brittany grouse dogs

springpoint

brittany grouse dogs

Post by springpoint » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:06 pm

I've narrowed my search down and i think a brittany is the right dog for us. I'm just wondering what breeders or bloodlines should i look to for in a brittany for grouse hunting.

I'm looking for a dog that is biddable, medium ranging and on the smaller side of the standard also i would want a femle.

any suggestions would be great.

dudleysmith

Re: brittany grouse dogs

Post by dudleysmith » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:37 pm

You were asking about pointers on PDJ just today??

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:05 pm

dudleysmith wrote:You were asking about pointers on PDJ just today??

Sounds like he found some info that made him change his mind maybe.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:07 pm

yeah i'm not on pdj so i have no idea what your talking about.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:12 pm

springpoint wrote:yeah i'm not on pdj so i have no idea what your talking about.

Oh Oh sounds like a case of stolen identity. :roll:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:42 am

I have three french Britts, Had one prior, prior to that had american brits. All good dogs.

I believe that out of the box the French Brit fits Ruff Grouse hunting quicker than many dogs. worked with many GSP's, They just seem to take to it naturally. They vary in range (Breeding thing mostly). (I also have a GSP She is a nice working dog and there are a lot of setters up here and many ESSP.)

I Like Mark Dinsmore (oh mymy ,here on the forum) dogs, Le,Escabot Kennels (Mooneys) in MIN. Patoula Power Kennels (Fred) in GA,( Rolling Hills Prarie kennels (R.L. Dalrymple) in OK. Plum Creek Kennels (Dillons) in SD. Two of mine came from Fred at Pataula Power. One came from Plum Creek, On from here in Maine the base stock was from Willow something kennels. This was Mount Vernons Black Bart, He was a Grouse machine like I have never seen to this day. The others are very good and fun to hunt. I am going by memory on the names of thekennels. (Check out the French Brittany Gun dog website.) Buster from Plum Creek consistantly is pointing birds in trees. Not bumping them into trees but scenting them in the trees. Many times he will be on the tree with his front feet, others looking up into the tree. The other two are fun and doing a good job they each have just hit 2 and 3 years old and truly understand.

I will tell you that French Britts are over priced for the most part. ( I guess that is my opinion and is relative in the price of owning a dog for 14 years. My first was here in Maine for just $350. The others range from $800 to $1500. $800 okay.

There are many hunting american brits for less money. I have a soft head and keep with the french brits, because I have had better luck with them.

If you introduce any dog to the grouse woods early in their life and fashion some of your bird work (once you have the field work done) most dogs will do decently in the grouse woods.

But like I said, I beleive these french brits take to it natrually.

Good luck
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:31 am

If I were looking for a brittany in the grouse woods there is one place I'd go and that's my parents brittanies. Both are trial dogs (male in NSTRA and Gun Dog trials and Female in NSTRA and American Field Amateur Shooting Dog) and both have multiple placements. Both are hunted on grouse extensively and both go back to Nolan's Last Bullet from Beeline Brittanies. They will be bred together this winter. That said I won't do anymore selling here so another brittany I'd look for is a brittany named Wambli. Wambli I believe is a female (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that has proven herself against pointers and setters in the grouse woods on wild bird trials. I have no idea is she will be bred again but her owner is Ken Delong. Here is a link to just one of this dog's accomplishments.

http://www.fosteraward.com/Trial%20Web% ... b_SP06.htm

You can probably find Ken Delong's contact information by asking either here or going the the cover dog message board.

http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/

Good luck with your search. If I didn't love watching setter tails through the grouse woods so much I'd probably choose a brittany. Great grouse dogs.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 am

Lots of good grouse dog lines out there in the world of the American Brittany. Pat Carney, Larry Hilliard, Roger McPherson, Ray Gorman, Andre Coloumbe ( aka MAVERICK on here), Ron Auten, even Les Cassleberry ...all grousewoods folks with good success in the grousewoods with their lineage of dogs. Heck...we even have a grouse dog or two around here :wink:

First you need to decide exactly what you want (which is sounds like you have) next we need to get you hooked up with a breeder or two or three who can answer your questions and then line you up with an available litter.
Where in Michigan are you?

Grouse Dog Guy

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Roger, just bred his grouse champion bitch to one of Ray's, males should be some nice pups! I have seen both of these dogs and they are way better dogs than Wambli!

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Good choice on Brittany for your grouse hunting. I have been really happy with my three.
Look for a hunting line, hopefully someone who has dogs that work grouse. If they are close and can take you
hunting, even better. I'd offer one of my upcoming pups but they will be at the top of standard, 20.5 inches and 38
pounds. You might want to contact Deseeker britts in Nebraska. Doug always has good hunting dogs if he has a litter
on the ground.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Pick the best bred brittany you can from your favorite breeder. Get the dog into birds, that is the only way you are ever going to have a grouse dog.
My last two brittanys came from two entirely different lines and they both do very well in the grouse woods up here in Ontario which has very similar grouse woods to what you have in Michigan.

Mav....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD