SUV big enough? Seeking advice!

djswizz

SUV big enough? Seeking advice!

Post by djswizz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a decent sized SUV (sorry, NO MINIVAN FOR THIS GUY) and the Toyota 4Runner is one vehicle I'm considering. My wife and I are expecting our 1st child in April and I need something that will do the following:

1) Transport baby gear (manly I know)
2) Big enough to put Port-a-Kennel in back (I have the 36 in long one - hard plastic)
3) Off-road capable
4) Decent gas MPG
5) Tow capable

I'm also looking at the Sequoia, Expedition, Escalade, Tahoe, and Yukons, but they are on the bigger side, meaning less MPG.

Question is, does the dog kennel fit in the back of a 4Runner? Any of you have one? I wanted to ask you all before I made the effort to go out and look at the vehicle.

If SUVs don't work, I'll consider trucks next.

kerplunk105

Re: SUV big enough? Seeking advice!

Post by kerplunk105 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I have an 04 Subaru outback that I love. 36" Crate can easily fit in without the seats folded down. My mom has a 2010 Subaru Forester that she loves. That a little on the smaller size though. The Subaru Tribeca can fit a 36" crate also. I dont see why the 4runner wouldnt be able to fit a crate in the back. Maybe take it the crate to the dealer and give it a try?
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

wilsonwires

Post by wilsonwires » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I have driven a 4runner since 1985 and I would not have any other vehicle. It will carry a 36inch crate easily and will haul a 6 hole trailer fully loaded for a week in the Dakotas without any problems. 15mpg towing trailer.
Ron Wilson
Wilson Wirehairs
Dallas, Georgia

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:35 pm

^^ But is that with the 2nd row seating up? I need to have the 2nd row up while the kennel is in the car. Baby and dog need to be able to go together.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Don't underestimate the amount of baby stuff you'll be lugging around :) And what do you intend to tow? When my kids were little, we hauled them and the dogs in a full-sized van and towed a pop-up trialer, or a two horse.
Later when grandkids were coming along, we downsized to a Suburban. It worked great and got better mileage than my son's Cherokee. Towed like a champ, too.
Lately we have a truck, and I don't like it - it's hard to access all the stuff in the bed. My work car is a Trailblazer and I love it, but it only tows like 3600# and it accomodates the crate, but I think stuffing baby items in there as well would not be pretty :lol:

smokin deuces

Post by smokin deuces » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:28 pm

We bought a Saturn Outlook (identical to the GMC Acadia) last year and love it. All seats fold down so tons of room but with just the back row down we can fit two kennels and still have room in the first row for baby and supplies. Not sure the towing capacity right off but it hauls our boat with no problems. Has the space of a minivan but looks way better. I was dead set on a 4runner when we first started looking but more expensive without nearly the room or MPG.
Will and Kathy White

pointerinjeep

Post by pointerinjeep » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Ditto that on the Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia sisters. Had GM built everything this good it would have never gotten in trouble. Gets mid 20's on the highway, filled with enough stuff for a weeks vacation.

Can't beat the 6 year financing and massive discounts either.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:38 pm

You are looking at a SUV, Why not a four door pickup. Ford and Chevys with the 5.4 and 5.3 get 16 to 18 around town, 18 to 20 highway. You have a bed to put stuff in or a cap on Dog boxes, etc.

If you are looking to go off road. What kind of off road, just decent dirt roads? Or Real off road where ground clearance matters? The Four runnerwill work, full size blazer/tahoe. Expedition probably will work.

Good luck with getting what your wife lets you have or you can masterfully manipulate her into thinking she wants what you want. :D :wink: :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm considering a four-door pickup if the SUVs don't meet my criteria. Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming. If you have pictures of kennels and your sport dog in them, please post them. I'm interested in seeing how they fit with kennels, equipment, etc.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Check out the Honda Pilot. My wife has one and LOVES it. I have fit two large crates, 2 car seats and all the assorted stuff a 1800 mile trip with two under 4 requires. Ours is 4 yrs old and still as good as the day we drove off the lot. I have also towed a 18ft boat from KS thru MN,SD,NE and back without any problems. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

h-man64

Post by h-man64 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:50 pm

I have a '97 4-Runner and have a large crate in it right now. I think a 36" will just fit. I bought mine new. It has 137K on it. I have no intention of getting rid of it. Great vehicle.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:33 am

I am liking the reliability ratings on Consumer Reports for the 4Runner and Pilots. I'm going to hit them up and see if it fits what I need in it!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:19 am

I have a 96 4Runner with almost 240,000 miles on it. I can't say enough good things about them. Would buy another in a heartbeat...as a matter of fact, I'm thinking about selling off my big dodge and doing exactly that.

I've never had a problem getting in one crate and all the stuff for my family of 4. Two crates: now that got to be a problem. My suggestion is to take your crate to the 4Runner you're thinking of buying and manually verify that it will fit.

I towed a small dog trailer with mine for years. Other than headed up the mountain just north of Rick and Brenda's, I never knew the trailer was back there.

Mine is 4wd and had a locking differential. It's very off-road capable given the right tires. When I bought mine, most of the 4Runners were being bought by soccer moms and were 2wd. Something else to verify.

Every-day fuel economy on mine is OK, but not fantastic, at 20 mpg. On long, leisurely drives, I have gotten as much as 24 mpg.

Used 4Runners are in high demand. You might have trouble finding one with low miles if you're thinking of buying used.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:36 am

I like the prices on used 4Runners. Good advice there Greg! I've heard nothing but GREAT things on these vehicles. I'm debating though whether it'll be enough room down the road. I eventually want to get another GSP so dual kennels would be good. It's between the 4runner, sequoia, and tundra at this juncture.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:05 am

djswizz wrote:I like the prices on used 4Runners. Good advice there Greg! I've heard nothing but GREAT things on these vehicles. I'm debating though whether it'll be enough room down the road. I eventually want to get another GSP so dual kennels would be good. It's between the 4runner, sequoia, and tundra at this juncture.
Everything is going to be a compromise of some sort.

If you have room to park one a dog trailer, the 4Runner + dog trailer works very well. I kept everything that I needed in the dog trailer and just hooked it up and took off. Very convenient.

When your older dog is still living and still wants to hunt, but you need to be bringing along a young dog, a 4-dog trailer is a very nice thing to have....

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 am

I have am extended version of the Chevy Trailblazer. I fit three varikennel crates and could probably fit a 4th if I don't have any gear to take.

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm

I had a ford bronco that I used to hunt out of . I was in MO. on Quail hunt,two hours before heading back to Eastern Iowa one of the dogs gets sprayed by a skunk!! That was the longest ride home ever and I didn't have a wife and or child along to state there opinions of the skunk smell every 5 minutes either. I had to stop and puke a few times. Ever since it has been a pickup with a cap. I have had a dog get sprayed by skunk since then but the smell was not in drivers compartment .Suv would be great as long as a trailer for dogs were used.
A wet dog has a certain oder to them as well,"per my wife".

texscala

Post by texscala » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 pm

I have an Isuzu trooper and while not the best off road vehicle it gets me to where I want to go, has room for the pup & crate in back, along with all the kid's & wife's stuff. 2 car seats in the middle and me and the wife up front.

I get about 21 MPG, but of coarse that varies when off road a lot. I can also fit an elk in the back with the seats laid down.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm

maybe something like this, should get decent fuel milage too.....

Spark plugs are for sissy's :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrole ... 1c0db09bd8
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:21 am

Chevy Traverse is my vote. Love it, we have three young children and still have room for the 36" dog crate. Nice smooth driving vehicle, I almost like it more than my 02 Avalanche....almost.

pointerinjeep

Post by pointerinjeep » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:47 am

The Traverse is a real winner does everything you need, including all day drives without getting knocked around or tired. The only drawback would be serious towing since its unibody.

Have to hand to GM on that one.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 am

I'm not buying a new car, just an FYI. They are terrible purchases (a car is NOT an investment). Thus, the Traverse = new car = not considering. I like it though but I'm not paying for a new car. Used only. Under 75k miles. Good idea though!

mattj

Post by mattj » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:59 am

You could always throw a Thule on top of the 4runner for some extra storage.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 am

mattj wrote:You could always throw a Thule on top of the 4runner for some extra storage.
Definitely considering that! Thanks.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 am

Hitch-mounted bike rack is a must as well.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:37 pm

We've been pretty happy with our Xtera. Not only do we have the dog & his crate, but there is usually all the stuff associated with helping out at field trials like 6' table, shade canopy, chairs, cooler, etc. When we're not working with him we're dragging around scuba gear (usually 6 tanks) + BC's regs, suits, etc. Or cycling (road or mtn). So we plug in a double bicycle rack in the tow receptacle. (We also have a set that go up on the bars if there are 4 of us.)

