NAVHDA for a pointer?

Lemonpointer

NAVHDA for a pointer?

Post by Lemonpointer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I have had my English Pointer puppy for about a week now. I was considering attending a NAVHDA training day in mid April. I liked what I read about NAVHDA vs. filed trialing my new pup. After reading further about what is involved in the utility test I don't know if it is right for a pointer. Perhaps I am mistaken but part of the utility test sounds like a blind duck retrieve exercise. Not to say that a pointer can't be taught to blind retrieve but ......... Is there an association similar to the NAVHDA but specific to pointers?

Puppy photos to follow as soon as I can figure out how to size the photos so they fit the post when attached.

Thanks

Birddogz

Re: NAVHDA for a pointer?

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:18 pm

When Ross reads this he is going to go off.

I know a pointer can do it with training. It may not come as naturally to a pointer as it does a DD, but they are more than capable.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Pointers can't swim.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Yawallac wrote:Pointers can't swim.

You just made me laugh out loud.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Where do you live Lemonpointer? One thing about pointers is that they aren't big fans of cold water at first. The best way in my opinion is to wait till the water hits 60 degrees and take him for a long hard run. Then take him to some water. He might just jump in and start swimming. If he looks crazy swimming at first, don't worry, he'll get better. How old is your pup? Is he FFed?

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm

If you've no interest in waterwork, you might look into AKC hunt tests rather than NAVHDA. The focus there is on fieldwork, with no water component.

That said, I've had a great time with my pointer in NAVHDA. Your dog will need to love water and have a strong desire to retrieve in order to get through his UT, but those traits and pointers are not mutually exclusive. (There is no blind retrieve in the UT; you won't run into that until you get to the Invitational.) Get your dog exposed to water when it warms up a bit, and as Ross will tell you, be sure to consistently nurture his retrieve. It is interesting that my pointer enthusiastically launched into the water the very first time I took him to a dam as a pup, whereas the Weim and GWP I owned prior to him both resisted going in for a month or so, and eventually had to be coaxed in with floating Cheetos. They both became strong water dogs, but no more so than this pointer. The pointer was also quicker through FF, and has as much natural retrieve as the continentals.

I've been asked why, as a pointer owner, I am involved with NAVHDA. My answer is that I enjoy the training, the challenge of the testing, and most of all the good company. I've been fortunate to meet some nice folks through the testing who have become good friends. I also like having a well-trained, well-behaved dog in the field. Regarding the waterwork, I'm not a big waterfowler, but I jumped a few dams last season while pheasant hunting, and knocked down both ducks and geese. My pointer happily entered some very cold water to retrieve them, courtesy in part from his NAVHDA training. I'll admit that if you spend a lot of time waterfowling in cold weather, you'll be better off with a heavier-coated dog, but in decent temperatures, your pointer will do a decent job of bringing back your ducks.

Pointers and setters are not the prototypical NAVHDA breeds, and you'll definitely be in the minority if you show up with one, but there's no reason you can't participate with a long-tail and do just fine. You might run into some breed-blindness once in a while, but most NAVHDA people will be more than happy to take you under their wing and help get you off to a good start.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:32 pm

ckirsch's Pointer.

Ice - NAVHDA Prize I UT

Train them like a GSP and they won't know the difference!! :)

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 pm

I have a buddy that is into the German dogs... but he also likes his Pointers. So he does the same with one that he does with the other..... I am not sure if the dog ever ran in a test, but from what he told me the Pointer had a water search to die for!

Lemonpointer

Post by Lemonpointer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:30 am

Birddogz wrote:Where do you live Lemonpointer? One thing about pointers is that they aren't big fans of cold water at first. The best way in my opinion is to wait till the water hits 60 degrees and take him for a long hard run. Then take him to some water. He might just jump in and start swimming. If he looks crazy swimming at first, don't worry, he'll get better. How old is your pup? Is he FFed?
Pup is only 8 1/2 weeks old .. No real training in the last week .. Some "come" and manners .. Lots of "no" and pee cleaning :lol: At this point just giving lots of love and praise and trying to enjoy the puppy antics.
Thank you all for the encouragement. This is my first pointer, and I want to do what is right for him. I am glad that all have said it is a good idea to go to the NAVHDA training. I have been looking forward to going since I first saw the pup at 3 weeks old. I am way over the winter here in Bucks Co.,PA and can't wait to get into the field with the pup :D
Thanks again!

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:09 am

Pointer pups are awesome. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULoqQ_WP2d4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObmP1LmBNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu68sfxTgas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRi-8C0icDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vMoJAELTU

Let your pup be a pup and ...have fun!!

(PS if you have any training questions feel free to PM me anytime).

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:43 am

We have a couple pointers in my NAVHDA group. Join- it is a blast!

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 pm

If you get involved in a NAVHDA chapter, you don't need to do the water work if you don't want to. The best thing about most NAVHDA chapters is the decades of experience to draw from. The majority of folks involved are more than happy to help anyone who attends.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

friedaddy

Post by friedaddy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Not sure if DelVal is the closest chapter to you, but here is the list of events.

http://www.delvalnavhda.com/train.html

I am also new to versatile dogs and NAVHDA. I went to the fall test last Sept. to observe and the members are great people. They willingly answered all my questions and explained everything. I have a 6 month old GSP and we will be attending the training clinics and she will test for NA on June 12th. The training and testing are at Colliers Mills in Jackson, NJ.

Your pup will be about 6 months by then, i'm guessing that your pup could do the NA test. Maybe a more seasoned trainer can verify this. I feel that my pup could pass the NA right now if we did some tracks.

If you do join DelVal, I hope to see you at some events. You'll be easy to find :mrgreen: amongst all the short tails.

Jay