Milage in a day garmin astro?

gspdog

Milage in a day garmin astro?

Post by gspdog » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Just curious what kind of milage you have gotten on a dog in a day of hunting? I think that this is one of the neatest features of the collar. This is something that I always wondered about. I've only used it four times but got 26 miles the other day in nasty chukar country with my ten month old pup. These dogs sure are amazing.

mudhunter

Re: Milage in a day garmin astro?

Post by mudhunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:38 am

I logged 34 miles last week grouse hunting between two dogs.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:41 am

Vern had 35.55 miles in a 3 hour run averaging 11.85 mph. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have belived it, it was in Montana in the plains. Typical is about 22 miles for the dogs in a 3 hour run.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't have one but according to the trainer my wirehair was with he would put on 14-16 miles in about 2 hours. Is this any good? I have no idea of what a wirehair usually does. What does an AKC horseback dog run? I run NSTRA and hunt on foot and this is pretty good for what I do. Also, what kinda range are you looking at with a horseback dog. Again according to the trainer my wire's natural range is about 300 yards at times stretching out to that 600 yard mark. Just curious on what the "big dogs" are running at and how it compairs to my dog. Not saying he's that quality so don't jump my case just wondering here. I have no intentions of doing any horseback stuff.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:31 pm

i ran my female couple days ago guiding and it said 20 miles in a day. i know of one horse back trial dog that a buddy has and she will make a mile cast. but i had that i would run off of foot and he would run over 1,000 yards to the front and he wasnt a run off.
kick'em up knock'em down

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Horseback field trial dogs that are hauling will cover 18 miles in an hour with one of two finds, knowing this, I would say that the top dogs at Ames will do a bit over 35 miles in the full 3 hours, they pace themselves some. That is about 3 times faster than the judges (each course is about 11 miles long) and about twice the speed of the average handler.

8 to 10 mph's is plenty fast for a foot handled hunting dog, any faster and the dog is inclined to run by some birds.

I would not be as concerned how fast your dog is running, but how many birds they are finding you would not without them.

Neil

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 am

Horseback field trial dogs that are hauling will cover 18 miles in an hour with one of two finds
Hmmm, 18mph, have to see that one with my own eyes to believe it - that's carrying the mail. The farthest/fastest I've seen was a dog that hunted what I would characterize as a pretty typical western AA race (we were huntin' on horseback) cover 17.5 miles at a 13mph average with 3 coveys huns and 2 coveys sharpies intermingled on a pretty dang cold, spittin' snow day so conditions were about perfect for it - hard for me to fathom a dog doing it 5mph/38% faster!! I over heard the fellars at the US Chicken Ch. talkin' and say they were seeing about a 11-12mph average - I presume that was out trainin'.

Scoots covered just over 25 miles yesterday at smidge over 10mph in what I would consider easy country.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:10 pm

Hmmm, 18mph, have to see that one with my own eyes to believe it -

Doug,

You can believe it or not, I really don't care, but it is based on fact. I have the Garmin downloads saved in my computer for a pretty common Brittany that routinely covers 16 to 18 miles in an hour here in the mid-South. Going by that, I am guessing that All-Age pointers are faster, they sure look faster when he is braced with them.

Interestingly, he did not cover as much ground in wide open SD/ND, it was closer to 14 mph, I would have thought it would have been the other way around. I do know it takes you longer to get to the dog and complete the bird work.

It is tacky to doubt the truthfulness of someone with your limited experience and inability to properly operate the Garmin,

Neil

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, didn't intend for ya' to take it personal and certainly didn't mean to imply it wasn't fact, just one of those things I'd have to see with my own eyeballs, a generic "see it to believe it", if that makes sense. My apologies if it came across otherwise! :wink: :lol:

Reech

Post by Reech » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:29 pm

I have been running my shorthair on one for 2 years. She runs about 7 mph for the first 2 hrs and then slows down to about 5 mph near the end. I sometime hunt her from 7 am till O'Dark Thirty with an hr and a half for my lunch break. I guess I could condition her to run at 18 mph but I wonder what she would have left in the tank after the first hour. I would probably have to condition myself for that also. AS a foot hunter I am quite happy at her running 20 - 25 miles per hunt

Reech

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:47 am

Neil wrote:Horseback field trial dogs that are hauling will cover 18 miles in an hour with one of two finds, knowing this, I would say that the top dogs at Ames will do a bit over 35 miles in the full 3 hours, they pace themselves some. That is about 3 times faster than the judges (each course is about 11 miles long) and about twice the speed of the average handler.

8 to 10 mph's is plenty fast for a foot handled hunting dog, any faster and the dog is inclined to run by some birds.

I would not be as concerned how fast your dog is running, but how many birds they are finding you would not without them.

Neil
well said- heck- I believe you

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:17 pm

took my gsp out today for 4 hours and she ran 20 miles at a average speed of 6.49 mph
kick'em up knock'em down

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:07 am

been having a good time taking each pup with the parent- male pup was a bit ahead of the female- meaning he was first to pin a rooster
yesterday I loaded the Britt's for a raod trip/hunt- to get them excited you know- drove 1 mile and started out with Shadow and Lizzi- Garmins on in the cut corn field- mile by mile
decided to only shoot if she pinned one- she was out 123 yrds and locked up- Shadow came in and stood right behind her- I stepped in from the side- rooster came up I dropped it- excited she overran it- Shadow retrieved
interesting Garmin track
Shadow- 12.4 miles- 11.21 mph average
Lizzi 10.8 miles- 7.86 mph average
one water break, 4 good points and backs- (well Lizzi isn't perfect but)

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:09 am

I've got a tired Brit today.

