nstra what is it about

sjkennels

nstra what is it about

Post by sjkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 am

i was wondering what nstra was all about. i am having my short hair sent off to get finished up. and was thinking about running her in some nstra events. i was trying to get into ft. and all but the thing is there. all you do is fire a blank pistol. i would rather shoot birds over my dog. instead of just firing a blank pistol. and i have never been to a nstra event. so i was wondering if you guys. could give me some info on it. and all what it contains to. and what all the dog needs to be trained to do. thanks for any infomation you can tell me.

i should add to this the reason. i was asking about nstra. is that the dog will get to see a bird bein shot. and not just shooting a blank pistol. and the dog always seeing the bird flying away. seems more of a hunting sitiation. than with a blank pistol. but with me shooting. i cant hit the side a barn. half the time.
kick'em up knock'em down

ymepointer

Re: nstra what is it about

Post by ymepointer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 am

Sounds like it would be just what you are looking for. Go here and all your answers will be ...well answered :lol:

http://www.nstra.org/

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 am

I know this does not relate to NSTRA, but why do you use periods (.) in the middle of your sentences?

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am

OK i will do that. im tryin to see what other people like about it. and think about nstra.
kick'em up knock'em down

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 am

NSTRA is more about the hunting dog...any trial venue has it's faults and can only mimic certain things but NSTRA the dog has to handle the area allowed to be worked which is 30 -5- acres the dog has to point the birds at minimum to flush which the better trained the higher the score will be as teh dog will look better as birds are flushed. The dog has to retrieve to hand each piece of work is scored so at the end of the brace you know where you stand compared to the other dogs that are running and see area where you can work and improve. You are handling off foot ...
Best thing is look at the above link and find a trial near you and go watch also check out AKC and American Field Trials and the hunting tournaments also ...they all have their good points and not so good..they all require training to the what That venue requires so a dog broke to AKC generally will not be broke to NSTRA ...Definition of Broke for me is a dog trained to do what YOU enjoy and want to succeed at and pass or score the judging that is required for the venue YOU choose to win :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:57 am

GSPVIZ wrote:I know this does not relate to NSTRA, but why do you use periods (.) in the middle of your sentences?
I have been laughing about this for sometime... Welcome to my enjoyment
KN

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 am

He uses periods because he's not sure how to make a proper sentence, like thousands of others in this country. Why don't we make fun of him ? :roll:
Others have a hard time with spelling here. I teach literacy to folks with learning disabilities in this area. I don't see anything funny about it.
I've never tolerated a bully and I never will.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:17 am

I agree Sharon nothing funny about it.I did very well in school use to think I spelled pretty well but after a mini stroke about 5 yrs ago there are times I can't even spell I.I can spell words correctly once & in the same sentence spell it incorrectly,can be frustrating at times & not funny to me at all. :(

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:22 am

i dont see what spelling has to do with bird dogs and wanting to know about nstra but at least there are a few people that dont find it that big of deal unlike some other people we need to make up a fourm for people to make fun of other people on here "bleep" that would be the most used place on here with people like them i had enough of that in school and i dont need that on here if you dont have anything to say about the subject then dont post anything
kick'em up knock'em down

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:30 am

vzkennels wrote:I agree Sharon nothing funny about it.I did very well in school use to think I spelled pretty well but after a mini stroke about 5 yrs ago there are times I can't even spell I.I can spell words correctly once & in the same sentence spell it incorrectly,can be frustrating at times & not funny to me at all. :(
i know what you mean my 86 year old grandpa had a stroke last year and can barley talk any more or get around two years ago he use to be able to keep up with me bird hunting and we would walk 10 or 12 fields a day and now he cant walk ten feet with out sitting down and resting
kick'em up knock'em down

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:37 am

SJ, sorry that you took it that way. I was not making fun, I was actually thinking that you used another word processing program to type and then tried to paste it into the post and the characters didn't come through properly.

