English Pointers good house dogs, too?

OkieDogGuy

English Pointers good house dogs, too?

Post by OkieDogGuy » Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm about to get a great English Pointer pup (male). I've done a lot of research, have a quality breeder and have hunted with these dogs numerous times with friends. So I'm ready to go...except I'm hearing mixed advice on whether they can be good house dogs. Most of my buddies swear they must be keep outside, which is fine I have a kennel out back. But I have some friends who keep their Pointers in the house where they double as family dogs.

Advice please....

Crestonegsp

Re: English Pointers good house dogs, too?

Post by Crestonegsp » Fri May 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Are you getting an English Pointer(AKC registered) or a Pointer (AF registered)? If it is an English Pointer the AKC register, they are good in the house. We have a AKC English Pointer that lives in the house and she does very well. She could not find a bird if her life depended on it but she is one heck of a show dog.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Every dog has its own individual personality. Regardless of which registry your dog was registered with, lots of pointers are great house dogs. However, all of the gun dog breeds tend to have higher energy & need lots of outdoor exercise. If they don't get enough exercise they might not be as good house dogs when they are young and full of all that extra energy as they are when they are older.

The AKC registry used to call Pointers, "English Pointers" but now just calls them "pointers'. The American Field registry (which is older than the AKC registry) has always just called them pointers. Both registries will register pure bred dogs. Pointers meeting the conformation standards for the pointer breed can be entered in shows or run in field trials.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

I have a two-year-old HTA/Miller/Rebel-bred pointer who has been a better house dog than the setter, wirehair, and weims I had in the past. Never needed to be housebroken, doesn't chew, stays where he is asked, and is very laid back while inside. Sheds a little more than I like, but other than that he is very easy to have around. A clean, friendly, well-behaved dog, and very gentle around my youngest daughter.

I was always a little skeptical of pointers, having heard that they are aloof, wouldn't swim or retrieve, were not good pets, etc. This dog has disproved all of those stereotypes. My next dog will be another pointer.....

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Both the AF pointers in my signature line live in the house, they are great house dogs.
That said, they do need lots of exercise and if left to lay for days upon end they can quickly
exhibit some destructive behavior. Run them a couple times a week and they are perfect
citizens in the house.

My little HTA/Shadow female is laying beside me sleeping as I type.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Fri May 28, 2010 8:40 pm

AKC or AF has no bearing what so ever on it.It depends on the individual dog and sometimes the breeding.Some can be house dogs Some Can't.
Dog On Point!!

OkieDogGuy

Post by OkieDogGuy » Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm

The parents of the dog I'm getting are ourdoors-only dogs. They were both gentle, mellow, quiet and attentive when a stranger (me) dropped by to check out the litter.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm

If it is an English Pointer the AKC register, they are good in the house.
Yeah, the American Field Pointers suck in the house. :lol:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 pm

OkieDogGuy wrote:The parents of the dog I'm getting are ourdoors-only dogs. They were both gentle, mellow, quiet and attentive when a stranger (me) dropped by to check out the litter.
If you have seven pups in a litter, you will have seven different personalities. Think of your own or some other family with three or more children. Do all of the kids have identical personalities? It's the same with puppies. Say both the stud & dam are sweet dogs. With a normal litter, raised right, they will all tend to be sweet dogs. However one may be frisky & sweet, one dominant but sweet, one quiet & sweet, etc.

The parents sound like good candidates for producing a pup with the personality you want, right? That's about all you can ask for but there are no guarantees and a lot of how the pup behaves in the house will depend upon the training you provide as leader of the pack.

It's always exciting to get a new puppy! I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun, just have lots of patience with the little one. If the puppy or dog screws up, always remember to tell yourself it's your fault as the trainer because they're only doing what they've learned from us.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri May 28, 2010 10:00 pm

If you have seven pups in a litter, you will have seven different personalities. Think of your own or some other family with three or more children. Do all of the kids have identical personalities? It's the same with puppies. Say both the stud & dam are sweet dogs. With a normal litter, raised right, they will all tend to be sweet dogs. However one may be frisky & sweet, one dominant but sweet, one quiet & sweet, etc.
What?

Sorry, I thought they were dogs. :lol:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Yawallac wrote: What? Sorry, I thought they were dogs. :lol:
Ross,

I'll take a free pointer or two from you anytime! :lol: :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat May 29, 2010 4:58 am

IMO, having a a Pointer as a house dog, with the right socialization, exposure, housebreaking, exercise is NO different than a different breed, of the same "athleticism"...GSP, Setter, etc. We call my avatar the "fireside" dog...loves to curl up next to the fireplace (in the winter) or on the floor next to you on the couch.

k2k

Post by k2k » Sat May 29, 2010 8:25 am

All my bird dogs are house dogs as well.

My pointer is mellow in the house, and pretty much always has been. She's just a year old now. Her coat isn't as thick as the GWPs' coats, so she feels she needs to sleep under the covers with me :lol:

The only thing I didn't foresee when I got her was that I was going to need a longer couch!

So, yeah, keep the dog in the house with you!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat May 29, 2010 8:27 am

Much has already been said, with which I agree. Pointers are a working breed and as such, are bred to work in concert with humans...principally in the field, but there is no need to stop there. Pointers do seem to be able to turn off a switch and do quite well as kennel dogs, unlike many other breeds which require more constant human contact.

Like any working breed, pointers can make excellent housedogs if they are given an outlet for their energy. Like any high energy dog, as a puppy and adolescent, they will almost always be a handful.

My son and daughter in law are going to get one of my dogs when the get a house. He is, and always has been a kennel dog that has been in the hose twice, both times due to injuries requiring an elizabethan collar, wound care and restricted mobility. He just turned four years old.

Last week, on the way to a trial, I sopped by their apartment with the dogs. I took the dog they will be getting out of his kennel,put him on a lead and walked him up the steps to their second floor apartment. Hwe went in, nuzzled both of them, smelled their new baby and then laid down on the floor between us while we visited. When called, he got up, walked over and presented his head to be petted and then went back and lid down.

Oh yeah, at the trial the same lapdog put down a blistering, driving race in a 45 minutes stake, in heat approaching 90 degrees had one beautiful find, one unproductive which was my fault for not being able to produce a bird in the lush greeery and was still driving hard at pickup. He also pointed a dead bird which doesn't count.

If the parents are mellow around people, the pups will generally be also.

The only negative I have regarding pointers in the house is their hair. It is short and gets stuck into all manner of fabrics. It can be a real PIA to remove.

RayG

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat May 29, 2010 10:52 am

RayGubernat wrote: The only negative I have regarding pointers in the house is their hair. It is short and gets stuck into all manner of fabrics. It can be a real PIA to remove. RayG
At least most of it is very light so it shows up real well! :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:04 am

I will just relate my personal experience to you. I had a 6 year old male pointer that I have since traded for a couple of pups. I got him at 3 years old and he had always been a kennel or yard dog. I brought him in the house on cold nights for all night long and he never, ever even offered to pottie in the house and just went and found a comfortable spot and laid down. I have a 2 1/2 year old female pointer now that I got at 4 months old, same with her in on cold nights and has never even offered to pottie in the house and goes and lays in her pop up kennel when she comes inside. I have a 9 month old female pointer pup that has never offered to pottie in the house. On cold nights she comes in and once in her pop up kennel she calms right down and goes to sleep. I also have 2 more pointer pups now that are about 4 months old and I bring them in all the time to associate with the family and they have never offered to pottie in the house either. They are rambunctious but with age I am sure they will calm down as well. In my personal experience they make great house pets after they mature to at least 6 months or so and I have never had to pottie train any pointer I have ever had. They just knew not to pottie in the house. That is one of the reasons I love this breed so much. Fast learning curve on manners as well as bird work. I also have 2 young children ages 2 1/2 and 14 months and the older dogs are excellent with them in the house and yard. The pups are a bit rambunctious about jumping up on them but will learn with age and discipline. In my personal experience and opinion they make excellent house and family pets as well as bird dogs.

OkieDogGuy

Post by OkieDogGuy » Sat May 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Great feedback, folks! I knew when I found this forum that I would get some seasoned advice. As a newbie to this gun-dog thing I look forward to being an active member here and learning more.

Meanwhile, looks like its unanimous...when I pick up my Pointer pup in July, he's coming in the house.

k2k

Post by k2k » Sat May 29, 2010 8:19 pm

RayGubernat wrote:The only negative I have regarding pointers in the house is their hair. It is short and gets stuck into all manner of fabrics. It can be a real PIA to remove. RayG
That's why they call it "fur"niture, and car"pet". :lol:

Sorry Ray, I couldn't resist!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat May 29, 2010 8:53 pm

k2k wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:The only negative I have regarding pointers in the house is their hair. It is short and gets stuck into all manner of fabrics. It can be a real PIA to remove. RayG
That's why they call it "fur"niture, and car"pet". :lol:

Sorry Ray, I couldn't resist!
Good one!

:D :D :D

RayG

caleb

Post by caleb » Sun May 30, 2010 8:07 am

Not to rain on the parade, but I've never owned a pointer because I've never met one that I'd want living full time in my house during the first year or two of its life.

They're great, great hunting dogs, but I would never get one as a house dog. If I lived in the country with space for the dog to run free all day, sure. But not in an environment where the pup is getting most of his exercise on a leash.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "house dog". I think there's a big difference between having a dog spend the large majority of his time inside and just bringing him inside to sleep and for occasional family time. I would do the second, but not the first. Which version are you thinking?

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:35 am

I have never had a E.P but GSP's.
Last one was raised in the house on nice days he was out side, as soon as I got home inside AND I was never out of his sight.
as far as hunting the bond we shared, made him awesome in the field, My Weim was the same way- Yes the hair can be a problem, but my Krew is not allowed on the Fur-niture they have an old quilt that they will drag around , it is what they lay on it is washed 2 times aweek. I have no problem doing that for them.

So I guess what it comes down to is personal prefrence. Housedog + Hunting Buddy OR Just a Hunting Dog !
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

asc

Post by asc » Sun May 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Mine was 4 months old when I got her and was in a kennel. Took a couple of weeks to housebreak and she tore up a couple of pillows. After that we have had no problems except for some strange reason our couch seems to be a little shorter too. :lol: The big one on the right is gone buut the other fits right in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun May 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Not to rain on the parade, but I've never owned a pointer because I've never met one that I'd want living full time in my house during the first year or two of its life.

They're great, great hunting dogs, but I would never get one as a house dog. If I lived in the country with space for the dog to run free all day, sure. But not in an environment where the pup is getting most of his exercise on a leash.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "house dog". I think there's a big difference between having a dog spend the large majority of his time inside and just bringing him inside to sleep and for occasional family time. I would do the second, but not the first. Which version are you thinking?
I think that says it all. :lol:

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 pm

I have a very active setter who most people would never believe is a good house dog, but with a little training and a little patience he is perfect. We have to do certain things to keep up our end of the bargain. First off, he has to be crated at night... every night. If not we wake up all night to the sounds of him hunting his way through the house. Second, you have to understand that if you are up and moving he is too. He doesn't want to miss a thing. Third, slober and nose prints from window hunting are a given.

But with good exercise, training and patience you'll be fine.

If you need some help with the exercise, consider the Tulsa Bird Dog Club. Not sure how far you are from us, but the club grounds are in Inola and for a really low annual fee you can use them 10 months out of the year to wear his butt out. 160 acres usually does the trick for our dogs. www.tulsagundogclub.org

Shane

caleb

Post by caleb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:33 am

Yawallac wrote:

I think that says it all. :lol:
Fair enough, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm simply relating the experiences I've had with pointers (although I've never owned one, several friends do) as others have also related their experiences.

To me, what I'm gathering from people's posts (above) are that pointers make great house pets under a few conditions. Each of these conditions is mentioned in a post above, although they do not all occur in a single post. :

* Plenty of daily off leash exercise
* Crating at night
* Some level of tolerance for things getting wrecked
* A tolerance for "high energy" behavior indoors

If those conditions say "house pet" to a potential owner, then more power to them. But I think a lot of people, myself included, don't meet those conditions so we either opt for outdoor dogs or different breeds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pointers. I just don't want to give a new owner the impression that his new pup is going to behave like a show Golden. Realistic expectations among all members of an owner's family are, in my thinking, key to insuring that dogs end up in good lifelong homes.

None of this commentary should be limited to pointers, they're just the breed in question. I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants to make a field dog into a house pet should proceed with caution and a shared understanding in the family that what's coming into the house isn't stuffed.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Mine are good as gold with 2 days of good exersice

They don't need crated at night.

