All black GSP

GSP 4 me

All black GSP

Post by GSP 4 me » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:54 am

I saw my first all black GSP while driving yesterday and I must say the dog looked quite striking. The dog almost looked like Darth Vader :D He certainly looked more intimidating than my own liver and white GSP.

Fowlplay

Re: All black GSP

Post by Fowlplay » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:03 pm

They are striking. Heat will be a factor.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Fowlplay wrote:They are striking. Heat will be a factor.
Depends on the terrain and proper hydration. If that was true my black gsp would have an advantage in the sunny snow covered hunting grounds with colder temps. No? :wink: :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:35 pm

twofeathers wrote:
Fowlplay wrote:They are striking. Heat will be a factor.
Depends on the terrain and proper hydration. If that was true my black gsp would have an advantage in the sunny snow covered hunting grounds with colder temps. No? :wink: :wink:
Doesn't he ? :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

raven34

Post by raven34 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 am

With proper hydration and conditioning they hold up just fine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:02 am

Lots of people in the south have problems with black dogs. Think it is just another thing you need to consider.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:12 am

I own Wht & LVR dogs & Solid LVR dogs let me just say being HONEST about my OWN dogs that the Solid Lvr dogs don't handle the heat or sun aswell as the wht & lvr or lighter dogs.
Not trying to start an argument or debate just talking about my dogs only.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am

Ted,

I wasn't trying to either. But like you say, the darker colors absorb much more heat while the white reflecks it. Just one of the laws of physics and anyone with animals or questioning how to dress should be aware of it as it can be a serious problem if ignored.

There is nothing we can do about it so either go out of your way to handle it or just don't expose yourself to the problem. Just be aware of it and make up your own mind.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am

Ezzy I am a retired roofer so I know exactly how the sun effects dark & light colors,it's a fact & not anyones matter of opinion. :D
If you have dogs that don't know when to quit & any of them worth much don't you have to make those decisions for the dogs!!

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:45 am

I think the solid and roan dogs look better than the white ones. However, since my old chief dog died, I don't even own a roan anymore, let alone a solid colored one. The main reason is the heat tolerance issue.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:23 pm

I didn't even consider the heat soak factor while hunting a black GSP or solid liver one for that matter. Possible heat issues aside, I was struck by this dog's beautiful black coat. Menacing black color, yet elegant and regal on that GSP frame.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:14 pm

There are more factors that affect a dog's heat tolerance than just coat color. You can't look at two dogs, one black and one white, and predict with certainty that on a warm hunting day the white dog will out-hunt the black dog. It's a factor, it's not the only factor. That's a fact. :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Ayres wrote:There are more factors that affect a dog's heat tolerance than just coat color. You can't look at two dogs, one black and one white, and predict with certainty that on a warm hunting day the white dog will out-hunt the black dog. It's a factor, it's not the only factor. That's a fact. :wink:
There may be a thousand factors that affect how much heat effec ts a dog but one thing for sure is the black dog will be a heck of a lot hotter than the white dog and you could say with rare exception that the hotter dog is going to be affected more since it is hotter. Same is true with the liver, orange, and every other color absorbing more heat but the black is the one that suffers the most. And it doesn't matter a bit if you like black dogs or not. We take color into consideration with all other animals that are exposed to the elements and probably should consider doing the same with our dogs.

On the other hand, if you expect to hunt the snowy wastelands of Alaska or Siberia I would think it might be wise to choose a black dog or one that is dark colored. Hope the people who prefer white don't get offended because of that. :wink: :wink:

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:16 pm

ACooper wrote:Image
Nice try - wrong color horse.

RAmes3412

Post by RAmes3412 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I've owned all the colors at one time or another and do see, to some degree, color affecting heat tolerance. But I see skin thickness and body type a much bigger issue. I sold a solid black to a guy in Florida and that dog can run in the heat. That dog was also one of the lighter built from that litter.

My 2 cents,

Roy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am

Some of my Boykins are so dark they look black, and heat tolerance is not a problem for any of them.

I have seen some Gordons and liver Britts that heat did seem to bother, so before the Boykins proved otherwise I subscribed to the no black in the heat theory.

Since I have had 10 very dark Boykins, and have seen a dozen or so black cockers work in 90+ degree quail and dove fields, I no longer think it matters.

There is so much we assume about dogs that can be proven wrong by exceptional ones.

Neil

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 am

Neil wrote: There is so much we assume about dogs that can be proven wrong by exceptional ones.

Neil
So, are you saying that black color has no effect on the ability of any dog to work in strong sun and heat or that there are those exceptional/foolish dogs which can overcome/ignore the effect?

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 am

Black dogs on the whole aren't as heat tolerant. Are their individuals that are more heat tolerant than others? Certainly. I think that is due to body type. In the GS's we see the lighter framed dogs, long in the leg, not bulky through the chest are more heat tolerant than those that are round chested and short legged. The factors that cause the dog to make heat, retain heat, and rid itself of the heat are big factors in heat tolerance. And I do think there is a mental component as well. Similarly, the hour dog is more than conditioning, it is a mindset.
Dan

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 am

Food matters,too.

DeadwoodDogs

Post by DeadwoodDogs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 am

I'm a little late to jump in on this but I've been playing in the mountains the past week.

I agree that black absorbs more light/heat and white reflects more but I've noticed a few other things that seem impact a dog's ability to handle heat - or cold.

CONDITIONING
SKIN THICKNESS
COAT DENSITY
ACCLIMATION
Deadwood Kennels
Versatile Gun Dog Training & German Shorthaired Pointers