Then there's been time when things have overlapped (scuba & dog) so we have found a Thule box on top really adds lots of cargo space.

JMHO,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Kube

Post by Kube » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I have an '03 4runner. I have one dog and a four year old son. I have a cargo area barrier that I picked up at Gander Mountain for about $30. When the family goes on a trip the dog lays on a blanket in the cargo area which leaves about half the space back there for suitcases, or stroller, or whatever. Sometimes I fold down the 60% part of the split back seat and let the dog lay there so that I can fill the back with gear. I also have a roof top bag that is big enough for one of those huge strollers. That's my back up if I ever have too much stuff. When we hunt with three or four people the guns, coats, gear, and dog go in the cargo area. The guns go across the back, the dog gets one side, and the stuff gets the other side. I think there is enough room for your crate, but there won't be as much room for stuff, still some though. I've seen some narrow crates made for SUV's that I'll consider if I get another dog. I get about 17mpg, but I have the V8 with full time 4 wheel drive. I've read that the V6 does well and gets 20mpg or better. The V8 is great for towing. The 4Runner has some of the best safety ratings out there too. I'm happy with it. Hope this helps.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:10 pm

djswizz,

We started with a compact wagon, and moved on to a full size station wagon, a full size Jeep Wagoneer, an Astro van, a 6.2L diesel Suburban 4x4 (20 mpg - highway) and then a 5.7L gas Suburban 4x4 (18 mpg highway). I was never very happy with space until I got to the Suburbans. Now I can carry 3-4 dog crates, four hunters and gear. I prefer a hitch hauler with a lockable box if I need extra space as it doesn't have any drag like rooftop storage does. I've also had custom receivers added to the front of a vehicle so I can tow behind and carry a rack in front if I want. In an SUV dog smells like wet fur, intestinal gas & skunk odor can be obnoxious on the other hand the dogs get a controlled climate when the SUV is running. This is especially nice when hunting in very cold or very warm weather.

I just couldn't stand the compromises. So my daily driver is a high mpg car & the SUVs last a long time with mostly highway miles on them. I almost always buy used & I do most car maintenance & repair myself. Price wise my latest acquisition a couple of months ago was a 1997 Suburban, 132,000 miles, 75% tread, lightly worn leather interior, rear heat, rear air, slight rust on the very bottom edge of three doors but looks show room from a distance - $1,500. I replaced a u-joint, cleaned a corroded wheel sensor, replaced two O2 sensors with bad heaters, changed the serpentine belt and the oil. I've driven 4,000 trouble free miles. If you're not a back yard mechanic though I understand you have a different set of parameters for your decision.

With the direction you're headed you will always feel a bit crowded for space but it sounds like you already know what you need to get.

Good luck!
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Mark, While I will hate to admit this as I am a die hard Ford truck guy, my mother has a Suburban, and I have used it many times including a trip to Florida, in my opinion there is nothing as convenient, and usable as a Suburban, they get decent gas mileage, haul a ton of cargo, look good doing it and seem to last a good while, a bit pricey sure, but man the options and room is second to none, and for the gas mileage probably nothing beats them in there class. I may have a bitter bite to take on the next purchase, it may have to be a Suburban.

Chip

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 am

in case you're curious- because of these sand roads and they get wet and slippery- I bought an 08 Ford Escape AWD- have my dog box that fit in my SW fits nicely and my 2 adult Britt's and also the pups can ride in comfort- with the back seat up- just filled up yesterday as this was the 3rd time I've filled- I do drive sort of easy- took 13.1 gallons in 357 miles

chicago0517

Post by chicago0517 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 pm

I have an 03 4Runner, two kids, two dogs and a wife. I have the largest Thule cargo box for the top when I need the extra room, and I'm sure will pick up a hitch rack sometime soon. Check Craigslist for the cargo boxes, but they can go quickly. Depending on where you are, REI has a big sale once a year for members and you could get one 20 percent off.