Again, sorry for the confusion and I was definitely not making fun.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:42 am

Have you looked up that NASTRA link someone posted above yet SJ ?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:42 am

sjkennels wrote:i dont see what spelling has to do with bird dogs and wanting to know about nstra but at least there are a few people that dont find it that big of deal unlike some other people we need to make up a fourm for people to make fun of other people on here "bleep" that would be the most used place on here with people like them i had enough of that in school and i dont need that on here if you dont have anything to say about the subject then dont post anything
Though we are no a school class we are trying to read your posts so we can answer your questions. When the spelling or sentence structure gets too bad it becomes difficult to understand what you are saying or asking. We do have an abundance of people who either can't or more likely don't try to write intelligently and the only thing it hurts is there will be more misunderstanding of what you want to know. It's kind of like speaking Spanish when everyone else understands English. I hope you will make an effort to be as clear as you can when posting. I know I don't always take the time to check my posts and then when I read them I just shake my head and have to go back and try to correct them so everyone will know what I am saying.

I agree there is no need to make fun of someone and I haven't seen that happen. And I see no big problem with someone asking why or trying to help you be clearer with your posts. It makes a lot more difference to you than it does to the rest of us if we can't read your post clearly.

Everyone take a deep breath and make an effort to do the best you can and I think we will all get along ok.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:54 am

SJK,

You are in the middle of a bunch of trials and NSTRA people. You will find the schedule and contact information on the website. Just go here:

www.mokanregion.netkennel.com

Check one out.
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:16 pm

kylenicholas02 wrote:
GSPVIZ wrote:I know this does not relate to NSTRA, but why do you use periods (.) in the middle of your sentences?
I tell you what gspviz read what you said and see if it sounds like you are making fun of me it must sound like it because there was other people that said the same thing and ezzy333 i dont think i have posted anything that no one could understand enough to not respond to and sharon no i havent been able to look at the website yet i will when i get off work so i can sit down and read it and it doesnt look like it matters here only a couple of people have said anything about nastra everybody else have had something to say about my spelling
kick'em up knock'em down

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:07 pm

sjkennels wrote:
kylenicholas02 wrote:
I tell you what gspviz read what you said and see if it sounds like you are making fun of me it must sound like it because there was other people that said the same thing and ezzy333 i dont think i have posted anything that no one could understand enough to not respond to and sharon no i havent been able to look at the website yet i will when i get off work so i can sit down and read it and it doesnt look like it matters here only a couple of people have said anything about nastra everybody else have had something to say about my spelling
Let me ask, are you saying: Ill tell you what,Gspviz, I read what you said
or: I'll tell you what Gspvciz read you said

But far be it from me to try and explain how confusing it gets so in the future if someone tries to help make sure you answer with a paragraph without a single punctuation mark just to proof your point.

Now I am making fun. :lol: :lol:

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote: Let me ask, are you saying: Ill tell you what,Gspviz, I read what you said
or: I'll tell you what Gspvciz read you said

But far be it from me to try and explain how confusing it gets so in the future if someone tries to help make sure you answer with a paragraph without a single punctuation mark just to proof your point.

Now I am making fun. :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
Now Ezzy, if we are going to get technical here were you saying you wanted to proof, as in proof read, his point. Or did you mean someone would try to prove his point?? I hate when someone has a mistake when pointing out someone else's mistake.

Thanks
Jeff

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Mercy.

O-kay SJ. One remark was made that shouldn't have been . I came to your defense because I have a soft spot for that kind of thing. Ezzy was trying to be helpful.
The subject is over.
Read the link and ask questions about NASTRA and let's get on with it. O-kay?

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:03 pm

im not going to even try to put punctuation in here because apparently it doesn't matter that i try and make it correct or not

thank you sharon but all i said to ezzy333 is i don't think i have posted anything that no one could not understand enough to not respond to there isnt anything negative about that if there is im sorry i didn't mean it to be negative in anyway so sorry about that ezzy that you took it the wrong way

and i agree sharon the topic does not say lets judge me on spelling and punctuation it says NSTRA WHAT IS IT ABOUT and when i wrote that this morning i thought i would have got all of you good people thoughts about it if i knew this was gonna happen i would not have posted anything so can we get on with the subject please
kick'em up knock'em down

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:34 pm

NSTRA - Here is a link on 'How It All Began". http://www.nstra.org/history.htm

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:03 pm

SJ-
No need to get offended, although it is hard to understand you when punctuation, grammar, and spelling isn't correct. I have personally had trouble following your post's and it has kept me from replying with, what would hopefully be, good information. Something to keep in mind. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:48 pm

I entered a dog for my first time in a NSTRA trial a couple of weeks ago. I had a blast and everybody was friendly and helpful. They made me feel comfortable and welcome.

It is pretty much a hunting scenario, but there is a 30 minute time limit. I explained to the judges that I was new at this, and they did a good job of explaining the rules and boundries. You have to try and keep your dog in bounds. They were also helpful in the field, by advising me on what I could and could not do.

The first thing to do is to read the info on the link that was posted. Then I would suggest attending and observing a trial. You will meet alot of good people who will answer any questions you have.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 pm

The closest walking trial I know of to you would be Havensville Ks on Nov 7-8th, dont knock it till you've tried it. I will be there and there is a good bunch of guys there. I encourage you to come, you never know we might even be able to get a horse for you to ride. If you have any questions about it give me a call. Good Luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 pm

It's a lot of fun, go watch and give it a go!
brenda

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm

SJ,

Give me a call and I'll do my best to fill you in. I've been to several and this may be a good direction for you to go.

Nitrex

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:36 am

Maybe I missed it.
How are unproductives scored?

adogslife

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 am

Unproductives are not scored..You have to have a bird.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:07 am

sjkennels wrote:im not going to even try to put punctuation in here because apparently it doesn't matter that i try and make it correct or not

thank you sharon but all i said to ezzy333 is i don't think i have posted anything that no one could not understand enough to not respond to there isnt anything negative about that if there is im sorry i didn't mean it to be negative in anyway so sorry about that ezzy that you took it the wrong way

and i agree sharon the topic does not say lets judge me on spelling and punctuation it says NSTRA WHAT IS IT ABOUT and when i wrote that this morning i thought i would have got all of you good people thoughts about it if i knew this was gonna happen i would not have posted anything so can we get on with the subject please

I didn't take anything negative and sorry that my trying to help was hurtful but I have had the same problem Topher has had, and like him when you aren't sure just what you are saying it is hard to reply. So lets drop it and start over and you can post however you want. And I and everyone else will be willing to help if we understand for sure what you are wanting.

Have a good one,

Ezzy

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:44 am

sjkennels,

I started running in NSTRA about 5 or 6 years ago. The people are nice everywhere i go to a NSTRA trial. I have enjoyed myself at just about every event i was involved in. I too still wanted too shoot a shotgun at a bird, even if it was a tame bird. I shoot a 20 gauge which makes it a little more challenging. The nstra website will give you in depth about how it works.
I'll try to give you a quick snapshot of how it works.

Roughly, 30 acre field, they put 6 birds out the 1st brace. The next 15 braces, they put 5 birds out every brace. They hide you and your dog (along with the other person and dog you are running against) in a blind where you can't see where the bird planter goes. Then, they will have one judge on a 4 wheeler, follow your dog. There will be another judge on a 4-wheeler following the other dog in your brace that you are competing against. They give you 30 minutes to find whatever birds are on the field. The judge scores your dog on his/her finds, the retreives, handling, ground coverage, and your dog will get once chance to honor or back "if given the chance".

Then, they will total up your score. At the end of the day, the dog with the highest score will be 1st place, the second highest score will be 2nd place, 3rd highest will be 3rd place.

That's about as quick as i can explain it. i hope this helps you in some way. I'd say go to one and watch, if you think you would like to give it a try, try it. Biggest thing is safety. You just have to be careful shooting around your dog with those tame birds. You have to watch to see where the other guy is and judge is in the field before you flush your bird to shoot.

Good luck.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:28 am

Does the planter use a 4 wheeler?
If your dog is smart,and they all are, I would guess they pick up on this and road all the way to the birds?

adogslife

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:28 pm

They do use 4-wheelers. Some dogs figure out to track a 4-wheeler and some do not (imo). But, you have to remember, the judges are both using 4 wheelers, and the bird planter is planting every brace on a 4-wheeler. So, a lot of 4-wheeler tracks out there. Some folks say they can track them and some say they can't. I have seen dogs that are weaving in and around where the 4 wheeler's been. But, if the other dog finds a bird in front of that "tracking" dog, it doesn't quite work out the way you think it would. One things for sure, you know what you got when you take them bird hunting. They can't track a 4-wheeler there. If you got one that wins in NSTRA and they can find wild birds, that's a good deal.
Oh yeah, they aren't all smart, no matter what the owners may think.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:58 pm

adogslife wrote:Does the planter use a 4 wheeler?
If your dog is smart,and they all are, I would guess they pick up on this and road all the way to the birds?

adogslife
Well they leave the same scent trail as a person releasing birds off horseback

Smart dogs are going to find out where the birds are and the best chances at those birds from running gallery lines and out croppings to where the horse rider had ridden up in the trees line a bit to release..to the 4 wheeler tracks...or as a trainer walking birds out in to the field for training...They have noses which are supposed to be acute and no matter how tricky we humans think we are a dog that learns to use that nose gloves and fancy bird bags do nothing to cloud a smart dogs nose :wink:
there is no perfect way to artificially set up a trial period end of sentence no matter what format one runs a smart dog will do better then one that runs clueless..if it was that easy there would be a lot of 2030 plus champions in NSTRA or there would be tons more mega multi champion HB or walking stakes dogs facts are there isn't.
We have fun at what we do and our dogs are running doing more then just sitting by the fire place or in the kennel. Even the tournament hunters wonder why soe dogs get there faster then other and why certain dogs do better..they figured out THE GAME
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm

One things for sure, you know what you got when you take them bird hunting.
there is no perfect way to artificially set up a trial period end of sentence no matter what format one runs
Good info - sounds to me like hunting or trials run on wild birds is the best test goin'! Might have to concentrate my efforts in those areas! :wink:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:35 pm

sjkennels -

I don't know squat about NSTRA but I will tell you this, and you can take it to the bank...

If you are going to get involved in any sort of competitive dog trials or tests, you need a thick skin. Folks will razz you, mess with you and generally bust your chops, just to see which way you jump. And that is when you are getting started! If you start to be successful, you are REALLY in for it.

Most of it is in the nature of locker room humor, but some of it stings. You gotta learn to roll with it and it really helps if you can give as good as you get.

Every time you step to the line with your dog...you are leading with your chin and someone is probably gonna take a shot. It is part of the charm of competition. :lol: :twisted:

RayG

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:00 pm

yea i normally do have thick skin i was not having a good day when that happened thank you all for your responses to my questions
kick'em up knock'em down

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:32 pm

adogslife
that's one ussumption that is all full of holes- tracking dog won't have a chance- think that's the reason some are so against NSTRA- their outstanding trackers can't win- oh wait- if everybody has trackers they could- just find the right trial ground where the bird planter can be patterned because he drives in a line and drops birds off

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:36 am

Shadow wrote:

adogslife
that's one ussumption that is all full of holes- tracking dog won't have a chance- think that's the reason some are so against NSTRA- their outstanding trackers can't win- oh wait- if everybody has trackers they could- just find the right trial ground where the bird planter can be patterned because he drives in a line and drops birds off
Some call this home court advantage... Our club 98% of planters plant two-three birds in front, head over dam and 2-3 in back... Go where the other guy isnt, get your three birds, and then make him score birds on you... Works all the time...
Also, when the weather gets cold and fields are cleaned in 10-15 mins a brace, a tracking dog wins ... ALOT
KN

SHOWTIME

Post by SHOWTIME » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:41 am

I started off in NSTRA but have since moved to shooting dogs but I believe all the NSTRA trials that I went to the birds were released from horseback and the judges were on horseback. Has this changed?
{~ITSINTHEBLOOD~}

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:49 am

You must have been in it a LOOOONG time ago:)
brenda

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:31 pm

there are still palces where horses are used
many of our trials here in AZ are horseback because they are on public land which 4 wheeler use is prohibited