She did approx. 12 miles on Sat, 14 miles on Sunday and 9 miles yesterday. None of those were easy miles.

She hunted with other dogs each time. Sat was with one of her brothers and a sister. Sunday was with two brothers. Yesterday was with a pointer and another Brit that belong to a (very nice) guy that has a large place and lots of professionally trained dogs. He takes friends hunting and changes out dogs frequently. He was very kind to not only take me along but to allow me to take my dog.

I believe she learned from his dogs and I know I learned a lot from him.

On Sunday, I put one of my Garmin collars on my dog and the other one on my brother's dog. The cover was high and we spent a fair amount of time looking for the dog that didn't wear a Garmin. It was not uncommon to have one of the other dogs find him when they saw him on point and backed him. His owner remarked that he would be getting a Garmin.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:37 pm

milage in a day.....or milage per hunt?

Mine will run 25 miles in 3 hrs....all day that might be closer to 40 or more.
I generally dont hunt my dogs ALL day so i dont know for sure..............
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm

birddog1968 wrote:milage in a day.....or milage per hunt?

Mine will run 25 miles in 3 hrs....all day that might be closer to 40 or more.
I generally dont hunt my dogs ALL day so i dont know for sure..............
either way- list your dogs distance and average speed and how many points

I went out this morning same field- another interesting track- well- 2 tracks

boone- cracks you up doesn't it- when you slap a couple garmins on yours and the other dog doesn't have one

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Dog in my Avatar has had well over 600 birds shot over him this year.....

Dunno how many per hunt as i don't keep track.

Average speed should be a no brainer, 25 divided by 3.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Dog in my Avatar has had well over 600 birds shot over him this year.....

so you have no points in that 25 miles and he goes at 8.33 mph- or you have 30 points and he goes 8.33

600 birds huh- sure hope it isn't just one state

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:48 pm

I don't have an Astro, but when I was conditioning my dogs for trials they would run 8 miles in 1/2 hour with 10 lbs of chain on. When I turned them loose to hunt they seemed to carry the same pace for close to an hour then would slow down. Never hunted them more than 2 hours at a stretch and they wouldn't hunt as fast on the second 2 hour stint in the day. I will estimate 35 miles in a day of hunting.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:22 pm

It is OK Doug, it really is.

What I meant to say, and thought I did, "A horseback dog really hauling, with only 1 or 2 finds, might be close to 18 mph for an hour", I am guessing. I do know what my Brittany does, and he is some slower than the top All-Age pointers.

I don't know how long it takes Doug to flush his birds, but it takes me an average of just over 4 minutes (if you download the tracks to your computer you can get the average speed, the max, and the time they are on point). So if a dog has a max speed of 20 mph, but has 5 finds and it takes you 15 to 20 minutes to work the finds, he is going to average closer to 12 mph in an hour.

I also said, finding birds is more important than pure speed.

Before the Garmin, I thought my dogs were a lot faster and covered more ground,

Neil

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Neil wrote:It is OK Doug, it really is.

What I meant to say, and thought I did, "A horseback dog really hauling, with only 1 or 2 finds, might be close to 18 mph for an hour", I am guessing. I do know what my Brittany does, and he is some slower than the top All-Age pointers.

I don't know how long it takes Doug to flush his birds, but it takes me an average of just over 4 minutes (if you download the tracks to your computer you can get the average speed, the max, and the time they are on point). So if a dog has a max speed of 20 mph, but has 5 finds and it takes you 15 to 20 minutes to work the finds, he is going to average closer to 12 mph in an hour.

I also said, finding birds is more important than pure speed.

Before the Garmin, I thought my dogs were a lot faster and covered more ground,

Neil
well said again

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:54 pm

Does anyone know or have heard if Garmin is going to upgrade the Astro for next year? I am planning on getting one pretty soon and was wondering if they was gonna make any improvements to it? If so i will wait till then.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Shadow wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Dog in my Avatar has had well over 600 birds shot over him this year.....

so you have no points in that 25 miles and he goes at 8.33 mph- or you have 30 points and he goes 8.33

600 birds huh- sure hope it isn't just one state

In the Dakotas this fall we probably had 8 to 12 points per session.....

Why, would a dog be breaking the law if he had 600 birds shot over him in a season, in one state :?:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:07 pm

birdogg42 wrote:Does anyone know or have heard if Garmin is going to upgrade the Astro for next year? I am planning on getting one pretty soon and was wondering if they was gonna make any improvements to it? If so i will wait till then.
I have a suspicion that there will be an upgrade by next fall. A lot of people are complaining about the collar construction. I would think that Garmin will at least fix that. If you can hold off until next fall, I would.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:41 am

did I say broke the law-

so you shot 600 roosters over your pointer- I'd like to go hunting with you

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:57 am

Shadow wrote:did I say broke the law-

so you shot 600 roosters over your pointer- I'd like to go hunting with you

Didn't say it but you was surely flirtin with it... :)

Spent a wonderful 6 1/2 weeks in the Dakotas this year and (the kicker) I guide on a preserve :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:02 am

just imagine if a lot of folks shot 600 over their dog

heck- sure wouldn't want that in Kansas- wild birds that is

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:00 am

Shadow wrote:just imagine if a lot of folks shot 600 over their dog

heck- sure wouldn't want that in Kansas- wild birds that is

Understood :)

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno