pheasants in flight

Shadow

pheasants in flight

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Went to town, stopped in at the pawn shop- Gun and Pawn- weren't interested in CCI 157 primers-
but I did get a pack of 100 W209's- so all things ok

coming back driving the dirt road at 45 mph- three hens got up from the shoulder and were flying right close alongside the passenger side window- I stepped it up to 47mph to match their speed- they set their wings eyes rolling looking at the vehicle- sure wish I had a camera- didn't think they could hit that speed, set their wings, and continue- figure they were there 200-300 yards- then one turned and thumped the window- I watched- it got back up and flew across the road to join where the other two set down

dwilson

Re: pheasants in flight

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm

And it will probably be dead by morning which sucks since we are coming into the breeding season. Made is all the way through a hard winter to essentially get chased to death by someone in a truck. :(

Not so cool now, is it?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

dwilson wrote:And it will probably be dead by morning which sucks since we are coming into the breeding season. Made is all the way through a hard winter to essentially get chased to death by someone in a truck. :(

Not so cool now, is it?
You're kidding right? Take it somewhere else...

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

ACooper wrote:
dwilson wrote:And it will probably be dead by morning which sucks since we are coming into the breeding season. Made is all the way through a hard winter to essentially get chased to death by someone in a truck. :(

Not so cool now, is it?
ahhhhhhhh give the guy a break- PETA right- probably lives a nice sheltered life in town

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:12 pm

ACooper wrote:

Not so cool now, is it?
That comment has nothing to do with liberal animal rights or anything like that... He sped up to stay with them commenting on how they were watching him and esentially clobbered one. If he would not have increased his speed the bird would have been out and away. Assuming because it got up that it was fine does nothing. He chased down a wild animal in a vehicle and thought it was cool. It is not cool, does nothing but damage the population no matter how minor an individual is to it, and is not very sportsman like.

Animal rights activists think we are inhumane monsters but I would contend that no one wants to protect the wildlife more than the sportsman. Accidentally hitting one with a vehicle is one thing, chasing them down is something else. He wasn't hunting and he wasn't working his dog... He was reckless and an amazing animal that likely just went through the fight of it's life making it through winter surely was injured at the very least and will probably die for no reason at all.

Would you want someone to speed up and chase your dog down if it happened to be running along the road?

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Shadow wrote:
ACooper wrote:

Not so cool now, is it?
ahhhhhhhh give the guy a break- PETA right- probably lives a nice sheltered life in town
Absolutely not! I grew up in the country and while I live in town that changes nothing. This time of year I would be doing anything possible to protect the breeding population so I can hunt in the fall. I find no pleasure in chasing down an animal in a vehicle... Of course I tend to watch where I am driving so chasing them down wouldn't really increase my time of actually seeing them. Stopping the vehicle completely would be more effective in my opinion.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

chasing them down- you are comical- you'd be one of those that would run off the road crashing your vehicle because a squirrel ran in front of your vehicle- hope you don't have anyone else with you when you drive

I knew a woman who did just that- on my street-

"but office, it wasn't my faul I ran into that house, the poor squirrel was in the road and I tried to avoid it"

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Shadow wrote:chasing them down- you are comical- you'd be one of those that would run off the road crashing your vehicle because a squirrel ran in front of your vehicle- hope you don't have anyone else with you when you drive

I knew a woman who did just that- on my street-

"but office, it wasn't my faul I ran into that house, the poor squirrel was in the road and I tried to avoid it"
Go ahead and try to discredit me all you want... Why not call me a few names too?

You said you sped up to match their speed and then one cut over and hit your window. How is that not chasing them down? If you would have maintained the slower speed you would have gotten a plenty good look at them and you wouldn't have hit one. Add to that your reaction time when they came up and the time it took your vehicle to accelerate on a dirt road and you were outpacing them by a good amount to catch back up. That is physics and you can't argue with that. You chased them down and probably took an adult, breeding female out of the local population at a time when populations are falling. Awesome job! Not much different than poaching in my opinion.

It's not like one popped up and tried to cross in front of you and you hit it with no time to react or no choice but to maintain course, you accelerated!

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:43 pm

ahh dwilson- I'm not calling names- if you want to put a label on me that you feel is appropriate that's quite ok-

sorry you feel I have damaged your opertunity to hunt and kill a hen and her brood

where do you hunt and live by the way

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm

Shadow wrote:ahh dwilson- I'm not calling names- if you want to put a label on me that you feel is appropriate that's quite ok-

sorry you feel I have damaged your opertunity to hunt and kill a hen and her brood

where do you hunt and live by the way
I'm in Minnesota. I have no intention of killing a hen but I bet you had an intention of killing her brood.

Think about this... By your careless actions you have killed a hen that would have likely produced a brood of 6-10... Of those half would survive to adult hood. 3-5... So that would be maybe 2 hens living to adulthood. 1 of those maked it through the winter leaving you 2 adult hens the next spring... 4 the year after... 8 the year after... 16 the year after... 32 hens on the 5th year that will not be there because you had to punch the gas pedal. So now figure the older birds dying off... 16 hens left as decendants of that 1. thats 25+ fewer roosters for you to encounter in 5 years. There are a lot of hunters that don't see that many in several years of hunting. Conservation is a word most hunters know and love and some hunters need to learn.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 pm

oh boy- you are on a mission- to kill a hen and her unborn and her next- how many years does a hen live and reproduce- are you for real

don't suppose you've ever heard of someone hitting a deer and that deer walking away looking over her should laughing

so tell me- you being so kind hearted and all- do you put out feeders and shelters for pheasants- like pheasants forever- or just sit arround and make unfounded judgement on someone who has hunted more that you ever will- how old are you if I may ask

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Shadow wrote:oh boy- you are on a mission- to kill a hen and her unborn and her next- how many years does a hen live and reproduce- are you for real

don't suppose you've ever heard of someone hitting a deer and that deer walking away looking over her should laughing

so tell me- you being so kind hearted and all- do you put out feeders and shelters for pheasants- like pheasants forever- or just sit arround and make unfounded judgement on someone who has hunted more that you ever will- how old are you if I may ask
I am 31. I deer is a substantial animal. A pheasant is not. A bird has very brittle, hollow bones to save weight so they can fly. It takes little to nothing to crush their skeleton.

You know, animals get hit by cars all the time. BRagging about it on the internet is distasteful and shows hunters in a light that groups like PETA try to make us out to be. Bragging about accelerating to catch them is even worse. I have accidentally hit pheasants that popped up and didn't clear the car in time. It sucks and I hate it when it happens. I would never chase one down no matter how much I wanted to look at it and I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it on the internet.

No I do not put out shelters and feeders because I don't own the property to do it. I support PF so I guess in that way I do.

You better believe PETA reads these boards looking for something they can use against hunters in general. Stop feeding them.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

dwilson,

I understand where you think you are coming from but I personally make a distinction here. The bird flew into the car. I have had deer run into the side of a vehicle. I've seen a ruffed grouse rocket 200 yards across a four lane freeway only to smash right into the top of a Suburban traveling a constant 70 mph. I've seen a large bird of prey spring up and fly right into the side of a car. I've seen & heard of numerous song birds flying into picture windows only to drop to the ground, lay there for a minute or two and then fly off. I've seen birds launch themselves into the air from the side of the road, fly straight away from a vehicle & later suddenly swerve out of the way. A bird that suddenly swerves into the side of a moving vehicle is not the same as an exhausted animal run down by some drunken snowmobiler.

If that bird had continued to fly straight or swerve the opposite way would there have been an issue? I'm sorry but I just can't stretch this one out far enough to claim this was a wonton act of wildlife endangerment.

If you hunt an area where there are sharp-tail grouse, hen pheasants and a late hatch of pheasants with young of the year around please be certain to self report any misadventures you may have or have had. By the way please also report any living thing your dog or cat grabbed and injured or killed as you are responsible for allowing your dog or cat to be in a situation where their natural prey instinct could manifest itself.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I'm tired of self-righteous sinners.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm

I feel sorry for your emotional distress

you see me as running down those peasants- ahhhhhhhh- you need to go and spend more time amoung the wildlife

unlike you- I have helped to restore wildlife and habitat- not sat back and condoned what you percieve as a wanton disregard of wildlife-

31 huh- some say a pup with much to learn

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:54 pm

good night

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:36 pm

My problem with it is the way it sounds like bragging. If he has not accelerated his vehicle would not have been there. Yes, birds get hit by vehicles all the time and you can't help that but do you see people typing it out on the internet like it was some grand adventure? Sportsman should not condone that sort of thing since it puts up the wrong front against thousands and thousands of people that would love nothing better than to take our hobby/pasion away from us.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm

dwilson,

You must be having a bad day?!?! Take a deep breath man!

Nitrex

djc1285

Post by djc1285 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Doesn't sound like braggin to me.
Dan
Sure Point Kennels/Reservoir Brittanys

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

The intended focus was not the hen flying into the vehicle...

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Maybe I did have a bad day... Been working on buying a house, that pretty much does it now a days.

"I stepped it up to 47mph to match their speed- they set their wings eyes rolling looking at the vehicle-" that was the part that hit me as being bragging and the part combined with it hitting the window that struck me as something you just don't want to put out there on a public forum. An animal like that doesn't roll its eyes looking at a vehicle wondering if it has a hemi... It is trying to figure out how the heck to get away from it. Instincts told them to split up more than likely since they were flying for their lives which lead to one flying into the vehicle. It just struck me as something I really don't like seeing on the net.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 pm

A piece of advice to carry through life:

"Praise in public .. and .. criticize in private" = "how to build friends & influence enemies"
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 pm

i have to agree with everyone else i dont see any bragging about hitting the pheasant. and i doubt he killed the pheasant i have seen pheasants get hit by cars doing around the same speed and lay there for a minute and get up and fly away like nothing happen. and i have shot a pheasant from about 30 yards away with hi brass 4 shot pheasant loads and fold him and only walk up to them only to jump up run a little and fly off like nothing happen to him. and if you don't like what you read then stay away from the topic. its not like he meant for the pheasant to fly into his car. i have a question for you. how about shooter pigeons we use to train our dogs with. we put them into launchers with the intentions of killing them i don't hear anyone complaining about that. and that sounds worse to me then trying to catch up to a pheasant. and how about preserves and people that sale quail and pheasants people buy millions of them over the year to put out and shoot. again i don't hear anyone saying anything about that either. and again that sounds more inhumane then trying to catch up to a signal pheasant. but it was a accident he wasn't trying to hit the bird and he wasn't chasing it down to try and kill it or wound it. i am sure if he knew the bird was going to pitch over and clip the truck he wouldn't have done it let a alone be bragging about it. and its a signal hen pheasant that he hit. i will guarantee you hundreds of hen pheasants get shot each year by hunters i would be concentrating more on getting people to be more aware of what they are shooting at. then picking out the one person that was trying to catch up to one pheasant. JMO
kick'em up knock'em down

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:09 pm

sjkennels wrote:i have to agree with everyone else i dont see any bragging about hitting the pheasant. and i doubt he killed the pheasant i have seen pheasants get hit by cars doing around the same speed and lay there for a minute and get up and fly away like nothing happen. and i have shot a pheasant from about 30 yards away with hi brass 4 shot pheasant loads and fold him and only walk up to them only to jump up run a little and fly off like nothing happen to him. and if you don't like what you read then stay away from the topic. its not like he meant for the pheasant to fly into his car. i have a question for you. how about shooter pigeons we use to train our dogs with. we put them into launchers with the intentions of killing them i don't hear anyone complaining about that. and that sounds worse to me then trying to catch up to a pheasant. and how about preserves and people that sale quail and pheasants people buy millions of them over the year to put out and shoot. again i don't hear anyone saying anything about that either. and again that sounds more inhumane then trying to catch up to a signal pheasant. but it was a accident he wasn't trying to hit the bird and he wasn't chasing it down to try and kill it or wound it. i am sure if he knew the bird was going to pitch over and clip the truck he wouldn't have done it let a alone be bragging about it. and its a signal hen pheasant that he hit. i will guarantee you hundreds of hen pheasants get shot each year by hunters i would be concentrating more on getting people to be more aware of what they are shooting at. then picking out the one person that was trying to catch up to one pheasant. JMO
Your examples all entail cleanly killing the animal in an effort to improve you and your dog to cleanly take hunted game. Shooting preserves are much the same. Of course not all people can do it cleanly but that is something they need to work on. I would never expect to see someone post that they went to a preserve and winged birds all day though.

I hate seeing animal rights activists having something to latch onto. I have been approached at gas stations and stuff about the tritronics sticker and navhda stickers on my vehicle by these people. THey know what is what and will make all sorts of comments about how cruel hunters are and how they can't wait for our guns to be taken away. When bad things happen like this we shouldn't be putting it out there unless it is a question on making sure it doesn't happen again.

I keep a pretty low profile now. Removed the stickers and such. Of course I work in the health insurance industry and have had my life threatened to my face so maybe I am a bit touchier about the kooks out there than I should be.

And Bigshooter I will be sure to keep that in mind. I didn't expect itto get carried away. I thought the point would be clear. If there is some part of your story that isn't so great and isn't a learning experience it is probably better to leave it out.

And for the record I have hit 1 pheasant with a vehicle which cleanly killed it in season. It went in the freezer. I have killed several deer that others have hit and didn't have the guts to finish and left them lying by the side of the road dying a slow death. I have hit 1 coon which was also killed instantly. My dogs have nabbed two fledgling birds which I took away and cleanly disposed of. I shoot straight and have never lost a bird in the field or failed to track a wounded deer. I guess I have been lucky with my driving though I rarely have a need to drive at night.

I grew up in an area with no game birds so have not had much chance to work on restoring habitat for them though I have worked on wetland restoration and forest management for deer. I know what is involved and commend anyone that does it.

I saw no point in posting that last little bit to the story. The only thing it did was invite trouble and added nothing, sorry I called him on it. I definitely won't do it in the future. I still feel my points were valid sorry I pissed everyone off.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 pm

There have been lots of times I wish I had a camera also. It is pretty amazing how fast they can fly. Your story reminded me of that guy who flew a single man plane with the geese. So did you feel like one of the flock if only for a moment? :D

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 pm

This is a perfect example of another thing I try to teach people. If someone says something that you don't like or doesn't seem appropriate the first thing you can do is to say :

1. You said, "_________________". (Try to repeat word for word what you heard.)

2. This is what I heard " _______________ ". ( how you took it, what those words meant to you)

3. Is that what you meant to say? or Is that the point you were trying to make?

By the time you get the answer to 3. you often find the person didn't mean it the way you took it.

Instead what we do is have a knee jerk reaction to something someone said. We challenge them about it. Share it with other people in the office or on the forum. Then they and others react. We've made a mountain out of a mole hill and when the dust finally settles we find they didn't mean it exactly the way we took it. They didn't anticipate how what they said could be interpreted another way. We lost all chance of having the other party think about how to say the same or a similar thing a little differently the next chance they get and we've created ill will.

FWIW
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 am

DWilson-- Grow up and stop attacking a member for as something as silly as one hen. At the end of the day it's a small portion in scheme of things. The money Shadow spends and has spent towards hunting in recent years have probably saved numerous. Let a man enjoy the beauty of his spending once in a while... Again, GROW UP
KN

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 am

twofeathers wrote:There have been lots of times I wish I had a camera also. It is pretty amazing how fast they can fly. Your story reminded me of that guy who flew a single man plane with the geese. So did you feel like one of the flock if only for a moment? :D
and there you have it-

what I was describing is something I thought was pretty spectacular- I'm driving at 45 mph but not focused on the road-
three hens get up together, wings beating like crazy, right alongside my vehicle and instead of flying away they continue just above the ditch-
I'm curious exactly how fast they are going- look down at the digital display- 47mph- they set their wings-

a camera wouldn't do justice to their display- and yes- wasn't to hard to feel I was with them- sort of frozen in time- pretty birds 15' away
and I have seen on TV where they fly a remote plane teaching their raised Canadian Honkers- it was good- easy to feel you were right there

a bit later I thought- hum- I usually have the windows down when it's arround 70 degrees

I posted because maybe you've seen something like this or maybe not- so intead of keeping it to myself I like telling about it- will always stick in my mind

47mph is impressive- wonder if a rooster can fly faster

so folks- thanks- something to share- something you don't see every day- and while we hunt these birds and our dogs go after them- you have to wonder what your dog thinks as one of these gets up right in front of them-

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 am

Cool story about the wily phez.

Shadow, you know you willed that hen to fly into your windshield. You prolly kick puppies too :roll:

dwilson, take it from a guy who has lived almost twice the # of years on this planet as you.

When you back yourself into a corner, the best way to get out is to get a mirror and look hard at yourself and how you got there. You'll discover that just a smidgeon of sincere contrition is the best tool you have available.

After all, Shadow would rather kill the males in that brood with #6 pellets, and have one of his good-looking Britt's fetch them up! :wink:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:45 am

ahhhhhhhh Az- 1st, 2nd hen tipped and went over the top- 3rd tipped and bumped the passenger window- I usually have the windows down- hum-
excited pheasant in the vehicle-

that would have been a story to talk about- eh

willed it- heck- I was thinking keep flying right to the farm- I'll show you where to make your nest

not always- sometimes I don't even shootImage

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:10 am

I see no place for this topic to go from here. It was interesting till it became a personal critizm of someone that was a witmess to something that happens once in a great while. Think we all have experienced something very simuliar in our lives and not a one of us drove off the road to hit the bird. I don't quite see how we can be held responsible for an accident that the bird caused. Would have been a fitting end to this topic to see an apoligy after rethinking what was posted, but I don't think that is going to happen either.

Since all that can be said about the unfornate incident I am going to lock this and lets just move on. This is the perfect example of taking something that was said out of character and making it into the exact thing that was feared, a perfect story to draw attention of whom ever if that is a concern.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.