suggestion

jbraun

suggestion

Post by jbraun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:40 am

I don't see a place to make suggestions, so I will make it here and hope the right person sees it. I thought it would be nice to search the members list and find people who might be near my area to maybe contact them and share local information or get together to train etc.. I know that many people do not list a location in their profile but if there was a way to search at least by state that may be something that is helpful. I started to just scroll through the list but after about 10 pages that was all I could stand. It is a credit to the site administrator, moderators, and the membership that there are 68 pages of members on this site. This is a great site to get information and advice, especially for someone with their first dog like me. Thanks to all.

dugger13

Re: suggestion

Post by dugger13 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:46 am

There is a gundogforum map around here somewhere. i think the link is on the main page before you enter the forum. Not everyone is on it though.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:16 am

I know you are sincere JB but there is no way I would want any info on me open to the public.
I work at the jail so am more aware than most about how the internet is used to commit a crime. Everyone gets out of jail sooner or later. No one should be naive and think nothing can happen to them.
A friend of mine told about his new boat on a forum. You guessed it. The boat went missing. Could have been worse. One of his kids could have gone missing if he had shared too much info about them.

Be careful folks. If you need more horror stories to convince you not to be naive, just PM me.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:32 am

Really, though, how is that any different than placing a classified ad? It's all in what information you want to give out, and what information you want to keep private. Certainly discretion needs to be used, but there are extremes to everything. I have no problem letting people know that I live in Flat Rock, IL. I'm sure all the breeders on the internet have no problem letting prospective clients know where the kennels are, either. Really, if you've uploaded ANYTHING to the internet, including a single post to a forum, then chances are that a sufficiently skilled person could track you down. But you have to keep in mind - people don't care to do that unless you give them reason. (And if you're talking about people that are simply crazy, then my response would be that you don't need to give those kinds of people anything - they act at random anyway).

Jbraun, check the GDF Map here: http://www.frappr.com/gundogforum

Then you can PM people close to you and see if they'd be interested in joining up to train.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 am

Ayres wrote:Really, though, how is that any different than placing a classified ad? It's all in what information you want to give out, and what information you want to keep private. Certainly discretion needs to be used, but there are extremes to everything. I have no problem letting people know that I live in Flat Rock, IL. I'm sure all the breeders on the internet have no problem letting prospective clients know where the kennels are, either. Really, if you've uploaded ANYTHING to the internet, including a single post to a forum, then chances are that a sufficiently skilled person could track you down. But you have to keep in mind - people don't care to do that unless you give them reason. (And if you're talking about people that are simply crazy, then my response would be that you don't need to give those kinds of people anything - they act at random anyway).

Jbraun, check the GDF Map here: http://www.frappr.com/gundogforum

Then you can PM people close to you and see if they'd be interested in joining up to train.
I agree with this completely. Because someone somewhere traced someone through the internet just doesn't affect my security to any extent. Thats like being afraid to go outside because you might be struck by lightning. Out of the millions of people who frequent the net, 1, 2, or even 10 crimes happening has little effect on anyone security. That why I post my address on here and many other places and have never had a problem and know no one that has. It seems it is always some one elses friend or someone you have heard about that has the problem.

And anyone that wants to find you can do it without you telling them on the net. The info is already there.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:36 am

Sharon wrote:I know you are sincere JB but there is no way I would want any info on me open to the public.
I work at the jail so am more aware than most about how the internet is used to commit a crime. Everyone gets out of jail sooner or later. No one should be naive and think nothing can happen to them.
A friend of mine told about his new boat on a forum. You guessed it. The boat went missing. Could have been worse. One of his kids could have gone missing if he had shared too much info about them.

Be careful folks. If you need more horror stories to convince you not to be naive, just PM me.

Sharon,
I already know you live in London,Ontario and work at the jail, just from your post above and the info under your avatar. You have already willingly provided all the info the original poster is asking for, plus a little more.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 pm

dog dr, you are such a stalker, who was your PI on this case :lol:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 pm

what's wrong with makeing a post- "hey, I'm over here and looking for anyone who'd like to get together for a bit of dog work"

sheese- I'd think most get on here because there's not much else to do- surf a bit- and see where the interest lies- not sure how many would actually like to meet up in person- but then again- who am I to say