dove season

Hattrick

dove season

Post by Hattrick » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Looking for advice i`m new her an been asking a lot dumb ? an getting alot good advice so far. But here it is. My pup is 4mths now, gun fire don`t bother her which i`ve taken a little slack on for gun braking her so young but i got lucky she don`t seem to flinch an fetch`s shot pigeons well. So is there any reason not to take her out in early dove season? Her pointing is ok but not as good as her brothers. I have been advzed on what do with that slowly. Will this hurt that or just help with her with bird drive.. So far things are moving fast, i dont believe i put to much on her yet but if i`m approaching the line please let me no. Too night when we went on a ramp around farm i notice when i let her off the lease she would range out about 50-70yds then stop to look back like she was checking in with me, i thought it was kinda cool i hope she continues that. Its nothing i trained her do she just did it. Not sure if that bit of info has a baring on ur opinions.. thanks

Hattrick

Re: dove season

Post by Hattrick » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:06 am

One thing i would like to add i`m sure most already know, with dove hunting there's no pointing just retrieving shoot birds

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:00 am

I can't recall the scientific name for the phenomenon, but doves may essentially release their feathers when shot, and dogs retrieving them often have a mouthful of loose feathers to contend with. Those feathers are bothersome to a dog and tend to cause mouthing of the birds, which too often leads to actually eating the small morsel that was your dove. That early dove season is usually hot will make even a well-watered dog's saliva extra sticky, makes the loose feather problem even worse than it will be later in the year.

Were the pup mine, it would not be given the chance to retrieve doves until after good mouth habits have been well conditioned on larger, more tightly feathered birds.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Unless a buddy shows up with a lab, our dogs have always stayed at home during dove season. Part of that is that they don't sit still enough, part is the heat, but a big reason around here are the snakes. I personally would be concerned about all that and the dove feathers issue mentioned above (esp. with a pup) would make me think it might be best to leave the pup to lounge at the house for the day.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:41 am

I agree with Rick. 4 months is a bit young for a difficult bird like the dove. I would wait until she's a little older, the weather is cooler, and she's demonstrated her retrieving ability on larger, less explosive birds.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:13 am

I've taken my GSP on dove hunts, but he wasn't 4mos old...more like 2.5 yrs old. He doesn't like to sit still so he enjoys roaming around while I wait for the doves to fly by. The moment he sees my shotgun move or hears a gunshot he's looking for a bird.

Some good points were already posted about the loose feathers and typical high heat conditions. My GSP has a very good soft mouth, but the feathers do tend to stick. I have plenty of water with me to spray his coat down and make sure he drinks plenty of water to prevent dehydration.

Labs are more ideal for this type of hunting, but my GSP has worked out well. He finds my downed doves and simply loves being out there.

Based on your dog's age and experience, my personal suggestion would be to pass on this season and try her out next year.

Best of luck with your pup!

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:27 am

I would say she is a little young for any hunting yet, just do general obedience and let her be a pup for another 3 or 4 months, then gently start her on cold game, but not Dove or Pigeon for reasons already stated.

Dave.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:24 am

This comes up every year. Some dogs it's not going to bother, some it'll ruin. Why take the risk?

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

IMO, 4 months is too young for anything but low-zero pressure training.

Too many risks involved in taking a pup that young out hunting and not enough potential for rewards. It's not really a training situation.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks again guys for great advice. I defiantly consider ur points mention..I was looking more for just having her out with me for a romp around the farm with possibility of retrieving a couple birds , wick i believe she would do willing. So far on pigeons she don`t chew them up seems to have a soft mouth. The big concern is the feathers i didn`t no about that with dove. Do pigeons do the same thing when shot? Good chance i will leave her home if its real hot as you guy mention.. Just excited to get her out i love to watch her sniff stuff out. Might try to post some pics when figure out how from are training days.