The intermediate kennels fit side by side when the rear seats are up, and if I fold them down I can get four intermediate kennels inside. I pulled my dad's motorcycle from Nebraska with no issues. Mine's a V8.

It's been a good car. Bought it with 80K on it and now have almost 120K. 4Runners are the official SUV of Colorado and it's unlikely they'll ever let you down. They hold their value, almost too much, so new vs. used should be looked at hard. Check Texas, they don't have the same demand.

Mine is full time 4WD. I spun out in the mountains really bad and was freaked out enough to want that feature. It's probably overkill for most folks, including me.

In any case, they're great family and dog vehicles. The roll-down back window itself is worth gold, however they do have issues with their moon roofs, and it's really pricey to fix them if that goes.

I'd probably rather have a new Taco, but considering this one is paid off and basically bullet proof I'm sure it'll be around until the 200K mark.

good luck

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:50 am

Awesome review chicago. I'm looking at them today, bringing the kennel. The Tahoe is bigger, but bad on gas and not as bulletproof. I'm also not a fan of Chevy. Toyota and Honda have NEVER let me down. I'm considering everyone's reviews though.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:20 pm

djswizz wrote:I'm not buying a new car, just an FYI. They are terrible purchases (a car is NOT an investment). Thus, the Traverse = new car = not considering. I like it though but I'm not paying for a new car. Used only. Under 75k miles. Good idea though!
Traverse is a great vehicle. It has more room than other cross-overs in its class. You can put 2 intermediate size kennels side by side in the back, and still have plenty of room for gear. Fuel economy is great as well. If you don't want to buy new, look for a used GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook. It's the same vehicle, but they came out a year earlier, so there are used ones out there.

I drove took an Acadia to MT on a hunting trip. It was AWD, and had 19" wheels, so I could take it off road if I needed to. I averaged 23 mpg highway on that trip.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Anyone have any pros/cons on a Toyota Tundra? Still searching for a vehicle...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 pm

I know a couple of years ago I was at Bass Pro up in Denver and they had the Tundras there with a mock off road course and another one with a 10,000 lb. trailer hooked up to it so you could feel the pulling power. I drove both and absolutely love the Tundra but just cannot afford one right now. They are fantastic pickups.

I did not read all the posts so I am not sure if it has been mentioned but my wife and I have been talking about purchasing a Jeep Patriot in the near future. It is off road capable, appears to have plenty of cargo room and is supposed to get 25 MPG on the highway and comes in your choice of 4 or 6 cylinder and according to the Jeep website prices between 18 and 25 grand new which is a respectable price for SUV's right now. Even if you went with a 4 cylinder Jeep has built a decent 4 banger for years now. Seemed pretty nice on the inside from what I could see on Jeep's website as well.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:46 am

TUNDRA= empty wallet. Poor fuel milage. Definately Toyota.
I got to tell ya; I have never liked my 03 Chevy silvarado, hurts my hip and knee on long trips, but 265,000,000 still does not burn a drop of oil, I have a slight oil leak and my torque converter may not make the winter. Good ride, good fuel milage 16 to 18 with 600 pound in the back all the time, quiet, ( no foot room, low to the ground, ugly, Have had work on transmission once, rebuilt transfer case once, one fuel pump,front axle once, I plow with this half ton truck and truly beat on it.) It just keeps going. (Good motor and gear ratio 5.3 motor, 3:73 gears,)

I like the 09 Chevy less even more ugly IMHO. But better fuel milage.

I have been looking for a repalcement my self. Can't see paying 36,0000 for any vehicle. Even the used ones are in the mid to high twenties. Thank you Obama motors. Since the money and those deals prices have jumped.

I am considering an 06 (before the new design) GMC. If I can find one under $20,000.00

I actually am a dodge man I have a 2WD, 05, had all 4WD prior. But they are noisy, poor milage, worse ride, Don't like the rear end. (may have changed).

Good luck.

Rick

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:24 am

I'm sticking with the Toyota. But I'm wondering about putting a dog in the bag for long trips in the cold or heat with a truck cap. That is my only concern. And accessibility of the gear in a bed with a cap.

jczv

Post by jczv » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 am

A little feedback on the tundra. I bought a 2007 4WD Crewmax with the larger V8 last year when gas was $4 a gallon (so I got it cheap). I was looking at F-150's, rams and Tundras with 4WD, and an engine that can haul stuff - this was the first good deal to come along (craigslist).

