to smell or not to smell (a dead dog)

jbr03

to smell or not to smell (a dead dog)

Post by jbr03 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Hey guys,

well, my parents are going to put down their 17 year old jack russell in the next day or two and this has given way to a question. Should i let the rest of the pack (1 pointer, a coonhound, and a 12 year old jack russell) smell the dog after the deed is done? my thinking is that it will give them all closure once they know the old boy has passed on. does this make sense to anyone else? just curious...
Brian

postoakshorthairs

Re: to smell or not to smell (a dead dog)

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:50 am

:?: :?: I can't see that this will hurt anything but i can't say that i've ever read/heard anything that dogs need "closure". I will say they'll figure out he's not there on their own. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do it...but i'm no expert.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 am

I think you are trying to give your dogs human feelings and I don't think it works that way. Do what you want but it probably will not mean a thing to the dogs. We are the animal that fears death and not your dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 am

Personally, I don't think it's really necessary. My dogs have been pretty resilient when it came to one of them passing on. The others either didn't seem to notice, or seemed a little out of sorts for a little while and then got over it.
If it were me, I wouldn't bother, but as was said, it can't hurt, either.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:30 am

It has always seemed to me that once the smell of the other dog is gone, the dogs tend to get on with things.

I don't think they "understand" death in the same way as humans do and they certainly do not fear it.

I think that the more of a big deal yu, the master, make of it, the more the dogs will react.

RayG

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:41 am

As others mentioned, I don't think it will hurt, but I dont think its doing much either.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:32 am

It makes absoutely no sense to me!!!! Have no idea why you would do it!!!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 am

i have heard of this before. there have been test that show dogs have less of a reaction to missing members when they know the member is dead. i don't think there are any test indicating that dogs "mourn" or have feelings about death but the idea of knowing the dog is dead allows the pack to move on without so much confusion. i think these tests would be accurate when it is the alpha who has passed but not so sure about anything less.

my feelings are like many others, do what makes you happy, it may help, i don't think it will hurt. dogs do not have the capabilities of realizing, "hey i'm gonna die one day".

Debf

Post by Debf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 am

For what's it worth...I kind of wish we had done this when our first dog died. Our GWP adored Andi and ran around the house trying to find her for months after we had to put her down at the vet's office. For our other dogs - no.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:22 pm

i have never been one to give dogs human traits, i just figured this might help them avoid the confusion and wondering where the other dog went. its not that im trying to let them mourn or anything like that, just figured they would want the information that Spike wont be around anymore and why. doggie death isnt something im familiar with as far as the psychology of the beast goes so i was just wondering. feel a bit crucified for asking the question after reading some of the answers. i think most misunderstood what i was getting at.
Brian

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm the alpha dog at my house but please don't lay me out for my dogs to sniff when I'm gone.

I'm sorry to hear you have to put your Jack down. After 17 years that has got to be tough.
I'm interested in the condition of your 17 year old Jack. Is the arthritis bad? What have you noticed about his health? I have a still hunting 12 year old Jack Russell so am wondering what I can expect, realizing of course that all dogs are different.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cody

Post by cody » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 pm

of course it matters to them didn't you see "where the red fern grows"?

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

My EP died this fall while hunting with my GSP. They have spent there whole lives together, the EP went into a seizure and died, my GSP sniffed him and then took off down the hill hunting. As if he had no care in the world.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Sharon wrote:I'm the alpha dog at my house but please don't lay me out for my dogs to sniff when I'm gone.

I'm sorry to hear you have to put your Jack down. After 17 years that has got to be tough.
I'm interested in the condition of your 17 year old Jack. Is the arthritis bad? What have you noticed about his health? I have a still hunting 12 year old Jack Russell so am wondering what I can expect, realizing of course that all dogs are different.

Well, i think he may be around 90% deaf. When i try to call him back in the house he acts like no one is there. i have to tap him on the butt so he knows im there and its time to go inside. his vision is going but i think he can see better than everyone at the house thinks. everyone thinks he is practically blind, but i personally dont think his eyes are that bad. as for arthritis, he has his good days and bad days. every once and while he will gallop outside or around the living room, and ive even seen him jump off the bed like he was a young pup. but most of the time he cant keep his back legs up and he sorta half stands/half sits when he isnt moving. he cant keep his feet from slipping on the wood floors either. he props his butt against something like a wall or a cabinet and will sit there all the while his front legs will keep slipping out from under him. he also cannot hold his bodily functions anymore. the carpet in my parents house is TOTALLY trashed from all the poop and pee stains (a 4 year old in the house doesnt help either) but the pet stains from the jack are so unbelievable i cannot begin to explain how bad it is. we plan on putting in new flooring after he is gone. hes old, but i personally think he would be alright with some arthritis meds. but its not my decision to make. Though i wouldnt have any clue how to curb the pooping and peeing in the house all day long. ive read about jack russells living to 29!!! we also have a 12 year old jack russell female who is in WAY better shape. both dogs have been farm born and raised so i figure that would shorten their life expectancy. ill silently be glad once both of the jack russells are gone so i can finally get my parents that english pointer!
Brian

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 pm

feel a bit crucified for asking the question after reading some of the answers. i think most misunderstood what i was getting at.
Sorry you feel like that. You have to be pretty thick skinned to ask a question on this board...you'll get plenty of answers with little regard for your feelings :D That's why i don't ask questions.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:24 pm

I have never heard of doing that, but I know that my mother had two labs and one died. The other lab for weeks acted sad and would go and lay in the trailer that they used to move the other lab with when they burried him.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:59 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:
feel a bit crucified for asking the question after reading some of the answers. i think most misunderstood what i was getting at.
Sorry you feel like that. You have to be pretty thick skinned to ask a question on this board...you'll get plenty of answers with little regard for your feelings :D That's why i don't ask questions.
I agree. Your question is reasonable.

It will do no harm to allow your other dogs to sniff their dead buddy. It may even make you feel better. It won't do any harm no matter what your reasons may be for allowing it. I believe that dogs are more worthy of souls than many humans, whether they posses them or not, beats the heck out of me. I won't ask anyone to take my advice on this subject as if I am an authority on the matter. Count me among those who appreciate your question. Sorry for your loss.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm

jbr03 wrote:
Sharon wrote:I'm the alpha dog at my house but please don't lay me out for my dogs to sniff when I'm gone.

Well, i think he may be around 90% deaf. When i try to call him back in the house he acts like no one is there. i have to tap him on the butt so he knows im there and its time to go inside. his vision is going but i think he can see better than everyone at the house thinks. everyone thinks he is practically blind, but i personally dont think his eyes are that bad. as for arthritis, he has his good days and bad days. every once and while he will gallop outside or around the living room, and ive even seen him jump off the bed like he was a young pup. but most of the time he cant keep his back legs up and he sorta half stands/half sits when he isnt moving. he cant keep his feet from slipping on the wood floors either. he props his butt against something like a wall or a cabinet and will sit there all the while his front legs will keep slipping out from under him. he also cannot hold his bodily functions anymore. the carpet in my parents house is TOTALLY trashed from all the poop and pee stains (a 4 year old in the house doesnt help either) but the pet stains from the jack are so unbelievable i cannot begin to explain how bad it is. we plan on putting in new flooring after he is gone. hes old, but i personally think he would be alright with some arthritis meds. but its not my decision to make. Though i wouldnt have any clue how to curb the pooping and peeing in the house all day long. ive read about jack russells living to 29!!! we also have a 12 year old jack russell female who is in WAY better shape. both dogs have been farm born and raised so i figure that would shorten their life expectancy. ill silently be glad once both of the jack russells are gone so i can finally get my parents that english pointer!
Thank you for writing out all that info. I appreciate it. It was helpful.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

56-26 wrote:I have never heard of doing that, but I know that my mother had two labs and one died. The other lab for weeks acted sad and would go and lay in the trailer that they used to move the other lab with when they burried him.
interesting. we had a golden retriever with cancer put down years ago. the jack russell that we put down today had known her his whole life and was showing similar signs of sadness. the vet prescribed tiny doses of prozac. true story.
Brian

k2k

Post by k2k » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

First, I'm sorry for your parents' loss.

I too have heard of instances where the remaining dog pack was allowed to see/sniff the dog. And of instances where they weren't and didn't understand where the other dog had gone. I don't see how it would hurt. I let my GWP see my Akita when she died. I guess just so she knew what happened....

I don't know how much elephants and dogs have in common, but I do know that elephants visit their dead and seem to try to sort things out.

From my point of view, Light on the Bay said it better than I could have.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think you are trying to give your dogs human feelings and I don't think it works that way. Do what you want but it probably will not mean a thing to the dogs. We are the animal that fears death and not your dogs.

Ezzy
Ditto!!
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:29 pm

jbr03 wrote:i have never been one to give dogs human traits, i just figured this might help them avoid the confusion and wondering where the other dog went. its not that im trying to let them mourn or anything like that, just figured they would want the information that Spike wont be around anymore and why. doggie death isnt something im familiar with as far as the psychology of the beast goes so i was just wondering. feel a bit crucified for asking the question after reading some of the answers. i think most misunderstood what i was getting at.
Don't ever be afraid to ask a question on here. People are just giving their honest opinions. I would think that is why you are asking. I have not read anything to make you think you are being crucified. If it makes you feel better, do it. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry for your loss.

Charlie

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 am

no i really do appreciate the honesty on this forum, which is why i have (sorta) kept up with it for the past 3 years. The people on here have been a great asset to me and i have always been able to get answers to many questions. i feel like this is a virtual family in a way. looking back i should have rephrased the question and just asked "what do you think of letting a dog sniff a dead dog" and not used the word "closure" should have used "understanding" in its place. no harm done though and if even if i was offended, i dont take it personally.

FYI though. we had one of the horse vets (i live on a thoroughbred training facility) put him down slowly. i had to run off for business and wasnt around to let any of the dogs sniff Spike, but i would have liked to let them, mostly just to see their reaction. all the dogs seem to be fine though. only dog i would see that would have issues is the 12 year old jack russell who knew the dog her whole life, but she is a mean one and is probably happy the old boy is gone.
Brian

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

I have been wanting to make a point for some time. Words only mean so much. Body language, facial expressions, tone of voice and so on mean more than words alone. It is easy to get the wrong impression by reading a person's comments on a computer screen. If we were talking to that person face to face, we may get a totally different impression. We sometimes get offended when there is no offense intended. I have done it myself. Just something I try to keep in mind.FWIW :wink:

Charlie