Dog Eating Poop

freedom

Dog Eating Poop

Post by freedom » Thu May 06, 2010 10:37 am

We have a disgusting topic that we could use some advice on before my wife loses it. Our Brittany pup (female) is 14 weeks old. She's a very healthy and happy pup who gets lots of attention and exercise. Unfortunately, there have been four or five instatnces where she pooped in her crate or corral (we keep her in the house) and ate the poop before we discovered it. When she poops outside she never shows any interest in the poop, nor does she show any interest in any other dog's poop. We're not sure how concerned we should be, but right now we are fearful of leaving her alone for a few hours for fear that she will do it again. Unfortunatley, her daily poop schedule isn't always the same (she generally goes 3-4 times per day, but the times of day can vary).

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how best to deal with this?

Thanks!

jlp8cornell

Re: Dog Eating Poop

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 am

There are products you can buy (forbid is one) that you put on the dogs food. Makes the poop taste bad. Most are made from veggies that ferment during the digestion process.

Funny she doesn't do this outside. You are lucky about that. She shouldn't be needing to poop that often soon.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Makes the poop taste bad.
But it's already POOP :lol: :lol: :lol: . You may be able to get her to stop or maybe she will grow out of it but I dout it.

Good luck
Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu May 06, 2010 1:00 pm

jlp8cornell wrote: Makes the poop taste bad. She shouldn't be needing to poop that often soon.

:lol: :lol: Sorry, I thought that was pretty funny too.

Anyway, I agree with both statements. Forbis does work very well. Also, I question what you feed as that does seem like alot of poop. My 14 week old poops 2 times a day, 3 times if we go out in the field and I think that is just an excitment poop.

I like to stay away from foods that use corn as a filler, that can produce alot of poop. Remember, the more of the nutrients the dog is able to use from the foods, the less poop.

Hope this helps and I actually think there is a food tread on here. Now lets see some pics of the baby!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Lots and lots of dogs eat poop. They are commonly referred to as "doggie popsicles" or during the winter "doggie icesicles". Some apparently seek more nourishment. Most though don't seem to have any particular reason to do it. It's where the term "s**t eating grin" came from. :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Thu May 06, 2010 1:18 pm

For the most part mine don't do it outside but inside its almost impossible to keep them away from the all you can eat buffet (AKA the litter box)
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 pm

It is recycling, just don't let her give you a kiss. :lol:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm

vabrittfan wrote:For the most part mine don't do it outside but inside its almost impossible to keep them away from the all you can eat buffet (AKA the litter box)
I'll second that. They love to dine on cat poop .. a real delicacy.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 pm

BigShooter wrote:They are commonly referred to as "doggie popsicles" or during the winter "doggie icesicles".
We call them "Tootsie Rolls" or if you step in one they are called "Land Mines" :D .

Ron

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu May 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Munster wrote:I like to stay away from foods that use corn as a filler
Do not get ezzy started :P . I can hear him already, "there is no fillers in dog food" :lol:

Ron

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:08 pm

I like to stay away from foods that use corn as a filler, that can produce alot of poop. Remember, the more of the nutrients the dog is able to use from the foods, the less poop.
Corn is not a filler and does not cause an increase in the waste. It's the best sourc of carbs there is and luckily it is plentiful and reasonably price compared to other sources.

I would take the pup out and let it go before putting it in the crate and then take it out again as soon as you can when you are ready to let the pup out. Many times poop eating is a sign of boardem and then becomes a habit. Try to break the routine and see what happens. The products mentioned help sometimes too.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

I agree with Al that poop eating is a behavioral issue, boredom, dominance, whatever.

But Ezzy is very selective on what is a filler and what isn't; corn and beet pulp never are. When its something he likes he says "its in there for a reason", when he doesn't like it he says its superfluous. So we need to settle on this "its in there for a reason" even applies to Evening Primrose Oil.

And corn is fine if its cooked properly and not "Round-up Ready" or some other genetic monster.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu May 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Ron R wrote:
Munster wrote:I like to stay away from foods that use corn as a filler
Do not get ezzy started :P . I can hear him already, "there is no fillers in dog food" :lol:

Ron
I guess I was warned. :D :lol: If it is or isnt viewed as a filler or not as easy to digest, whatever the case, I chose to stay away from it. I think it has made a diffreance in my dogs. :D Whatever has changed my dogs stool from soft serve ice cream to tootsie rolls, I am happy with.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 am

So Munster..What are you feeding to get these "tootsie rolls"...

freedom

Post by freedom » Fri May 07, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We have been feeding her Wellness puppy food, which is supposed to be very good quality and pretty much all natural. Has anyone heard of some sort of "pill" you can get from the vet that somehow turns her off to the tootsie roll, popsicle, icicle, smorgasbord munching?

I'll get some pictures up soon (without the poop of course).

