Tent Hunters

M1Tanker

Tent Hunters

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Even though I live in the heart of grouse country, I do spend 4 days in a tent every year in Wisconsin...the other place where there are no birds.

I have been camping a an old Coleman dome tent for 10 years and it has finally given up the ghost this year so I am looking to replace it.

I have a gift card for Cabelas from Christmas and am looking at this tent:

Cabela's Outback Lodge

It shows good reviews but I would like to hear form other tent hunters out there what you think?

I hunt with a large group but we all have our own tents. I was thinking this one and a Buddy Heater would do well for myself.

Any opinions from those who tent it?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Tent Hunters

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Don't know about the tent, but can highly recommend the Coleman BlackCat tent heaters. They'll about run you out of the tent even in bitter cold temps.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:53 am

I would go with another Coleman (you got 10 yrs out of yours)and throw a tarp that is big enough to touch the ground on each side over it to aid in heat retention and storm protection. Then I would use the gift card for other goodies

My first $60 Coleman tent I got 18 years out of it. Nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded to a bigger one ($70). I have never had a trip ruined because of my tent. You may say "but you live in AZ". Well most of my camping trips in my life have been winter camping in northern MN.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:02 am

I did quite a bit of camp hunting- like the cheap ones like the Coleman 7'X7 or such worked nice- aren't out so much if they get damaged- elk hunting we used the Gabelas Outfitters Guide- nice- as in the one you posted very nice tent- that's quite a tent you posted- go for it- cook stove with chimney would do nicely

gravedigger

Post by gravedigger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:28 am

I live here in Colorado and I use a Montana wall tent (Canvas).it has served me well over the years Big game hunting.The tent your looking at is a well built tent.The cabelas up in Sydney,Neb has a bunch of tents set up year round out in front.The tent your looking at is roomy and is well put together.-Shawn

reba

Post by reba » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I have this tent: "Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Model Tent" 4 man.

It is new, never used, that I would sell for $200 plus shipping.

Please let me know.

Best wishes.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:53 am

My only worry would be the center pole style. If you are fine with that, then I'm sure you'll get many years of good service from this tent. Just don't trip while you're inside. lol
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:15 pm

I decided on the 10 x 10 Outback Lodge...with my points, a gift card, and a promo, I'm getting the tent and a pair of dry plus chaps for under $200.

I'll let you guys know how the tent pans out.

OBTW...if you are looking for chaps, the dry plus are only $29 right now. I like my Filson chaps but couldn't pass up that deal...I have the Dry Plus pants and love em.