No need for wrecking tolerance.....2 of them stay 2-3 months with me in a Travel Trailer and do no damage beside shedding.

No need for indoor high energy behavior, They are smart enough to know wild time only happens outside.

Stereotypes really are just that.....fiction. Any dog breed can exhibit the behaviors you state if not trained and then there
is always the dog with a screw loose no matter the breed as well. I found my pointers were much better citizens than my last
few lab pups, they fell in line and adapted in no time, compared to the labs Ive had.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:38 am

but I've never owned a pointer.
Until you actually own a Pointer, your opinion is pretty meaningless. From my experience, owning other breeds including GSPs, Weims, & Pudlepointers, the Pointer is a BETTER house dog because he isn't as dumb, as hairy or as ugly. :lol:

dbhowell23

Post by dbhowell23 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:46 am

I have one in the house and can say without a doubt shes the best house dog I have ever had. I've had setters, labs and mutts. Pointers are the easiest. They only have two speeds on and off. If their "on" they go outside. When they come back in they just want a soft spot to lay down on.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:50 am

Not to mention they make good vacuum cleaners. I have 2 young sons, one is 2 1/2 and the other just turned 1. They make a real mess in the kitchen when eating at their high chairs. My pointers are invaluable in cleaning up their food messes. :lol:

caleb

Post by caleb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:33 am

Yawallac wrote:
but I've never owned a pointer.
Until you actually own a Pointer, your opinion is pretty meaningless.
My opinion may be worth zilch, but my points are all echoed by people who have chosen to own pointers so that might give them a little credibility in your eyes.

I'd also suggest that asking only those who have chosen to own pointers creates a pretty biased sample by excluding those who are put off by their behavior and never bring one home.

As I said above, I'm not trying to rip on pointers. I'm just trying to help a new owner out.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am

caleb wrote:I'd also suggest that asking only those who have chosen to own pointers creates a pretty biased sample by excluding those who are put off by their behavior and never bring one home.
Asking advice from people with experience in owning them would be the only opinion that would carry any weight. All you are doing is speculating.
caleb wrote:I'm not trying to rip on pointers. I'm just trying to help a new owner out.
Dogs are individuals and your not helping anyone when you try to lump a dogs manorisms in one breed. If you have a dog that is hyper and destrucitve in his kennel you probably would not bring that dog in the house and same goes for a dog that is calm and well mannered in the kennel and yard would do fine in the house. The two types mentioned could even be littermates but you should not use either one as an example for the whole breed. I have owned and do own several pointers and some get brought in the house from time to time and some will never come in.

So, to help answer the question. Yes, most pointers will do fine as house dogs and hunting dogs.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 am

Caleb,

You're right, Pointers are all run-offs, aloof, hard-headed, won't retrieve, hate the water ...and don't make good house dogs.

Anything else?

I heard all that stuff from really, really smart people just like you :lol: ...and none of it was true.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Speaking as someone who owns weims--considered the uber house dog because they blend in with the furniture---the BEST house dogs, IMO, are ENGLISH SETTERS!! Second place is a toss up between pointers, vizslas, and weims. The diffence being ---do you want the hair on your couch to be white, orange, or gray?

And yes, I've owned them all. Plus gsps and brittneys. But ALL of the well-bred setters and pointers I've known, had a built-in "on/off" switch. Ditto for the majority of weims and vizslas, except that some of them get stuck in 'off' mode a little too long :lol: :lol: I can't say the same for the gsps and brittneys *I've* owned. Only one gsp was ever allowed in the house, and only under supervision. The brittneys were all crack addicted little darlings with ADHD who were left to spin their bitty wheels in the backyard 8)

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Trying to be fair here, I don't think Caleb has offered an opinion beyond being high energy in the house. If there is history here, maybe that should be explained.

Greg J.

caleb

Post by caleb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Trying to be fair here, I don't think Caleb has offered an opinion beyond being high energy in the house. If there is history here, maybe that should be explained.

Greg J.
There is no history. In fact, I'm pretty new here.

My attempts to be civil don't seem to have been met in kind, and have rather been construed as some sort of personal attack. I can assure you I never intended them that way. I have no idea what cause I've given anyone to question my intelligence (see above). The lack of basic manners in this thread is a little startling.

My only goals are to learn what I can and contribute where I can. I have no desire to engage in an internet pissing match over which breed is best with a bunch of strangers. I can imagine few less productive uses of a June afternoon.

