Feed Amount/Schedule

Fish 4-5

Feed Amount/Schedule

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:11 am

My 14 week GSP is doing great so far and just wanted to get a few opinions on the amount of food he gets per day. Currently we are giving him 1 cup 3 times a day per the manufactures instructions. He eats it so fast and then looks at me like, is there any more ? He looks good and healthy with no fat on him. On the other side of the coin his ribs are not sticking out so I think we are on the right track. I just was wondering if other folks were feeding along these lines.....Thx

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Feed Amount/Schedule

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 am

You are doing it right when you look at your dog and see he looks healthy and fit. What any one else is feeding is not relevant to what you need to feed. Every dog will require a different amount. And your dog will too as he grows, as the weather changes, as his activity level changes, and depending on what you are feeding.

The only creature on earth that can tell you how mich to feed is your dog. Sounds to me you are doing OK. I have three dogs all on the same feed but eat completely different amounts to stay in condition. Thats the only test.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

texscala

Post by texscala » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:30 am

Find a food you like and that works for your dog and stick with it. The only recommendation I have is to feed your dog on a regular schedule consistently. This makes life easier for us humans. You can know when your dog needs to go to the bathroom and if it is an inside dog you can schedule accordingly. Also I like a dog that eats its food fast, if my dog picks at its food and does not finish it in 10 minutes I take the bowl away for the day. If I were not to do so I would have kids playing in dog food. If outside you are likely to draw in scavengers like mice and coons.

Just some ideas.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 am

since pups were 6 weeks old been feeding them and adults twice a day- regular schedule- pups get 1 large coffe cup, female 1, male 2 at 6:00am and 5:00pm- they let me know if I'm late- I like that they hurry up and eat and want more- better than leaving some- but my male doesn't eat all his sometimes- he's smart I'd guess- knows what he needs maybe- so I take his away when he stops- so I'd say this male is happy with three cups

agree with above posts-

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:19 pm

I was pretty sure I was on the right track. But having a place to share some experiances makes it better for everyone. I would be wondering if everyone came back and said your starving your pup. Thx

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:25 pm

put up a picture or two

I like to be able to feel the ribs and hip bones

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Fish 4-5 wrote:I was pretty sure I was on the right track. But having a place to share some experiances makes it better for everyone. I would be wondering if everyone came back and said your starving your pup. Thx
No one could make that assessment without seeing your pup. But I can tell you to watch the pup and feed accordingly and do it at pretty much the same time each day whether you feed once or twice a day. Animals respond well to a set routine and a set diet. Good luck and let us know when you have to start increasing the pups feed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 am

Check this out for a guideline: http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx

Be sure to click on the button at the bottom of each photo labeled (Tips for owners) to get the top-down view as well. This is the only way to tell if you're feeding your dog the right amount - firsthand evaluation.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm not so sure about that site. Based on the diagrams provided, 90% of well-conditioned field-bred pointers would be considered malnourished........

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I doubt it. Those pictures are produced by Purina (if I recall correctly) and you can pretty much find them at every Veterinarian office. Remember, the drawings are of a Lab. On any breed without such a thick coat you're going to be able to see the ribs more prominently. But if you can see their pelvic bones sticking out, you need to feed them more.

Really look at the top-down pictures and compare to the side-view pictures. That's where you'll notice some serious differences.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux