What happened to the birds?

bigoak

What happened to the birds?

Post by bigoak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

We get our birds from a breeder in northern Ill.have been getting birds from this breeder for over 10 years.I called about our up coming hunt test and was told there were no birds for us.What the heck is that about.I am looking for about 100 birds in Wisconsin for April 24th weekend.Any idea's...vern

dwilson

Re: What happened to the birds?

Post by dwilson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Birds are EXPENSIVE to feed and with an extremely weak economy it is hard to justify wintering over lots of expense that very well may not have anywhere to go.

The winter was a hard one too so expect to pay a premium for flight conditioned birds in the spring.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:54 pm

We've got the same problem here in Georgia. Last year, the major suppliers over-produced and were left holding the bag financially. This year, they under-produced. Can't blame them. All you hear about is the bad economy. But bird hunters and trialers always seem to find the extra change to follow their passion.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:12 am

I've heard that there has been massive mortality due to the cold winter. Suppliers losing birds in the tens of thousands.
The hunt club I belong to usually buys and keeps enough birds to allow people to train through the summer until the first fall hatch. This year, that ain't happening. We should have enough to get through our trial this weekend and a NSTRA regional the next, and that's about it.

Guess I'll either be using a lot more pigeons to train dogs, or spending more time shooting clays or being stupid on my ATV. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 am

zzweims wrote: All you hear about is the bad economy. But bird hunters and trialers always seem to find the extra change to follow their passion.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
that is true i have herd from so many people that i cant afford this and that but if you ask them wanna get some birds and work dogs or you hear i need a new toy to train with some how we always can come up with the money to do so.
kick'em up knock'em down