First Shot Bird!

EddieF

First Shot Bird!

Post by EddieF » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Today was just a huge day for Winnie and I. I brought four chukar down to my friend's farm a couple hours south of here. He has a Spinone who Winnie has met and spent time with before. I thought I was at a point in her training where we could break out the shotgun, tie the experience with a bird, and see what happens.

First we let the Spinone hunt the first two birds with Winnie watching on a leash with me. First bird, two shots from my friend (we both brought our 16 ga.), no reaction whatsoever from Winnie.

Next we let Winnie hunt the third bird, but she bounded through the grass so fast she bumped the bird and flushed it. No shot.

On the last bird she was much more methodical in her search, and when she found and pointed the bird she held it until I got there to flush it. One shot with my trusty Model 12 and Winnie's very first bird was down. She searched for a while, found it but kind of lost interest in going through brambles to get it. So I reached in, got it and threw it for her. The thrown bird she retrieved directly to my hand.

I sat on the porch enjoying a Sam Adams Oktoberfest as I picked about 200 burrs off of Winnie. I can't recall ever being so proud. It was a huge step in our training, and now that I know she's okay with the shotgun, I believe our training will really accelerate going forward. :D

GSPVIZ

Re: First Shot Bird!

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:09 pm

That's awesome Eddie! Glad to hear she is doing well. Looks like a fun day!

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:07 pm

GSPVIZ wrote:That's awesome Eddie! Glad to hear she is doing well. Looks like a fun day!

X2 :!: :!: :!:

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks so much! Here is a little bit of video footage if you want to check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOEvouwb0k