MOTHER HUNTING VESTS

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

MOTHER HUNTING VESTS

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 am

Well, I just got off the phone with Marty at Mother and it seems he talked me into ordering a Mother Day Pack, so I will get into it here on the Kansas trip and give you all my review of it. It is my understanding that they made a few changes to that vest last year, they made the front pockets bigger and the gamebag more expandable, I am guessing for easier game loading. The one bummer is they were out of Hydration packs, anyone have a good source for that?

Heres a link to the Day Pack
http://www.mothertech.net/hunt_day.html

Thanks,
Chip

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: MOTHER HUNTING VESTS

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 am

One other question to you who do have the Bladders, any preference to the Camelbak's vs the Platypus?

Thanks,
Chip

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 am

Chip, I haven't had a chance to wear mine more than 2x so far, so I can't give much of a review yet. Didn't do a lot of research before purchase, as I found it for $29 on a clearance rack a month ago, and ran to the register with it. :mrgreen: When I wore it, it was very comfortable for many hours, and I had it loaded pretty good with training gear. Didn't have the previous model, but pockets seem nice sized. No biggie, but wish the forward two were just a little bit more to the front, as a personal preference. I think I keep discovering new compartments every time I get it out. :lol: And there are a lot of adjustable straps to get a perfect fit. Didn't notice before, but now as I'm looking at it, I see the top orange buckle on the front has a built in whistle. Not that I needed that, but I'm wondering what else I haven't noticed? :lol: Got an inexpensive camelback, but haven't used it yet. That's about as unhelpful as I can get! :D Denise

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 am

Thats the one thing that sold me on them, was how adjustable and comfortable everyone kept talking about. I know the one knock was they were hard to load birds into and the front pockets were a bit small, so I am hoping that with the redesign last year that has helped quite a bit. I went to Richards sporting goods over lunch and would'nt you know they had both the camelbak and the platypus bladders, I went with the platy bladder, looked as if it would be easier to clean, they were both the same size, so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the info Denise.

Chip

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:45 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Thats the one thing that sold me on them, was how adjustable and comfortable everyone kept talking about. I know the one knock was they were hard to load birds into and the front pockets were a bit small, so I am hoping that with the redesign last year that has helped quite a bit. I went to Richards sporting goods over lunch and would'nt you know they had both the camelbak and the platypus bladders, I went with the platy bladder, looked as if it would be easier to clean, they were both the same size, so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the info Denise.

Chip

"Richards" Sporting Goods, it took me a second to figure that one out. That is Priceless! :lol: I have the camel and it works great for watering me AND the dog if I need it.

P.S. I loved the text you sent me today with my son pictured! :lol: Where did you find him? :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Figured you would like that... :lol:
"Richards Sporting Goods" Had to come up with something due to the board censoring......I was curious how the Bladders would work with the dogs.

Thanks.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:11 pm

You need to arch your back to put pressure on the pack and simply put your mouth piece in the dogs mouth. Works great!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Why do you people hydrate your dogs in the field? I find they return & load in the truck a lot faster when they're looking for water! :P
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:59 pm

lvrgsp wrote:One other question to you who do have the Bladders, any preference to the Camelbak's vs the Platypus?

Thanks,
Chip
I don't know anything about the Platypus, but I'm a big camelbak fan myself.
Check out their durability testing: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 063&ref=mf

I've tried some of the cheaper knock-offs and the water either tasted bad, or I didn't like the way they functioned.
Just added a camelbak "unbottle" bladder to my wingworks vest for those outings when I'm running multiple dogs.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 am

BDBUzi wrote:
lvrgsp wrote:One other question to you who do have the Bladders, any preference to the Camelbak's vs the Platypus?

Thanks,
Chip
I don't know anything about the Platypus, but I'm a big camelbak fan myself.
Check out their durability testing: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 063&ref=mf

I've tried some of the cheaper knock-offs and the water either tasted bad, or I didn't like the way they functioned.
Just added a camelbak "unbottle" bladder to my wingworks vest for those outings when I'm running multiple dogs.
Another vote for Camelbacks. They are the standard by which all other hydration packs are measured. You can get them in a wide variety of styles & sizes, too. Ours are about 10 years old & still going strong!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:14 am

BigShooter wrote:Why do you people hydrate your dogs in the field? I find they return & load in the truck a lot faster when they're looking for water! :P
Down here in the South it's just too hot NOT to have water available for the dogs, whether they be out hunting, field trialing, whatever. Don't forget they're working a hot harder than YOU out there!
=SubMariner=

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks for the info all, no doubt the Camels are a proven bladder, I'll give this Platy a try and see how it works out. One thing I did see that I liked in the platy was the material is made out of antimicrobial and slime free material, whatever thats worth to ya, with no residual taste. Tried her out last night and so far it seeems like it will work for me.
Platy Hoser Link
http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hand ... er/product

Thanks,
Chip

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 am

SubMariner wrote:
BigShooter wrote:Why do you people hydrate your dogs in the field? I find they return & load in the truck a lot faster when they're looking for water! :P
Down here in the South it's just too hot NOT to have water available for the dogs, whether they be out hunting, field trialing, whatever. Don't forget they're working a hot harder than YOU out there!

We are careful about keeping our dogs hydrated too. The :P symbol means to razz, tease or kid. :wink: Obviously we'd like our dogs to not suffer heat exhaustion and make it back to the truck in good shape.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

BigShooter wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

We are careful about keeping our dogs hydrated too. The :P symbol means to razz, tease or kid. :wink: Obviously we'd like our dogs to not suffer heat exhaustion and make it back to the truck in good shape.
My apolgies... I didn't see the smilie.

Mea culpa,
=SubMariner=

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Personally I'm not a fan. I do have an older model, so hopefully they have improved on things. First off the padded straps drive me nuts. Not being the broadest shouldered guy around, it interferes with gun mount. Secondly the shell pockets are a bit too small, not that they don't hold enough shells but they are hard to get at when it counts. Lastly, birds are hard to get into the bag, and I've lost a couple out of the bag. The fit is great, carries like nothing and is comfortable all day, so that's a plus. It also has quite a bit of storage for "whatever" you may need.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:59 pm

Muddy,
That's exactly what I heard as well, apparently so did the folks at Mother, and they made the changes to the bigger game bag and bigger front shell pockets, mine should be here by Monday or Tuesday, so we'll see how it's gonna work. Thanks for the info..

Chip

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 pm

experience: i have a platypus bladder, it has worked for nearly 10yrs. used it first for backpacking and mtn biking and have recently been using it for hunting, durable to say the least, i have only had to change the mouth piece one time.

non experience: heard the magnetic way of keeping the pockets closed creates interference with the garmin astro compass.

Reech

Post by Reech » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 am

natetnc wrote:non experience: heard the magnetic way of keeping the pockets closed creates interference with the garmin astro compass.
This is very interesting....

Sorry to take the thread off topic

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 am

Thats some good information to pass on to Garmin users, or anyone that may carry a compass in there pocket, I'll try and remember that.
Thanks for passing that on.

Chip
Last edited by lvrgsp on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:46 pm

how many pockets are on the vest and does anyone have a front view pick of the vest? what dont you like about it?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Chip asked for a few pics, so here's a go. My husband took the pics of me, and should've fixed me up a little, being it was a little crooked and all..... :roll: The front pic doesn't have a lot to show, because as I said in a previous post, the pockets tend to be more on my sides. Mine is a Small, which is surely a man's small I'm guessing. I'm 5'9 and 150 lbs, and I've got a lot of leftover straps. I don't think they make a smaller size, but I couldn't beat the price I got on this one. Why I mention the location of the front orange pockets, is because they are stitched about 2" forward from the back of the vest. All of the waist adjustments are made at the front buckles. I think if I were to redesign the vest, I would make the pockets movable, so that they could be slid more forward if desired and maybe snapped into place. Both orange pockets, have a slide in pocket behind them, a magnet enclosure, and then a zipper when you lift the flap. The left pocket has a little D ring inside. The right pocket has a zippered mesh pocket inside. Game bag has lots of adjustments to let out, which I haven't done yet. It seems roomy enough, but then I haven't gotten the chance to put any birds in it yet...just training stuff. Where you see mesh on the backside, there is a cell phone size mesh pocket and then a larger pocket (similar in size to the orange ones) next to it. I haven't put the hydration bladder in yet. Appears to be very well made, as in good stitching, fabric, etc. Not the best pics, but hope that helps a little.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Ah.....thank you Mrs. Denise I appreciate it.
I see what your saying about the front pockets. I think they made that change with the newer model as well as made them larger and the gamebag bigger....I'll model the new one for ya when I get it.....
Thank you,
Chip

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:08 pm

So are you thinking I have the previous model? I didn't keep the tags, but it sure looks like the website linked one.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Yes I would say it is the previous model. I'll send you pics of mine when I get it, we can compare vests.... :wink: :lol:

chip

Highland Gundogs

Post by Highland Gundogs » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Wems, you have the previous years model, same as I have, a great pack, but larger pouches would certainly be helpful IMO.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Have you tried shooting with it yet? An older pack I had, had the "back-pak" straps and when shouldering the gun was not as consistent. Probably should have shot some clays with it to get used to it. Or there is a good possibility that I'm not the best shot either. :lol: Ended up going back to vest style. Just never got comfortable with quick shooting situations. Mind you this was before I had a hunting dog.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Well, dang--now I was no help at all. :oops: Guess I can't see what you guys are seeing differently. Chip, you are going to have to model yours for me, so I can see what I'm missing (in a vest I mean :D ).

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:46 am

Pretty sure that is the current model. The previous model was blaze/brown color.

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:49 am