German Wirehair puppy question

dawgmama

German Wirehair puppy question

Post by dawgmama » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi, we just lost our Wirehair to Lyme and Leukemia, and have found a litter of pups to replace her (she'll be hard to replace, but... you know what I mean). The guy has been breeding a long time, breeds for the foot hunter, disposition, coat etc. He has 4 males left out of a litter of ten (they are still all in the litter so I'll be able to see who's the middle of the road pup). Two pups are liver and white, and two are black and white. The AKC says black dogs are "severely penalized". The UKC does not penalize for black coats. I guess black Wirehairs are common in Europe, and the sire is from Germany.

We do not show. We may however, get into NASTRA now that our youngest is heading to college. I don't think coat color will matter, and I have an e-mail in to the breeder to see if they are AKC or UKC. For NASTRA, the dog must be registered, right?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Nan
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Adam Dahlstrom

Re: German Wirehair puppy question

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm

This comes from the rule book.

b. A dog must be eligible to be registered with a recognized registry to enter any NSTRA trial.
1. NSTRA recognizes the NSTRA, AKC, FDSB, and CKC registries. However, regardless of which
registry is used, the dog must be eligible to be registered in the NSTRA registry as a recognized
pointing dog breed to be entered in any NSTRA trial.

Where are you getting your dog from? Where are you located?

Adam

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:14 pm

We are in Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. The dog is at Get My Point kennels, in New London, Wi. The female has bloodlines from Dave Duffys dogs, Rough and Ready etc. and the male, I can't recall.

Thanks for the info on NASTRA Adam, I looked on their website, but didn't find that information.

Nan

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:40 am

The breeder emailed me back. The pups are AKC. Guess you won't see me in Madison Square Garden if I take a black and white. lol :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 am

I don't understand why you would intentional pick one based on a color that is not well accepted in this country. I would much prefer to follow the breed standard which opens up a larger area of opportunity if your dog is good enough that you decide to breed it. Just seems if we want our breeds to stay true to type and perform like intended that we need to do what we can to continue those standards fo future generations. If the dog is not going to be bred then either would be OK but it does limit you on what you can do with the dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 am

Sorry about your dog by the way. I was wondering where you were from since I run NSTRA and I am from ND. If you were on the western edge you could come to a few trials. Milwaukee is a little far for me but (12 hours) may be fine for you. Anyway you're always welcome to run here if you start.

As far as Ezzy's post I agree to a certain point. I wouldn't let color sway you. Pick the dog you feel the best about. Color isn't gonna make them hunt harder or not as hard. Who care's as long as the dog can find birds. By the way some well known breeders are trying to produce blacks. No different than the gray labs now being produced that will end up as standard some day.

Adam

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 am

As far as Ezzy's post I agree to a certain point. I wouldn't let color sway you. Pick the dog you feel the best about. Color isn't gonna make them hunt harder or not as hard. Who care's as long as the dog can find birds. By the way some well known breeders are trying to produce blacks. No different than the grey labs now being produced that will end up as standard some day.
It's my understanding that, much like the GSP, that black in the GWP was accepted in the original german version..the DD, and we just didn't translate the color into our breed standard. I agree with adam that someday it will be voted in for show.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:38 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:
As far as Ezzy's post I agree to a certain point. I wouldn't let color sway you. Pick the dog you feel the best about. Color isn't gonna make them hunt harder or not as hard. Who care's as long as the dog can find birds. By the way some well known breeders are trying to produce blacks. No different than the grey labs now being produced that will end up as standard some day.
It's my understanding that, much like the GSP, that black in the GWP was accepted in the original german version..the DD, and we just didn't translate the color into our breed standard. I agree with adam that someday it will be voted in for show.
I wouldn't argue with that but till it is I am going to stick with the standard for any dog I would consider for breeding. When I sell a pup I do not want anyone wondering if it will be the right color, the right size, or the right temperment. I want them to know that our dogs are bred as close as possible to the standard of the breed and they will know what to expect from their puppy or any future pups it may produce.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks everyone, for the advice. We are going to neuter him, so I guess it won't matter what color we get. We've had Wirehairs for 24 years, and when I saw black I went- "huh?". I know the male was from Germany, where black is accepted, so perhaps that 'older' bloodline, combined with the 'newer' American bloodline, it may produce darn nice pups. It is a repeat breeding, with previous pups on site, so.... we'll take a look.

Thanks Adam, as you say 12 hours is a bit of a trek, but... hey, with my empty nest :( , we might be up for it.
Nan