Good: Engine, brakes, hauling ability, towing, ride
Bad: gas mileage (about 16 - I've never owned a vehicle before that I didn't get the highway mileage as an average before this truck), fit and finish (a little sloppily put together), cheap options (radio is crappy), oem tires were crappy.

I'm happy with the truck but I'd stay away from the 2007 (first year of the new model) as Toyota seems to have the old GM first model year issue. What I've heard is they improved the fit/finish after 2007. I'd also take a look at the tires because your going to be in snow or on slippery muddy roads the 'street' deulers are almost like slicks. I just got a set of deuler a/t's and it's made a gigantic difference with how the truck handles snow.

If your going to ever haul your mutts inside the cab the regular 4 door makes a little more sense then the crewmax (the seats on the 4 day fold up against the back - the crewmax they fold down).

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:34 am

I'm thinking 05 and 06 year models as I've heard they had issues with the new 07 model year. And yes, I'm looking for crew-cab due to baby on the way... Need room for the kiddos in the back and dog in the bed.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 am

I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 last winter due to the other truck taking a crap on me. I have the 5.7 Hemi engine and LOVE it. It has plenty of power to pull a large horse trailer (4 horse) with 2 horses in (that's all we have.) There are plenty of caps for the back made by lots of different companies like Leer that will do custom type stuff. When I was looking, I could only afford Dodge...Ford was about $3000 more and GMC/Chevy were about $6000 more at least for the same year/body/mileage. MPG isn't incredible but the convenience of a truck is something I will never live without. I have the 4-door and it is awesome for having stuff and kid(s).

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 am

Dizz.
to put the dogs in the back, build a platform on the supports in the back to give storage underneath and set the crates on top of the platform. Buy a cap that the sides open also. If you use the plastic crates you can get kennel covers to help keep them warmer. Make sure you make provisions to tie down the crates so they do not slide around.

Rick

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:16 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Dizz.
to put the dogs in the back, build a platform on the supports in the back to give storage underneath and set the crates on top of the platform. Buy a cap that the sides open also. If you use the plastic crates you can get kennel covers to help keep them warmer. Make sure you make provisions to tie down the crates so they do not slide around.
Good idea! Any pictures of this set up so I know what I'm going to be looking to build?!?!

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 am

Gas shmas...get an expdition. They are safe and you have all kinds of room. Your going to be shocked at how much stuff you need with the baby. Even with an SUV of this size we are stuffed to the brim on vacation.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:27 am

djswizz wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Dizz.
Good idea! Any pictures of this set up so I know what I'm going to be looking to build?!?!
Just turn some 2x6's on edge long ways in the bed and cover with 1/2" plywood. You can make "drawers" to go in the spaces between the 2x6's.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14 am

Liking that idea Greg. Thanks for this...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am

Suggestions:

1. Prototype first.
2. Use wood screws.
3. Leave the "nooks" in front and behind the wheel well for things that naturally fit there.
4. When you put in the drawers, put a stop behind it. 2x4" scrap screwed from each side worked for me.
5. Cut another 2x6 that's the width of the bed so that it will jam behind the rear wheel well bulge to make a place for the groceries, etc. so that they don't slide all the way to the front.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Here is my rig now.
And my other truck with with a double wooden dog box set on the 2X4 and 3/4" platform. (I would have a photo but the wife still has a those darn recycleabels bottles in the truck. I hate recylcing, it is just hoarding trash.!!!!! (sorry venting, I was going to take aphoto for you but she has messed me up for two weeks.)
Before that I had put a plat form on the loading rests over the fenders and had eye bolts to tie down the crates, I also screwe in an up kick support to keep the plat form in place.Image

Rick

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

18-19mpg, lots of room.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am

Another option: Thule box (or similar) for on top of the vehicle.

As I mentioned previously, we have a Nissan Xtera. There are times when we are hauling around scuba equipment, mountain or road bicycles AND the dog. So we have a Thule box that we put up top that handles a lot of stuff that we would otherwise wind up putting either in the backseat or the cargo area.

Just a thought,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!