Louisiana Bird Hunting

BuckWheat

Louisiana Bird Hunting

Post by BuckWheat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Well I am moving from Western Oklahoma to Shreveport Louisiana for a job. So of course I would like to know some information about the bird hunting. If anyone could provide me with some info it would be really appreciated.

RB

daniel77

Re: Louisiana Bid Hunting

Post by daniel77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Best of luck. I do actually know of, or did know of, a couple of coveys of quail in NW LA, but they are/were few and far between. Ducks and doves, we got em, woodcock and snipe too, but quail and pheasant we don't. I'm sure there are game preserves you can go shoot on, and you are within driving distance of TX and OK after all. I'm in South central LA and we have the ducks, doves, and some of the best woodcock hunting in the country, but ALL of the quail and such shot down here is pen-raised as far as I'm aware. Sorry.

BTW, I'd recommend getting you concealed handgun license asap if you're living in Shreveport. My opinion at least....
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Just curious but where at in Western Oklahoma? I live in Western Oklahoma. As far west as you can live before entering Texas.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:48 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Just curious but where at in Western Oklahoma? I live in Western Oklahoma. As far west as you can live before entering Texas.
Google is your friend, use it:

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:19 am

Woodcock are going to be your friend.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: Louisiana Bird Hunting

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:41 am

A/C Guy I wasn't asking for a place to hunt, I have plenty of those. Wild birds as well. I was asking where he was located in Western Oklahoma. Just curious if he lived close to me. Counties are really big out here and not a whole lot of towns in them. Thought he might live in a neighboring town.

BuckWheat

Post by BuckWheat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:17 pm

TommyBoy,Well I am from Lawton area and we do all of our hunting out around Hollis and Mangum. From reading some of your other post you live in the panhandle, I am not as far west as you. Daniel77, already thinking about the concealed to carry license ha ha. I know I am still close to TX and Ok but I will be cutting my hunting days down by over half. Used to hunting 3 days a week during quail season. ha ha Its already starting to depress me.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 pm

If it's any consolation, deer and hogs are quite plentiful and should be fairly easy to get to in that area. I know you asked about upland hunting, but when in Rome... There's also a bunch of excellent fishing, if you like to fish.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

BuckWheat

Post by BuckWheat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Oh yeah I love to do it all. I am sure I can manage and find something to hunt to entertain me. ha ha

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu May 06, 2010 1:44 pm

I live in South Central La. and the woodcock hunting can be down right impressive, ducks and tracking deer are good as well then of course you can hunt snipe.

Hey Daniel, they still have some wild coveys running around but few and far between I hunt em but really dont shoot them trying to get better habitat management practices started. But you right I run a couple of Johnny houses for my quail work.

So woodcock, snipe, dove and duck will be you main stays.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN