Pointer/Beagle Cross Puppy As A Bird Dog???

rkappes

Pointer/Beagle Cross Puppy As A Bird Dog???

Post by rkappes » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:12 am

We're wanting to get a bird dog and want to get it from an animal shelter. They currently have 3 Pointer/Beagle puppies available and we're just wondering if anyone has any experience with a pointer/beagle as a bird hunting dog? We thought they might make a decent hunting dog and its about the size that we're looking for. Here's the link to the puppies. http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=15283074 The info about the dogs says that the mother has a beautiful point, not sure if that really matters but can't be a bad thing. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks much!

Sincerely,

Ryan & Karli

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer/Beagle Cross Puppy As A Bird Dog???

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:24 am

http://www.pointerrescue.org/ Check out Dixie and sweetie pie......

I wouldn't put any weight on the fact the shelter thinks she has a nice point......they may have never seen anything point before.....

Also says mom is a pointer/beagle....there doesn't seem to be any mention of what dad is....could be anything.

I think i would go look at the pointer rescue if your bound and determined to have a shelter/rescue dog......Odds might be better.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Well, they look like beautiful puppies. If you're really wanting something to hunt with, especially a pointing type, I might pass on those. For me, it's hard to see the beagle or the pointer, and a lot of the shelters are really just giving their best guess--unless they have reliable info from the previous owner. So who knows how many other breeds are in the mix, including whatever the sire is. And unless they had the mother pointing birds, she could've just been standing alert on something that caught her eye. I do think it's wonderful that you're looking to rescue a dog and use it for hunting, and there's no doubt that it can be done. I just think you might have better odds for success with a breed rescue or at least a litter with a known heritage or that looks like it's carrying the characteristics of a certain breed (if that makes sense :wink: ) If you were to pick a breed or type of dog, what would you be looking for?

Birddog gave a pointer rescue link, and here's a GSP rescue site. There are many more breed rescues out there, and maybe some will post some links.
http://www.gspca.org/Rescue/index.html

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Looks like some nice prospects for a family/possible hunting dog, on this page.

http://www.pointerrescue.org/dogs/shelters.php
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:52 pm

The problem with a mixed breed is that you have no idea what combination you are looking at.
Is is mostly beagle genes? You'll be hunting rabbits not birds. It will be tracking the ground, not scenting the air.
A mixed breed is a crap shoot if you have a particular purpose in mind.
No info on the sire? Maybe there's coonhound in their somewhere and you will be treeing coons.

Not trying to be a downer, just wanting to give you food for thought.

I have rescued 2 dogs in my time. Both were a horror story and had to be put down at $400.00 a piece. One turned out to be a fear biter ( breeding, poor socialization, abuse) and even muzzled , the vet couldn't get near her. The other was DOMINANT. I had to use leather gloves to the elbows , to get him off the couch. I assumed foolishly that the shelter only allowed acceptable dogs to be adopted. Obviously i was wrong. As soon as they figure out you have experience, the next word is , " Here take this one."

I realize there are folks who got a wonderful pet from the shelter, but once again it's a crap shoot.

I feel badly for the dogs in the shelter , but I now stick to well bred dogs, whose history I know. I give $ to the shelter , but I don't visit the shelter in case my heart over rules my head. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 pm

It's good to be wary of any dog. Shelter dogs are sometimes the result of previous owners not being able to deal with the dog's evil propensities; however, I have never had a serious problem with the seven shelter dogs that I have owned. They were all great pets but they would not have been considered the best hunting dogs.
One of my favorite dogs was my first. He was not a shelter dog but just a free mutt puppy who was the best flushing pheasant, quail and fur dog I have ever owned. I ain't trying to talk you into or out of it but just relize the odds are stacked against you for oustanding performance with a dog of unknown heritage. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the illegitimate mutt -- maybe because I can relate?

nonetheless, the answers you have recieved on this subject are all good advice.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Sent you a private message R & K.......

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Sharon wrote: I have rescued 2 dogs in my time. Both were a horror story and had to be put down at $400.00 a piece. One turned out to be a fear biter ( breeding, poor socialization, abuse) and even muzzled , the vet couldn't get near her. The other was DOMINANT. I had to use leather gloves to the elbows , to get him off the couch. I assumed

I:
It cost you $400 to put a dog down? no way in haites would i pay that

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:36 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Looks like some nice prospects for a family/possible hunting dog, on this page.

http://www.pointerrescue.org/dogs/shelters.php

I saw a few of these that look like they would be pretty nice dogs... I say give one of these a chance at a 2nd life..

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:51 pm

was curious why you'd pay $250.00

think there would be better prospects in your local paper for free

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:07 pm

dudleysmith wrote:
Sharon wrote: I have rescued 2 dogs in my time. Both were a horror story and had to be put down at $400.00 a piece. One turned out to be a fear biter ( breeding, poor socialization, abuse) and even muzzled , the vet couldn't get near her. The other was DOMINANT. I had to use leather gloves to the elbows , to get him off the couch. I assumed

I:
Putting a bullet in a head is not something i can do and i don't dump my dogs in the country like my neighbor, so I have to pay the big bucks. Don't forget, I'm in Canada - everything costs more usually, unless you guys have a recession in which case we get a break on the dollar for a while. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Sharon wrote:
dudleysmith wrote:

I:
Putting a bullet in a head is not something i can do and i don't dump my dogs in the country like my neighbor, so I have to pay the big bucks. Don't forget, I'm in Canada - everything costs more usually, unless you guys have a recession in which case we get a break on the dollar for a while. :wink:

heck in the US my vet will do it for $35.....

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:56 pm

wems2371 wrote:Well, they look like beautiful puppies. If you're really wanting something to hunt with, especially a pointing type, I might pass on those. For me, it's hard to see the beagle or the pointer, and a lot of the shelters are really just giving their best guess--unless they have reliable info from the previous owner. So who knows how many other breeds are in the mix, including whatever the sire is. And unless they had the mother pointing birds, she could've just been standing alert on something that caught her eye. I do think it's wonderful that you're looking to rescue a dog and use it for hunting, and there's no doubt that it can be done. I just think you might have better odds for success with a breed rescue or at least a litter with a known heritage or that looks like it's carrying the characteristics of a certain breed (if that makes sense :wink: ) If you were to pick a breed or type of dog, what would you be looking for?

Birddog gave a pointer rescue link, and here's a GSP rescue site. There are many more breed rescues out there, and maybe some will post some links.
http://www.gspca.org/Rescue/index.html
+1 Very well said.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:13 pm

[Sharon wrote]
Putting a bullet in a head is not something i can do and i don't dump my dogs in the country like my neighbor, so I have to pay the big bucks. Don't forget, I'm in Canada - everything costs more usually, unless you guys have a recession in which case we get a break on the dollar for a while. :wink:[/quote]

I can understand someone not being able to put a bullet in a dog's head. I have done it, and it has never been a pleasant thing to do. One exception to that, was when I shot one in self defense. Dumping a dog in the country or anywhere else is definately wrong. You could usually find somebody to do it for you, if it has to be done. I had no idea, it could cost that much, for a Vet to do it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Welcome to Canada. A good PRo here is $1000. for one month of training.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks everyone for the input, it's all very helpful. Maybe we'll just end up adopting one of the pups from the shelter to have as a companion and then get a hunting dog from a proven breeder. We also called about this ad in the local paper. Below is what the guy had to say. Please let us know what you think. We appreciate all feedback.

German Wirehair Pointer, 2 yrs old. O O O O O O O Fully trained, $50. 701-845-4744
Posted: 12/21/2009 | Published By: inforum.com | Category: DOGS

2 year old male, weighs around 45 lbs, long legs. Not gun shy, good hunter. Great point. Liver/Brown in color. Purebred but no papers. Fixed. Great with kids. Whistle trained. House trained. Doesn’t like water. The dog is in Valley City, ND. I asked why he wants to get rid of him and he said, "He's just not up to my standards as far as a gundog. We hunt hard and a lot and my son is a guide, he use's the dogs alot and needs them on top of there game all the time. Some days he loves to hunt and some days he could care less."

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:10 am

I would be skeptical, nobody sells a fully trained "good " hunting dog for 50 bucks....something fishy there.

Did you get my private message ?

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 am

GWP male that's 45 lbs?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 am

nothing wrong with going over and spending some time with the GWP- would seem to be better than $250.00 - heck- might just be what you are looking for-

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:58 am

Greg Jennings wrote:GWP male that's 45 lbs?
sort of like a Britt that's 47

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:14 am

Shadow---Good idea. What would be things to look for/at with the GWP?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 pm

You want to check, first-hand, on everything that is important to you.

For example:

If the dog is to be a family dog, you'd better check on its temperment and how it has been socialized.

If you want the dog to hunt, you need to see that it meets your expectations as a hunting dog.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Remember also alot of shelters will frown upon hunting as well as some rescue orgs......

Not heard of the pointer rescues being against hunting but some of the lab rescues are that way....silly people.

I have also heard of some rescues and shelters trying to pull bait and switch deals too.....you just want to go in
as prepared as you can and with your eyes WIDE open.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:47 pm

rkappes wrote: " Some days he loves to hunt and some days he could care less."
Other than the price, this is the key sentence for me. How many days could he care less? :)

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

rkappes wrote:
" Some days he loves to hunt and some days he could care less."

Hehe, yes I was a little leary of this as well. Growing up with Brittanys they were always crawling out of their skin to go out and hunt ditch chickens! Do you think this is something that could be worked on with the GWP? The current owner said that he has multiple dogs, and especially likes hunting with one of his Springers, so maybe the GWP just needs more attention? Not sure....let me know what you think. Thanks again for everyones input. Its nice to be a newbie on a forum and made to feel welcome! Thanks again for everything! Ryan

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

It could be that the dog has a chronic injury, has had a run in with foxtail or similar...on the days when he doesn't care to hunt, it's because he's super run down or in pain.

Just make *sure* you're getting what you want.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:58 am

rkappes wrote:Shadow---Good idea. What would be things to look for/at with the GWP?
you had and liked Britt's- I'd look for another

I would call the owner, tell him you are interested and willing to pay, but you'd like to spend some time with the dog- something like- do you have free time where we could get the dog out in the yard see how he is arround me and my wife- pet him and we take him for a walk- see how he acts in our presence- do you have any birds we could see how he does and maybe shoot a gun- see if you can see how the dog is in the house- you said he was fully trained it should be just the dog for us

I think by being realistic and honest and he wants to get rid of the dog he's concerned with someone who would want him and also know exactly what he's getting- you want a freindly socialized dog right- I'd not worry about some days he doesn't want to hunt- that could be anything- maybe so simple as he doesn't have the fire that the guys others do

getting a dog, feeding, shots, and all that for many years is a lot more to think about then just the origianal price