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 am

Yeah...i posted the name earlier. Forbid. There are other brands as well. I guess I didn;t think about what I was saying when I said "makes the poop taste bad"! LOL- let's see- how about--it makes the poop inedible??

My dogs are terrible in the winter with the poopsicles!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:24 am

mcbosco wrote:I agree with Al that poop eating is a behavioral issue, boredom, dominance, whatever.

But Ezzy is very selective on what is a filler and what isn't; corn and beet pulp never are. When its something he likes he says "its in there for a reason", when he doesn't like it he says its superfluous. So we need to settle on this "its in there for a reason" even applies to Evening Primrose Oil.

And corn is fine if its cooked properly and not "Round-up Ready" or some other genetic monster.
If you are going to talk about me be honest. I have never said anything was superfluous(don't know if that is spelled correctly) in a dog food. There probably are some things that are but they still are not fillers. Those two words don't even apply to each other.

As far as the genetic monsters, we all have a problem since you can't tell them from any other genetic variance. Every variety of corn planted in the past 60 years and longer has been genetically altered. Some are tall, some are short, some are have high sugar, some have high lysine, some have high oil, some have leaves that point up, some point down, some have ears that point up, some have ear that point down, some have a resistant to certain chemicals, some are sterile, some have tight husk, some have long ears, some have short ears, some are red, some are white, some are orange and white, some have white cobs, and all of this and more are from altered genetic monsters that came from the wild corn plants of the tropics.

Nice thing about corn it does not need to be cooked but it does need to be ground to be used efficiently but that is true of most of the ingredients of a good food for dogs or any animal that has teeth including us. Grinding just lets them use more of the product quicker and easier resulting in better performance.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

freedom

Post by freedom » Fri May 07, 2010 10:09 am

Jen and Max,

Yes I did see your mention of Forbid, but my understanding is that this product (as you mentioned) is placed in the food to make it taste even worse. I was actually wondering if there was a pill you can give the dog that somehow affects his desire to continue to eat the poop. Someone had mentioned to my wife and me that they thought there was a product available from vets. Probably not.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Dave

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

Dave--Oh, Ok. Never heard of an actual pill.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Dave,

I have never heard of a pill but I know people have tried a lot of different things with mixed result. I have found that cleaning up immediately when possible, more exercise, and something to keep the dog interested helps and especially if you do it before it becomes a habit. But I don't think there is a guaranteed method of changing it any other way. I would try the feed additives and do the other things and see if it cures it.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 07, 2010 1:53 pm

al, is 100% right...but something with glutamic acid in it (ie MSG) will help..

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri May 07, 2010 1:58 pm

I have one dog that has always done it. I keep the kennel as clean as possible and tried forbid for awhile. I finally gave up and no longer give it a second thought. I don't think there is anything that would stop him, he will eat or try to eat anything he can get in his mouth. Otherwise, a really nice dog.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri May 07, 2010 2:54 pm

bossman wrote:So Munster..What are you feeding to get these "tootsie rolls"...
I actually feed Eukanuba naturals right now and the pup gets eukanuba puppy. I know the pup has corn meal in it, but right now that is all he shows intrest in. I am looking at Native foods. But if it aint broke dont fix it. I think Native is a little cheaper.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm

There is a pill form that you can give. Not sure how it works exactly, but I did that a dozen years ago with my lab pup, and for her it worked.

http://www.jefferspet.com sells 3 treatments for Coprophagia:
STOP--tablet form
Forbid--sprinkle packet
Deter--tablet form

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:05 pm

the pill is called Capro somthing used it earlier this year with my pup. Your pup also might just be cleaning up after its self, kinda like the mother would and thats why it wont eat the poop when out side.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Didnt think of this before, but when Max was 9-10 weeks, I caught him lapping up his own pee! It was pretty gross! I still dont know why he did it. Was told that they can learn that behavour from mom.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 pm

wems2371 wrote:There is a pill form that you can give. Not sure how it works exactly, but I did that a dozen years ago with my lab pup, and for her it worked.

http://www.jefferspet.com sells 3 treatments for Coprophagia:
STOP--tablet form
Forbid--sprinkle packet
Deter--tablet form
People have had good luck with these but the active ingredient in these is MSG or some variation of it. Accent meat tenderizer is used as well for just a couple bucks and has the same active ingredient. Supposedly MSG breaks down into a very foul tasting compound.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Could it be that she is trying to get rid of the evidance? She know she is not supposed to go in her crate and is afraid she will get into trouble when you find it. Question would be then....why does she go in her crate and not wait until she goes outside. Good luck!
Elizabeth

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Could it be that she is trying to get rid of the evidance? She know she is not supposed to go in her crate and is afraid she will get into trouble when you find it. Question would be then....why does she go in her crate and not wait until she goes outside. Good luck!
Interesting concept but don't think a dog has the capabilities to make those kind of decisions.

Ezzy