If anyone feels a desire to continue this conversation, please feel free to send me a PM.
Last edited by caleb on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Well, Caleb, seems you've been pretty level-headed to me. Hope things work out via PM. If things degrade, feel free to PM me.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Well, Caleb, seems you've been pretty level-headed to me. Hope things work out via PM. If things degrade, feel free to PM me.

Or me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Caleb,

Sorry, I wasn't questioning your intelligence at all. In fact, I was told all of the traits that I listed by many very smart dog men. My point is that they didn't actually have any first hand experience with Pointers. So my opinion of Pointers was based on what I had heard from them. Funny thing is that when I got my first Pointer I put a NAVHDA title on her and kept her in the house. Thinking it was some bizarre fluke, I did it again ...and again. Look at my avatar. He did a fair amount of winning this season on George Tracy's Horseback Shooting Dog string. He's even qualified for next years National Championdship. ...and he has a NAVHDA title and I'm scratching his ear as I type this. :D

Point is, whenever I hear anyone without first-hand knowledge with Pointers, go on about how terrible they are, in any aspect, I'll challenge it. Get one, raise it and then offer an opinion. I don't know how capable a dog man you are, but I'm pretty confident that Pointers are NOT what you think they are and I believe your opinion would change if you owned one. :D
...but if you're going to start a post like this with no first hand knowledge ...then what did you expect? :wink:

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:46 pm

There is in all breeds what is called the Bell curve, You will find some of any breed that won't cut it in the house but in general, I can say Pointers I have owned are fantastic dogs. Mine have all been friendly and will sleep on the couch just fine if you make them get off the bed :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:54 pm

I think he expected to state his opinion without being jumped all over and called stupid.

The statement you quoted was that HE had never met a pointer he would want in the house "full time"for the first two years of it's life. Probably a whole bunch of people feel that way not only about pointers but every other breed as well. And I would guess he still feels that way.
JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 pm

A good friend normally has 2-3 setters and a pointer in his house at all times.
All the time I hear that the pointer is just terrible....she hogs the bed and takes up room on the couch.

Accept that birddogs are individuals and forget the typecasting meant to seperate.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:10 pm

I think he expected to state his opinion without being jumped all over and called stupid.
I never called anyone stupid. When I said "really, really smart people" I was actually referring to some really, really smart people (the NAVHDA guys that trained me believed all that Pointer nonsense). I stated that in the follow up post with an apology. As far as what he expected? I would suggest that when you post a smarta$$ "Don't want to rain on the parade" comment, you know exactly the response you'll get.
Probably a whole bunch of people feel that way not only about pointers but every other breed as well. And I would guess he still feels that way.
Not trying to change his mind Ezzy. But there are a whole lot of people reading this that should know what's true and what isn't. Heck, if I'd known the truth about Pointers, rather than all the bs told about Pointers, I'd have switched breeds decades sooner. :D

OkieDogGuy

Post by OkieDogGuy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks again for the info. It's all very helpful, which is what I would expect from the folks on this forum.

The bottom line seems to be that Pointers can be good in the field and the house IF they are properly trained and get plenty of exercise, both physical and mental. I have plenty of opportunities to give the dog exercise. I have a fenced backyard for starters. Also, within 10 minutes of the house I have a fishing property with a good sized lake and plenty of acres for exercise. Plus, just over 30 minutes from home I have a 2,000 acre hunting lease with some ponds, marshes, CRP and hardwood...good for deer, turkey, quail and ducks. Another good spot for training and exercise.

The challenge will be to discipline myself to get out and give him regular walks in the neighborhood and good runs on those properties a couple days a week. I know this dog will be loyal to me...and I have to be loyal to him, too.

To begin with, he will be kept during the night and when no one is home during the day in our patio room...safely furnished with metal furniture and outdoor tile for easy cleaning.

And then there is Plan B if, ultimately, the indoor route doesn't work. I have a 10'x10' cement-floor kennel in the backyard built by a previous owner who had hunting dogs. So the outdoor-only avenue remains open, if necessary.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Yawallac wrote:
If it is an English Pointer the AKC register, they are good in the house.
Yeah, the American Field Pointers suck in the house. :lol:

Yeah, he looks like a nightmare :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Ross that pup looks familar :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno