Skunked Again!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Skunked Again!!

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:44 pm

Went to yet a third area of the same general area that I've seen skunks on the past two trips. Thought there couldn't be that dang many there. No such luck. The shorthair pup went after one tonight. He didn't mind getting sprayed at all. Gosh, he got it all over. Eeeewwwww.

Best,

pear

Post by pear » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:59 pm

WOW you can't win for losing...you have to be getting pretty tired of all that bathing...."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:50 pm

Greg, if they are that thick keep your eye out for rabies. Skunks are the No.1 carrier here in the mid-west. We have a bunch around here also I think from the smell but have only seen a couple and Rush got acquainted with one of them. They are hard on nesting bird eggs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mark_sd

Post by mark_sd » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:06 pm

Do your dogs have targets on them or what? :D
I wonder... could you train your dogs to avoid skunks (I read
that dogs can be trained to avoid snakes... somehow).

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:17 pm

I think I skunk-broke Cody in ND. He was standing pointed at the edge of some bushes. Rick went up to flush, I was standing back watching, and I had his transmitter in hand. As Rick noticed no birds came out, he parted the bushes to look inside, as he did he was looking at the rear of a raised skunk tail, he yelled and jumped back, I immedietatly hit shock mode on Cody, sending him backward just in time! Hopefully he is skunk broke now. Both escaped the spray luckily. Can`t think of much worse than having to ride back with both stinking!!!
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:18 am

I nicked Gunner 4 times and he just went back in for more. Maybe it'll sink in, though.

Best,

sdgord

skunks

Post by sdgord » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:53 am

Ick, skunks and pine pigs dont know which is worse. I am not sure you can break a versatile dog from skunks. My weim seems to find them quite interesting, while the Gordons point them from a distance and growl. Which is nice because that Gordon coat would take a lot more bathing than the weims. If your dog does not respond to the nick maybe a hotter constant would do the trick, I had to use the hottest setting on constant to stop the jackrabbit chasing. SDGORD

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 am

That might be the problem Greg...You don`t nick when you want to break, you go for all you got. Thats what I did, it sent Cody flying backwards, and it takes alot for that. I did not even know what Rick was yelling about, but I was already ready when I did not see birds fly. I figured it was something bad from his reaction.
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:36 am

If it comes up again (Please, God, NO!) , I'll go for the constant.

It happened pretty fast and I had my thumb on the nick button.

Best,

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:47 am

I gotem here too man they stink. Proky's too. I just shootem when the dog aint looking.

What did u find works best taking the smell out. U have all the exerience lol.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:38 am

I had a dog that would seek out the skunks and get hit every time. I shot one (a skunk) and beat him about the head with it then tied it to his collar and left him stinky. He stopped chaseing them after that. You need to tie it in such a way so the dog cant get to it, he will eat it probably. My Dad told me about doing this with any varmint you dont want a dog to chase.

I tried midsomers nite douche recommended in a few mags on hunting and it didnt work so good.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:37 am

"I tried midsomers nite douche recommended in a few mags on hunting and it didnt work so good."

I can think of a few tongue-in-cheek comments for that... :lol:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:18 pm

Ryan wrote:I gotem here too man they stink. Proky's too. I just shootem when the dog aint looking.

What did u find works best taking the smell out. U have all the exerience lol.
1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
1 cup of baking soda
2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid

Sop it on all over, rinse off and repeat. Soak the collars in it 24 hours.

Works very well.

Regards,

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:09 pm

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:31 pm

markj wrote:I had a dog that would seek out the skunks and get hit every time. I shot one (a skunk) and beat him about the head with it then tied it to his collar and left him stinky. He stopped chaseing them after that. You need to tie it in such a way so the dog cant get to it, he will eat it probably. My Dad told me about doing this with any varmint you dont want a dog to chase.
my grandfather did that with his coon dogs when they ran rabbits...

sdgord

skunks

Post by sdgord » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:14 am

The peroxide mix works real well, tie a skunk to my dogs neck.First off I dont want to get that close to a skunk, second gotta stink like the "bleep", third we have a few rabid skunks around here not to mention there have been cases of bubonic plague. I gotta think that the hot setting on your e collar may be the better, or at least less odor producing solution. SDGORD

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:24 am

I too, was a little concerned what the neighbors and my wife would say if the dog had a skunk tied to it in the kennel or in the crate in the basement where they sleep.

Markj, can I come live with you for a month or so after I get the skunk tied on real good?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 am

I can think of a few tongue-in-cheek comments for that
I left myself wide open didnt I? :) I used it on the dogs coat, this looks a lot better? :)
1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
1 cup of baking soda
2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid

Sop it on all over, rinse off and repeat. Soak the collars in it 24 hours.
I will use this recipe next, never know when an animal rights person will take offense to a dead skunk tied to a dogs collar :) we have a few antis in Iowa, waiting for a season :)
I gotta think that the hot setting on your e collar may be the better, or at least less odor producing solution.
New fangled methods :) didnt have these until recently, still learning how to use one. I would hate to ruin a dog with one.
My brother put one on his hand and I shocked him at the lowest levels on up, the highest level felt like a hard hit on the hand he says.
Markj, can I come live with you for a month or so after I get the skunk tied on real good?
Well sure, I have plenty of peroxide and baking soda :) for the dog that is. Then we can go for a hunt :) the season is upon us :)

When I was a lad and had my first or second GSP we were out hunting a creek, I had the GSP and an older Britt. At the end of the creek they went on point but their heads were up and they moved back, I moved up ready to shoot and saw the tail up. I jumped back in time to be missed, the dogs got it full on. Afterwards they would run off for their nitetime fun and bring home a dead skunk, racoon whatever they could kill. Got real smelly that summer and Dad showed my the tie on method :) didnt have any problems with that again. Dad is gone now, running fields with our dogs that have gone before.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935