Trying to help a friend (and her dog), need advice...

chucky2

Trying to help a friend (and her dog), need advice...

Post by chucky2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:29 pm

I've got a friend that bought a yellow female lab pup and is now pregnant (not the lab pup, the friend). Unfortunately, the environment the pup is in isn't the best, as the pup really is not getting the attention it needs. It's a few months old now, and is a good dog, however, it just has too much energy for my friend, and she's not getting any less pregnant. They're in the St. Lous, MO area, on the IL side.

The obediance school trainer has commented to her a couple of times that it seems Miley has the temperment of a hunting type dog.

So I figured I'd try looking on sites like these and see if I could find someone that would be looking for a few months old pup. I really know nothing about dogs, other than I like them. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't think my friend wants to just drop her off at a pound/shelter or something, on the other than, between work and pregnancy, Miley's getting to be too much to handle.

I appreciate any thoughts on this!

Chuck

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Trying to help a friend (and her dog), need advice...

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:41 pm

did she try contacting the breeder ? Many responsible breeders will take their pups back
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

chucky2

Post by chucky2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Don't know, I will suggest that to her though, not sure she thought to do that. Some breeders would really take back a pup that's months old at this point?

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:55 pm

You also may look for a lab rescue in the area. They will normally help find a good home.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:14 pm

yes I do take my pups back should something happen where someone is no longer able to care for them.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:24 pm

you have multiple options as others said contact the breeder, contact local lab rescue put the dog up for adoption, free or sale on sites like this in the dogs for sale section (PICTURES PEDIGREE CONTACT INFO Are always requested) in the for sale section

Jester

Post by Jester » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:03 am

do you have pics and more info on the dog i know some one that is looking for a new dog

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 am

This happens all too often with sporting type dogs. Someone wants a lab or a shorthair or setter because they are just so darn pretty. In the meantime they give absolutely no considerations to what purpose that breed of dog is bred for. The dog has a great deal of energy and the instincts it was bred for and the owner decides they don't want to mess with it and the dog pays the price. The fact that you are doing the leg work to find the best option, but please keep this in mind the next time one of your friends or family says they want a sporting dog for a.pet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:10 pm

romeo212000 wrote:This happens all too often with sporting type dogs. Someone wants a lab or a shorthair or setter because they are just so darn pretty. In the meantime they give absolutely no considerations to what purpose that breed of dog is bred for. The dog has a great deal of energy and the instincts it was bred for and the owner decides they don't want to mess with it and the dog pays the price. The fact that you are doing the leg work to find the best option, but please keep this in mind the next time one of your friends or family says they want a sporting dog for a.pet.
So it seems you are blaming the messenger for something he has nothing to do with. As far as dogs that are bred for pets then you need to go to the little toy dogs that were bred as lap dogs. Many of the working dogs are just as needy as a sporting dog since they were bred for working, herding and such. Hounds are bred for trailing and terriers are probably the most high strung and active are always on the go. Just believe you will find that porting dogs are just like most dogs and need some attention to be good pets.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Ezzy, as usual you read far too much into a post. I am aware working type dogs can fit into the same category as we are referring to here, but since this is a forum for sporting dogs I chose to be more specific to the subject. Second, I most certainly not blaming the messenger as you stated. I was simply asking the op to remember this situation for friends and family in the future. I am perfectly aware that any dog can be a good pet with the proper care and attention. I was simply pointing out that sporting dogs require more attention than the average person seeking a house pet is prepared to give. The op stated a trainer stated the lab had more of a temperment of a hunting lab. That may be the case but one should remember that any lab has those instincts are in their blood no matter what.

chucky2

Post by chucky2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 am

First, thank you all for the help!

I contacted a couple of rescue sites I think might be in her area, did it over this weekend, so hopefully I'll hear something back this week.

Jester- I don't have any info at this time, but, I'll be able to contact her at work tomorrow (providing she's in) and get it to post back here tomorrow night. If she's not a work tomorrow, I'll shoot her a cell text and see when she can provide that.

romeo212000 and ezzy333- Understand what both of you are saying. Yes, I cautioned her about Labs being a breed that needs exercise and attention, and I know she understood. However, the home environment didn't work out like she planned I don't think, and then she's now pregnant on top of that; her side effects are high fatiuge instead of naseua, and she's still working 50-60+ hours a week...so Miley is getting less and less attention instead of the more and more she needs.

My sole purpose here is to just try and find a good home for the dog where it'll be treated right (daily quality attention given to it, preferably house kept, etc.). I'm not a crazed PETA type person who's wanting a prospective owner to provide a letter of recommendation from their priest, but, on the flip side, I'm not looking for this pup to be put in a kennel and just left there day after day, with maybe an hour of out time - that's no life for a dog, especially a Lab. Kristen (owner) I know is in agreement with me on this.

Hope this explains more where I'm coming from...

Chuck

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:13 am

Chucky
I live not too far from your friend. I'm not a lab person but I know several people in the area that love labs as pets and hunting companions. If you could post or pm me with some particulars...ie: pedigree, price, location etc. i'll contact them and see if anyone is interested.