Flea And Tick Control

Fish 4-5

Flea And Tick Control

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 am

Got the new puppy and all is well. With warm weather around the corner I am looking for good info on flea/tick products. Frontline looks popular as well as Advantix. Any help with good places to purchase or other comments is apprietiated...... 21 lb GSP

friedaddy

Re: Flea And Tick Control

Post by friedaddy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 am

I have my first birdog as well a 6 month old GSP. I have spoken to my vet and have read in various places that Frontline and Advantix is becoming less and less effective. For whatever reasons, I'm not sure, so sorry I don't have any solid evidence of this.

But my vet recommended Adams flea and tick mist. The regular mist can be used on pups as early as 12 weeks the one with Insect Growth Regulator cannot be used until 6 months old. I apply it every nine days or whenever she has gone swimming or had a bath. I have not had any problems so far with fleas and ticks, but it has also been winter. When she was first brought home, she got fleas almost instantly and this spray kills them instantly and I sprayed all her blankets and bed. I watched them fall off her as I misted her. And it makes her smell good!

I plan on using this spray througout the summer also considering that she will likely swim at least 4 times a week. And I cannot trust that a monthly application will last thru that much water.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:55 am

To be honest with ya, I have used Frontline products and have had ok results with them. I have still pulled ticks off though that were attached on occasion . Since I have switched to using the "Preventic" collars I have yet to pull one off the dogs. They seem to do a much better job of keeping the ticks from attaching, however they don't guard against fleas.

I don't live in a tick infested area, but the results were noticeably better with Preventic than just Fronline alone, especially with preventing the ticks from attaching. That and one collar will last up to 3 months. If you live in a highly, tick infested area, the Preventic collars can be used in conjunction with Fronline spot on's for maximum protection.
Last edited by Chaingang on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I have used the Adams spray too. It seemed to work well. The main product I used last summer was the Bio-Spot flea and tick drop. After I started using it on my three dogs I did not find a single tick or flea on them. All three dogs are inside but they spend alot of time outside. The Bio-Spot is very cost effective and usually you can get free shipping from Lion Country Supply or Foster and Smith.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 pm

I've used Advantix on 3 dogs ( and a cat) for many years. Never seen a tick or a flea ever.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 pm

I use Frontline Plus- have for over 8 years- that and Ivomectin and I've had no problems with fleas and ticks or heartworms-- once a month all year long
I buy it from LCS in the large does, split it up, and also give it to the cat-

don't buy that stuff from WallMart- isn't good enough