Discovery Channel Show on Feral Hogs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Discovery Channel Show on Feral Hogs

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:16 am

DC ran a show called "Pig Bomb" last night about wild & feral hogs....wow. Anyone ever see one of those 300lb monsters. Some of the hunters had pretty tough looking bull-dog types with them chasing the pigs...

scary stuff

sal

GSPVIZ

Re: Discovery Channel Show on Feral Hogs

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:22 am

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think most of the hog hunters use Dogo Argentinos?

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am

I've see Ridgebacks being used as well.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 am

not sure, the ones on this program looked like big as American Bulldogs...scary stuff

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah, it probably was Dogo Argentinos then. They do look like huge American Bulldogs.

-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 am

Had a friend of mine in East Texas take hogs on with his 2 Black mouth Curs, and let me telly ou those dogs were absolutely relentless in taking thos big hogs out of the brush!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:28 am

one of the family friends has a few blackmouth/pit bull crosses that he uses for hogs...that was a good show i do know that the pig population in West TX has exploded in the past 15 years.... also the number of Rabid Coyotes has went up ten fold as well. i've heard of people taking russians in east TX...i mean the split hairs on the shoulders and everything.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:05 am

Most hog hunters use catahoulas, black mouth curs, and pits or a mix of those, they are much cheaper and easier to come by than Dogos. Dogos are very similar in size to performance bred american bulldogs, 85-100 or so maybe 110 but a working dogo at 110 lbs is not very common.

But with hog hunters you will see anything from running walkers, to plotts, florida curs, airedales, ridgebacks, and various cross of pointers, shorthairs, rotts, mastiffs, greyhounds, stag hounds etc. Basically any cross that will chase and bay a pig.

Dogos are dang impressive dogs, unlike most catch dogs the will trail and find their own hog, most catch dogs are reliant on the bay dogs to locate.

I have hunted hogs with jagd terriers, blackmouth curs, catahoula, a blue heeler, plott x kemmer cur, pits, and american bulldogs. All got the job done.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:21 am

from watching that show...and HOGZILLA they may have to start hunting with a irishwolfhound/belgian draft horse cross :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:33 am

You guys make me feel like a wussy. I am at the office on Park Ave in NYC, waiting for my girl to come over and give me a haircut and a manicure...

I wish I were out there chasing those hogs with those dogs...My Spinone will stay home thank you
very much!!

sal

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:40 am

I can promise you if you can ever make a hog hunt with dogs you will not be dissapointed, it is exciting to say the least.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am

go on the hunt where instead of shooting the hog you stab it....Tred Barta did that....Crazy

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm

:lol: :lol: For some reason when you said Tred Barta, I was thinking I could see Uncle Ted doing the same thing and then going on his "blood brother eagle" talk and so on! :lol: :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 pm

uncle ted....wow i don't know what to say about that guy...he's got a few screws loose... "my idea of fast food is a mallard" :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:56 pm

would you guys eat one of those hogs?

sal

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm

i'll try anything once....the smaller ones are good...i figure the larger ones would be tough

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:04 pm

yeah and they eat anything, I had wild boar in Italy last year, was great.

speaking of wild boar, Orijen has a wild boar dog food now, $65 a bag for 27lbs......LOL

sal

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:07 pm

i was stationed in Sicily for a few years... 2004 to 2006...nice place... 65 bucks for a bag of food? yeah i don't think so... the feral hogs have a gamey taste....but soak it in milk for a few minutes and it takes care of it.... plus you can fill the freezer in one night of spot lighting. for the price of a box of bullets and a few gallons of gas...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:12 pm

if you freeze pork at zero or below for a period of time, you can feed it raw, the hunters in italy feed the dogs raw boar after it has been frozen...

$65 a bag is nuts, its great chow but.....

I just scored up some organic green beef trip for nothing from a local farmer bringing his steer to the house, working on some goat now, all you have to do is ask they throw all that good dog food away

venison tripe is great for dogs, may be the best.

sal

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 pm

i know there is a company in Socal that sells green tripe....very very very pricey....but as soon as i get out of the navy and get back home to TX i'll have plenty of waste meat and tripe to feed the dogs.... i know some of the sled dogs up north get fed raw caribou...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:28 pm

feeding raw can cost a lot, or very little depending on how much work you wanna do.. beef hearts cost about $1.5 and they are at least a couple of pounds, any way time to head out

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm here in GA where hog hunting is very big especially with dogs....There are the farms that are over populated and have a lot of destruction from pigs alot of it comes from not managing then correctly its an all year round thing...they plant the crops then they come in and destroy it...you have to be controling them long before you plant....a ferrel hog is a varmit they should be killed the sows are about all that i ever mess (eating wise) with the big stinky boars I don't mess with...there are a lot of people that will they say you have to cut them just right and do certain things to make it better....either way you have to treat them just as coyote

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:17 pm

every coyote we see....we shoot it....the same with the hogs...they are just to much of a nuisance.it's nothing to take 10 to 15 coyotes just by spotlighting 3 or 4 hours at night... last year that had a coyote get into the old folks home... jesus i sound like a hick... :lol:

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm

I would eat a hog.

APBTs, dogos, ridgbacks, american bulldogs, and bandogges are commonly used for hog hunting. It is indeed a dangerous sport for the dogs involved, but they seem to truly enjoy it. Hogs can be, and are very destructive creatures.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Yes, marinated right a smaller pig is awesome. Typically we use Kerr dogs to locate and "Bay" the pig, then depending on the size of the pig, we might release "Killer" we always used a pit bull. My friends do it every weekend down there, and love it
KN

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 pm

Some of my buddies down in Louisiana ,where I am originally from, used to use Catahoulas or Catahoula/Pit Bull crosses and used to kill the hogs with a long pike made from a sharpened piece of tree branch or sharpened oak dowel rods.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:23 pm

i just cant believe a domestic hog can revert to wild in two weeks, grow hair and have a babies with tusks, that is unreal, really is

does anyone use Labradoodles for hog hunting, just kidding!!!!!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Feral pig is very good to eat, its the same with any other wild game, keep it cool, keep it dry and try to keep it as clean as possible. Can it be tough? sure. It is to domestic pork as venison is to beef much much leaner and therefore people have a tendency to over cook it and dry it out.

I wish I had a good place to hog hunt consistently, I would have to split my time between bird dogs and hog dogs, that is how much I love it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:51 pm

it looks like warfare actually, maybe it is given the reproductive rate of these animals

i know you guys wont believe it, but in NJ deer are reproducing at an alarming rate, the local parks have organized hunts and now the wild turkey is back and all over the place...and since they ground nest, fox, racoons etc are blooming...next the big cats will come..

if you deer hunt make a trip to NJ and bowhunts, you will have good meat for a lifetime

did i mention Canada Geese...they "bleep" everywhere

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:22 pm

mcbosco wrote:i just cant believe a domestic hog can revert to wild in two weeks, grow hair and have a babies with tusks, that is unreal, really is

The feral hogs are not much different than any other hog that is wild and not being fed and slaughtered when they are six months old. The difference is they are mature and wild. Domestic pigs have tusks just like the feral ones. And the hogs they have in Europe are a different animal as are many of the ones in the southern prt of this country. Many of those are Russian Boars and not feral pigs. But either way they are all terribly destructive and are considered vermin in many areas.

And yes they are good to eat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:i just cant believe a domestic hog can revert to wild in two weeks, grow hair and have a babies with tusks, that is unreal, really is

The feral hogs are not much different than any other hog that is wild and not being fed and slaughtered when they are six months old. The difference is they are mature and wild. Domestic pigs have tusks just like the feral ones. And the hogs they have in Europe are a different animal as are many of the ones in the southern prt of this country. Many of those are Russian Boars and not feral pigs. But either way they are all terribly destructive and are considered vermin in many areas.

And yes they are good to eat.

Ezzy
the only difference with the domestic pigs is that we cut there wolf teeth or tusks off at a very young age so they do not grow...

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:10 am

Anyone interested may want to check out affordablehoghunts.com You hunt behind there dogs if you choose to. You can hunt with a knife, bow, or firearm. They are located in Savoy, Tx. Just in case any of you was looking for a summer hunt.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:52 pm

mcbosco wrote:it looks like warfare actually, maybe it is given the reproductive rate of these animals

i know you guys wont believe it, but in NJ deer are reproducing at an alarming rate, the local parks have organized hunts and now the wild turkey is back and all over the place...and since they ground nest, fox, racoons etc are blooming...next the big cats will come..

if you deer hunt make a trip to NJ and bowhunts, you will have good meat for a lifetime

did i mention Canada Geese...they "bleep" everywhere

I have a really close friend who lives up in Jersey and works as an electronics engineer. He has been trying to get me to come up there and deer hunt. His backyard opens to a public hunting area. He told me a few years ago that a co-worker of his shot 46 deer and filled his freezer and gave the rest away to local homeless shelters. He also told me that the state of NJ plants food plots on their public hunting land, which I wish the cheap state of Oklahoma would do out where I live, and that one night he went out just to scout at night without a gun and with permission from his local game warden used a spotlight and saw 57 deer on one little 50 acre food plot. Sounds like it is getting out of hand around there but from what I understand from him most of the people that live around him are city folk who do not believe in hunting and that is part of the problem.[/