New Chukar Pen

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

New Chukar Pen

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Here is my new Chukar pen complete with 15 chukar for training the dogs. I just got them from a game farm today and the dogs are already excited to start training. :lol: I am just waiting on a few harnesses and a bird bag to come in from LCS so that I can reuse the birds before I actually get out and start training with them. I live in Oklahoma so these dogs have never been on chukar but they sure seem to know what they are about.

k2k

Re: New Chukar Pen

Post by k2k » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:43 pm

Interesting how you did the extra fencing on the bottom. I did one years ago, and then lined the entire inside of the fence with chicken wire. I never thought to just go up half-way!

Karen

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:48 pm

It actually started out being used for some pups and they kept pushing at the bottom so I lined it with dog fence and when I turned it into a bird pen I figured that would have to be one accurate flying chukar to fly through one of those holes about 3 feet up. :D

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I am going to do that with one of my kennels for ducks though. Just have to figure out how to coon proof it.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I live in Oklahoma so these dogs have never been on chukar but they sure seem to know what they are about.
Even after you put 'em on those birds, they ain't gonna know what chukar are about!! :wink: :lol:

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:15 pm

some day...some day

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:15 pm

C'mon Doug, those look just like all the chukars I have ever seen. Here is a pic of some in my training pen last summer. I might have to patch it up a little this year. They kept getting out.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Well they should work for training anyway till season starts and I can get them on some wild pheasant and quail. Quail numbers are down where I hunt and train this year do to a late season bad snowstorm and pheasant are in the crop fields right now.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:59 pm

C'mon Doug, those look just like all the chukars I have ever seen. Here is a pic of some in my training pen last summer. I might have to patch it up a little this year. They kept getting out.
What the heck, sneakin' in my spots again? I'd recognize secret spot #87 anywhere.

Sounds good Tommyboy! Just givin' ya' grief. Us westerners are pretty proud of our wild reared chuks and the country they live in so when we see 'em in a pen or in the flatlands we gotta run our mouths (or our keyboards) off!! :lol: :lol:

Alot of the attraction is the difficulties that go with just gettin' too 'em, for both dog then hunter!! :wink:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:35 pm

This is my first year working with pen raised birds, usually I train on only wild birds and hunt only wild birds but there was a population drop this year.These were last year's breeders and the gamefarm I got them from decided to get rid of all of their breeders. If they would have had quail I would have gotten them instead but they won't have quail until late August so I opted for chukar instead. I have never even seen a chukar in the wild but I sure would like to get out a bit farther west and hunt them someday. Backdrops look dramatic and looks difficult but fun.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:50 am

If you have weasles, ermin or red squirels you may want to put smaller holed wire on the bottom 3 ft. But looks nice and clean.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks for the concern but we have no trees out here other than what is in peoples yards. No serious forested areas for about 100 miles and only river bottom treelined areas sparsely placed throughout the panhandle so very few squirrels and no ermin or weasles at all. My dogs hate cats and kill them on sight so there should be no threat of stray cats either. They may make it into the yard but they won't make it out.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:25 am

Just a note tommyboy, but Chukar will recall excellent if you can give them the means.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)