Long haired woes

daniel77

Long haired woes

Post by daniel77 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:14 am

I'll be picking up an ES pup the first part of March. This will be my first long haired dog, and I keep reading about the tangles and having to spend a bunch of time getting burs and trash out of the hair. I'm not opposed to spending time on the dog, I just didn't envision that time being spend grooming. I also train horses and was wondering if spraying them down with Show Sheen or a similar silicon based spray, used on horses all the time, would pretty much eliminate this whole problem, or at least make the brushing go a lot faster and easier. Has anyone tried this?
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Long haired woes

Post by shags » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:26 am

That'll work.

So does a set of clippers with a 10 blade :lol:

In the warm weather I body clip my setters and take off most of the long hair on their legs; I leave their ears alone (clean up the fuzzy hair around the head, but leave the flaps alone) and trim the tails leaving a nice flag.

In cold weather I thin and trim the long feathering and leave the body hair on. A comb, a tube of Cowboy Magic, and 10 or 15 minutes takes care of burrs.

If you clip your dog short, be careful about sunburn.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Dan,
Absolutely use the show sheen and the other great product is Cowboy Magic, it takes all the burrs right out, its really a horse mane detangler, and if you use it on your Setter prior to working in the field, everything combs right out. Cowboy magic is the best product for long haired dogs we have ever used, I own 4 Setters, one Small Munsterlander and one Weimer pup, other than the Weimar Cowboy magic gets used on all the dogs, works well for stopping snow balls also.
RGD/Dave

Bill Reid doing a little Setter Training in the Pa mountains

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks Ryman,
I train cutting horses for a living, so I'm quite familiar with Cowboy Magic as well. I agree that it is the best stuff since sliced bread, but you can cut the show sheen with water 50/50 and the spraying application is so easy. Also the Cowboy magic is a bit pricey. Thanks again.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 pm

+1 on the cowboy magic and if you buy laser sheen its concentrated so you can mix it stronger than show sheen works well

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 pm

My dog's hair is very coarse so they don't stick as much but you can save money by buying the same stuff from a candle & soap making supply house.

People at the farm do that and its a fraction of the cost.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:19 pm

mcbosco wrote:My dog's hair is very coarse so they don't stick as much but you can save money by buying the same stuff from a candle & soap making supply house.

People at the farm do that and its a fraction of the cost.
Could you please explain this a bit further? I'm not quite sure what candles and soap have to do with silicone based hair detanglers. Thanks.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:33 pm

The two silicone oils in the prepared commercial detanglers and shine sprays are used to make lotions & soaps. One of the show groomers makes her own with some sort of citrus oil and those silicone oils, which can be bought easily online.

Don't know if it worth the trouble in the end but I guess when your are in the business, saving money where ever you can helps.

It really smells great.