Looking at getting another pup

dlfl

Looking at getting another pup

Post by dlfl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 am

Now that I lost Rye I have been thinking of getting a new pup. It keeps me from lingering over his loss. :(

Now that I am older and way too large, I am thinking of a closer hunting breed. The spaniel group seems to be the direction I am going to go. I have been looking at Welsh springers and English Cockers. The Clumber would be a good physical fit :oops: , but I can not find any real hunting breeders.

If anyone could tell me about their experiences with the wss or the ecs It could be a real help.
Dіck

Wildweeds

Re: Looking at getting another pup

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:58 pm

As far as the clumber goes........a fellow i train with has one he trains with for the breeder(his freind)she's into the show thing but near as I can tell they hunt too,I've hunted with the one he's trained on and killed birds over the dog.I'm pretty particular and set in my ways as far as what "Hunting" is and won't hunt with a potlicker.This dog doesn't make your eyes bleed and does a good job,fact is if I was older I'd have no problems owning that particular dog.Show bred or field bred exposure to the task at hand at the right time is what gets you a desired effect for the most part.I will say that any of the show bred setters,english,irish,gordon and weimeraners are the most fouled up from coat color breeding,alot harder to make one of them hard charging hunters.

spaniel_man

Re: Looking at getting another pup

Post by spaniel_man » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:11 pm

I have an ecs, I'm not sure if he is typical for the breed or not but i'll share my experience with you. He is 5 y.o. and 35-38 lbs, not a huge dog, but not small either. the only time I've seen his size be an issue was in thick grass/brush and heavy snow, and he just tended to tire out from pushing through it. As far as hunting drive goes he has TONS, I could turn him out into a freshly cut football field and he would hunt it just like CRP. The drive is also a double edged sword, if allowed he will charge out 100+ yds hunting and he is not all that particular what he is hunting for, birds are good as are rabbits, mice, snakes, raccoons, possums, squirrels, cats... It it runs (or moves) the game is on, and to make matter worse he is fast. The little guy also does not know when to quit, I have to be the one to put him up, very rarely after a day of hunting is he not all cut up from charging through the brush. As far as personality goes in the home he is a sweet dog, usually content to just be in the same room with you. If you get up to get a drink, he is right there with you. He is always ready for an adventure. this is very different than our GSP who does not care if we are there or gone she is going to do what she wants. The only real downside that I have found with him is his fur, he catches everything in it, if there is a sand bur in the same county he will have found it.