Ways to get new club members?

SierraMtnBrits

Ways to get new club members?

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm sure there are a lot of dog clubs out there right now having a hard time holding things together with the economy the way it is, a lot of people don't have a lot of spare money to be ding extra things like field trials and hunt tests. My husband and I are about the only club members left of the Northern Nevada Brittany Club. We joined back in 2001, and it was small then, about 10-15 core members. Most of those members have dropped out either because they don't have Brittanys anymore or they sadly have moved away. Right now, we are down to about 3 members. We would like to hold field trials and hunt tests, but it's hard with such a small group. We have had to cancel the last few events due to lack of participation. Do you guys who belong to bird dog clubs have any ideas on how to attract new members? There are lots of Brittany owners in the area, however, most of them just want to hunt and are not interested in trials, shows, etc. The other bird dog club in the area (GSP club) is strong, and has lots of members. We've tried advertising on Craigslist, at the sporting goods stores (cabela's, sportsman's warehouse etc.) no response. Is it time to just let go? :cry:
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Ways to get new club members?

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm

The number one thing, IMHO, that a club can do to attract members is to have training days. Training grounds, help, birds, equipment, etc. Maybe it's different out there, but it would sure work here.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:32 pm

If you want members you have to offer something people want. Sine you have people whohunt in the area, training days sound good for a start. Once you get a group interested then you can start asking what they would like to do or what it would take to bring in more people. Social events and fun trials or fun shows along with youth events seem to work around here.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Greg has a very good suggestion and the club that I belong to does just that. We also have a fun Trial in Sept with lots of door prizes, a raffle, fish or nut fry and they do it at a local preserve. As for the trials they ALWAYS have a gund dog stake and this year almost all the KS clubs have started holding the gun dog stake on the Saturday of the trial. This allows for the "new guys" to be able to attend easier without missing church and most importantly makes these newbies feel important. They have the same benefit of the gallery and judges as the shooting dogs that run. Websites help a lot also, you can throw one together VERY inexpensively and if I can do it anyone can! Good luck.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:51 pm

As Stated Training clinics, Special Training Guests, Once a month or special suppers. Put together a fun trial or other events. Don't get stuck on just AKC events, do NSTRA, AKC and UKC Hunt Tests, NAVHDA, etc. Diversitiy keeps a business going. Put together some hunts on local preserves. Every one pays 10 or some amount of $ once enough people are put in the pot to pay for a day hunt you draw a name. Do this every so often as is supported.

It is important to get many involved even if on some small level keeping all informed and participating even if they are just asked for suggestions, to keep it all going.

I also think breed specific clubs are at a disadvantage. Open it up to all pointing breeds.

Any way,

Good luck.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Lot's of good suggestions. It's all about finding the interest of the majority. If hunting is the thing in your area , then I would suggest centering your club around teh hunting experience. Training Days, Hunts, Hunting Seminar's, Guest speakers at club meetings that can offer advice, insight, and do'& don't for hunting your areas with Brittany's. Once you start building a core membership, you can sort of branch out into diferent areas to assure that all members are getting some of what interests them. Mix it up and don;t be afraid to think outside the box so to speak. For now I would aggressivley go after what interests the masses, and first and foremost....you want the people "looking in" to want to be part of the club because it's informative, , pertains to their interest, and most of all- looks like fun. JMO
I am a member here of a "breed specific" club and we have at least 20-30 active members and probably twice that who are not as active because of the logistics of meetings etc. On a cold and snowy week night we will typically get 12-15 show for meetings, which I think is pretty good!. Our club has guest speakers on every thing from trials, shows, hunt tests, AKC, first aid, and on and on. I have become intersted in things just from attending these meetings. The club must continue to evolve in order for people to stay intersted. If it's the same old thing month after month ....year after year, people will move on. Again JMO !! Good Luck with your club,.
Bill L.
Last edited by Elroy's Bandit on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Our club hosts a Training day and fun trial all together. You will need volunteers who know how to train dogs, judge, etc. We usually have a big turnout and is a great way to bring new members in.

Or, you can just get a GSP! kidding.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pm

SierraMtnBrits wrote:Right now, we are down to about 3 members.
Did you include me in this 3? I havent received a member renewal so not sure if my membership is still current.

Although the GSPC of Reno has a large membership the club lacks participation. Our last event was put on by 4 members, myself included.

I have been noticing that members that "only hunt" show zero interest in helping put on an event. These same people would take advantage of a training day but you still couldnt count on them for event participation. They almost always have some excuse for not giving up one weekend of there time to help.

Many clubs through out our region have the same issue. Most of them when they are looking for judges are also asking for participation in putting on the event. Food preparation, Line Marshaling, and bird planters are the most needed.

Yvonne we could look at bringing in a couple different Pro trainers over the summer for some seminars. Possibly do a joint thing with the GSPC of Reno. You could also keep an eye out for Brittany litters for sale locally and ask the litter owner if they would include a membership application with each puppy buyer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Our club has a yearly " Hunter's Stake" - the requirements are lenient , not involving steady to flush for example. Members still have to bring someone though. It's rare for someone to show up out of the blue.

The club as a whole has to want new members. Lots of folks talk the line but in reality they really don't want new folks.

At our first 'Hunter's Stake", of course their stake was put last on the day's agenda. By the time they started hardly a soul was still around. Not good. That had to be changed.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SierraMtnBrits

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 pm

These are all really good ideas, thanks. A lot of them we have tried. Like Casper said though, people do come out for the freebies or training days but when you need their help, they don't show up. Casper I did count you as a member, I have to check and see when your membership expires... We are trying to put on a double hunt test next month with GSPC of Reno, but we are having a heck of a time finding judges, as always. Thank you all for your great input, I will see if the members can get together and brainstorm some of these ideas and more options. I would just hate to see the club dissolve after it being so much a part of my life for the last 10 years....
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!