dad stormed off in a fury :mrgreen:

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

tn red

Post by tn red » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm

zzweims wrote:I was braced with one at a hunt test several years ago. English import. Massive, hulking, waste of dog flesh. The owner was a real jerk, bragging about his "pure" English Pointer, and promising his 9 year old son all weekend that the kid could handle the dog. The kid was super excited, but at the last minute, Dad changed his mind for fear that the kid would "mess up his stellar bird dog." (not possible--dog couldn't get any worse) I went up to this crying little boy and handed him a leash and a blank gun and watched from the gallery as my weim hunted circles around that lumbering draft horse colt, and the kid out-handled his father. My weim pup got all 10's and I let the boy keep the ribbon. The pointer failed in all catagories, and Dad stormed off in a fury :mrgreen:

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Now thats a good day , :lol: :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for all the input....I have to pick up that book Gunner, thanks for the quote.

I was just blown away when I saw that picture I posted....there is another of him in a kennel with
some other pointers that are half his size. Made me wonder if it was something new or if that color
had been around awhile.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:57 pm

ymepointer,
The book you mention, by any chance would it be Inheritance in Dogs by Ojvind Winge?

Aline,
That is just plain awesome of ya! You go!

I have seen a few Solid Black Pointers, though they are pretty uncommon in the States as Gunner noted and are often found to have been imported. Of those I've seen, I was only truly impressed by the Field abilities of one and it had a strong lineage going back to Arkwright lines and if memory serves me accurately, had been imported from Norway. She was a very nice, athletic and agile b!tch that could really move; find birds and pointed with very nice style. The others were, as Aline noted, big lumbering beast. Arkwright's, which were a Solid Black Pointer of specific lineage, were maintained by William Arkwright during the late 1800's to early 1900's in England and then Scandinavia.

An interesting read: http://users.starpower.net/kashe/SolidPointers.htm
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 pm

AHGSP wrote:ymepointer,
The book you mention, by any chance would it be Inheritance in Dogs by Ojvind Winge?
Yep Bruce that is the one.