new vizsla puppy, now what??

mta0019

new vizsla puppy, now what??

Post by mta0019 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:32 pm

i have bowhunted for years and have recently found a passion for bird and waterfowl hunting. i have a 8 week old vizsla that i want to hunt with someday and i am hoping to get some feedback on how to start the training and how to raise him. i have never trained a gun dog before but i want to do it the right way. any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

dugger13

Re: new vizsla puppy, now what??

Post by dugger13 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 pm

I would spend 100 dollars on The Perfect Start Perfect Finish video series.

Wish i had that with my first dog. She may of had a chance then. :) :)

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:27 pm

Not an expert but I do have a couple of Vizslas. Best thing is let him be a pup. Introduce him to as many things as possible, but don't baby him if he acts funny. Who is the breeding out of? Where did you get him and where do you live? If you have access to birds, get him out on them. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck
Jeff

mta0019

Post by mta0019 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

pm sent hp

bwire

Post by bwire » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:39 pm

I have two vizslas and hpvizsla is right, expose him to as many things as possible but don't push him too much when he is young. Expose him to open areas to run but you don't want the grass/cover to be too high for the young pup. Vizslas don't respond well to harsh treatment and a verbal scoulding usualy does the trick. When I got my first V I read a couple different books including The Delmar Smith Method and another book called the Versitle Vizsla. There is a lot of information out there on how to expose the dog to birds, gunfire, etc and a lot of good advice on this site. Good luck and keep us up to date on his progress.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:46 pm

first things first, lets see some pics.

Second, where did you get him/her from?

Brandon

rydaddy

Post by rydaddy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Vizsla!
Rydaddy
"Levi" Vizsla

mta0019

Post by mta0019 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:25 pm

i got the pup from the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area. the fellow i purchased him from has been great with helping me start the new pup in the right direction. first of all i don't know anyting about my dogs pedigree. the names that appear most often are out of Rebel Rouser. both the mother and father have rebel rousers in their pedigree's. thank you all for the help and keep it comin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:10 am

What a good lookin' baby!!!
VERY NICE!!!

Doug

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:24 am

mta0019 wrote:i got the pup from the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area. the fellow i purchased him from has been great with helping me start the new pup in the right direction. first of all i don't know anyting about my dogs pedigree. the names that appear most often are out of Rebel Rouser. both the mother and father have rebel rousers in their pedigree's. thank you all for the help and keep it comin!
I think if you have Rebel Rouser in the pedigree you have some of the best field breeding in the country.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 am

Good looking pup. You will find Rebel Rouser in a lot of the Vizslas in the US. They are a good kennel and have produced a number of dogs. Rebel Rouser is found in many lines including both of the pups that I have. Just because the Rebel Rouser is in the name does not mean that it is a good thing though, because they did not require that the dog be a betterment to the breed to be bred. The sold the pups as is and allowed whoever had the pup to do what they wanted with the dog. I am not saying that this is a bad thing but understand that because the pedigree has RR does not mean it is the best. Like I said both of my girls have Rebel Rouser through ET. Both are great dogs, as I believe Vizslas are but one has inhaled allergies, which is a big problem with Gun Dogs. If you want, send a copy of the pedigree to me and I will try to give you a better background on your dog.

Take care
Jeff

bwire

Post by bwire » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 am

Very good looking pup! I don't know much about pedigrees but if he came from parents who hunt I think he will work out fine for you. Its great that the breeder is helping you out too.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Beautiful Pup! Like other said it is all about different experience right now. Lots of walks in cover and singing to her as you walk keeping her in front of you. Then I would recommend Perfect Start and Finish. Lastly when you do start training don't skimp on birds. Best of Luck and enjoy the trip.
Doyle

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Great looking pup! Rebel Rouser in a vizsla is a good thing now matter how you look at it, they have produced some great dogs. Good luck with him :D

mta0019

Post by mta0019 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

thanks everyone!
he's really coming along. we've been working on walking on a lease and are making slow progress. he has been retrieving really well in my opinion and he will now sit on command most of the time. i think he is finally crate trained as he has only barked very little for the past two nights. we are having a few issues though such as going balistic and running around chewing on everything when he wakes up! when i try to settle him down he just nips at me. i have read on the forum and other places that i should hold him down on his back or his side until he submits. he absolutely hates when i do this and he goes even more crazy. is it possible that i am being too rough? does he just need more excersize or what? i try to walk him atleast once a day. please give me your advice. thanks.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:30 am

I would add more excercise. I know Dyson is a little terror when not properly excercised (which now days means an hour of flat out running). However, when excerised is the sweetest dog and well behaved dog around. Remember, he is still a pup but a high energy pup. Once a day walks may not be enough. Maybe try two shorter walks or even three (weather permitting). And don't forget play time and training time. I learned the hard way two couches and numerous other items later.
Carla

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:58 am

A puppy gets up and out of it's crate after sleeping all night and of course he is going to run , chew, play, and do anything else he can think of. take it out and play with it or just let it run. It will settle down in a little while. Don't try to control it every minute as it needs to explore and have some fun if you want it independant and well adjusted. Guess what I am trying to say is don't make normal behavior into a problem. They are only a puppy once.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mta0019

Post by mta0019 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 am

thanks all. i am having been walking him more and letting him play outside for hours at a time. his behavior is improving! here a couple updated photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:03 am

Running and playing is normal for the pups. As stated above, let him be a pup and have fun. Don't try to control everything but don't let him have bad habits. Give him time and he will develop into a nice dog. Be too rough and he could shut down on you. Try and get enrolled in a puppy class when he gets old enough and have fun. Did I mention to have fun? They are only a pup once, although Vizslas will always have a playful attitude.
Jeff

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Hey! Is that Tripp? That's one of my babies. Those are some awesome pups. Only one left. Good to see you here Tanner. The mother is Journey, you can see her picture in the April Photo contest thread. Pedigrees are http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1799 and http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2104.

MARKB

Post by MARKB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm

DoubleB20

Check your PM's

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:22 am

MarkB - didn't get one. I tried to send you one.

Thanks!