Coyotes and pointer

Oscar

Coyotes and pointer

Post by Oscar » Sun May 24, 2009 11:53 am

Yesterday I have the oportunity saw a coyote family . I was running muy pointer when I saw a big , big running coyotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jX-jSiQrw

Las week I saw a beatiful ( I do not to know do you see )

Se the video pleas I know you like .

Oscar CHavez
Mexico

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Coyotes and pointer

Post by Sharon » Sun May 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Nice video, but coyotes are a huge problem in Southern Ontario. They are living closer and closer to "civilization" as their land is industrialized. Losing your dog to a coyote in your favourite training ground is common. They will take anything under 35 pounds. Almost lost my young setter one day. In the Ontario forum there are many stories of bad encounters with coyotes.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Sun May 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Nice video.
It's amazing how well they camoflauge with their surroundings.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun May 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Oscar- do you hunt them down there- sort of thinking your running your dogs disturbed them-

I'm in SW Kansas- coyotes arround here weigh pretty much 34-39lbs- many are shot at as the farmers and ranchers don't like them- one of the reason we can carry loaded guns in our vehicles

we are actually seeing more coyotes out and about arround 11:00 am- most are after mice- but they will take a new born calf if they get a chance

nice clip-

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sun May 24, 2009 9:45 pm

I do not saw coyotes one for 5 years maybe. I do not hunting , I can not because he like that dogs .

maybe my litle pointer female can to daied for that I will be to take care that ( and she is big runnig and all times she is running in that coyotes land and lost the viuew for me.

I have an othe dog ( Lancelot dog, he es a big dog maybe 55 lbs ) Luna is 40-45 lbs only.

Thanks I like so much you like that video. For me was very strong impresion saw the coyotes and his very speedy running. They were big 40 lbs. maybe.

Oscar CHávez

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon May 25, 2009 5:54 am

I do not saw coyotes one for 5 years maybe. I do not hunting , I can not because he like that dogs .
I feel the same way about it.

I enjoyed the video
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon May 25, 2009 6:59 am

Oscar- been hearing coyotes yipping and such on the farm a couple times after the sun went down- figured they might have a den close so just a bit ago I went looking- right next to my driveway and 80 yards from the house I found this used den- can't see it from the road as it's just out of the line of sight- not visible from a vehicle window- fresh tracks and a bit of rabbit fur- just inside the opening it branches- one goes down and to the right- one goes slightly up and back- it's in a bank of loose sand-

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon May 25, 2009 9:49 am

Most biologist will tell you that coyotes are beneficial to bird numbers since they will kill coons, possums, etc.

I am well aware of the problems coyotes cause, I raise some Barbado sheep they are the reason I bought an Anatolian shepherd, and have not had any problems.

Thanks for the video Oscar it is cool.
Last edited by ACooper on Mon May 25, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

KALEBSDAD

Post by KALEBSDAD » Mon May 25, 2009 10:12 am

Yotes are a major pain in the uh huh here in Indiana, we have a lot of Beaglers at our club, the rabbit population has been virtually knocked out by them, several guys have lost dogs to them, not very bird friendly either.......

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon May 25, 2009 11:27 am

because they kill or run off foxes , kill coons and possums skunks ect coyotes are good for bird populations.

I do suspect they would be tough on rabbits and beagles though.

One ran up to look at my pit the other day and luckily for him the winds were strong and a car was going by so the pit never heard or saw him, he took one good look at Samson and high tailed it :D I was in a position he could not see me.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon May 25, 2009 12:55 pm

actually many might not believe but- my last male was known to come back sometimes with a warm 1/2 eaten rabbit- and we'd see a coyote sneaking off-

my female when she was 3, slim and fast, was out there when I noticed something about 60 yards pacing her- she slowed down wondering- that coyote opened up, my female opened up- he didn't catch her but I dusted it with bird shot- started carrying slugs after that

maybe tough on rabbits :? - this farm was infested with rabbits

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Great video Oscar.

My gsp loves fur...and anything that runs. A couple months ago, my husband was late getting home to run the dogs and told me to just take them out myself. I forgot the e-collar/garmin combo. Midway through the ride, a coyote jumped out of some brush and the chase was on. Yelling did nothing and they were off 100 yards in the blink of an eye. As I was losing ground, I discovered I was going to have to ride faster than I ever had, if I wanted my dog back. I tore across the field and turned in front of her as she was crossing into the next field in hot pursuit. That was enough to break her line of sight. I launched off the ATV and grabbed her. Not sure how long she would've kept up the chase, or what she would've done if she'd caught it. During the run the night before it'd been a feral cat, that she chased halfway through another field, so you think I might've thought to put the collar on. :oops: Now the collar hangs on the handlebars. We have a lot of trappers in our area, that seem to keep the coyotes in check, and I enjoy watching the few that remain.
Last edited by wems2371 on Mon May 25, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Mon May 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Thaks a lot I like so much to read your coyotes hostory ( sorry for my bad english :oops: )

Oscar CHávez

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 pm

Oscar wrote:Thaks a lot I like so much to read your coyotes hostory ( sorry for my bad english :oops: )

Oscar CHávez
Oscar - a donde esta'?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Seems like I have at least one close call w/ yotes every season. This past season I was on the top of a mountain and could see my britt on the valley floor. She was flanked by a pair of yotes. I blew the whistle and fired off a shot. They bolted and she ran up to me. Had I turned the other way when I got to the top of the mtn, I would not have seen her and that could have been it for her.

When you have a big running britt you sometimes lose contact. It's always a concern of mine but I don't know anyone personally who has lost a dog to a coyote while hunting. My britt would be no match for even one yote, let alone a pair.

I have heard of coyotes taking dogs right off the leash when people were out walking their dogs at north Lake Tahoe. They're getting bolder all the time. There was even a case where a 9 y/o was chased by a yote at Northstar ske area this past winter. That case made the TV news and the newspaper.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:08 pm

The only yotes I have seen while bird hunting run for their lives to get away from the dogs. We jumped one that was asleep in a fence row and the dogs did get hold of it but when I tried to call them off it escaped. But we sure have a lot of them around anymore. I can guarantee you if you see one occasionally you have quite a few in the area. We always had lots of them in Oklahoma and Kansas but they are nuch more recent here on the east side of the Mississippi.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon May 25, 2009 6:19 pm

We have had them here in Maine for quite a while, 60's or so But in the past years there have been more and more close to homes and in the cities. They will eat anything, they are perhaps the most adaptable animal in this country. There have some killed here that have weighed in at 55 and 60 pounds. Most are in the 40 pound range. Known to take fawns smaller deer, winter yarded dear, turkeys, grouse, squirrels, ground hogs, lizards, cats small dogs, snakes etc. I take one when I can, usually see two or three in Grouse season and deer hunting every year. Have had them come in on my turkey decoys, while calling also.

As much as I admire there ability and adaptability. I would just a soon have the numbers down considerably.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

last week in my town: http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Opinion/Col ... 1-sun.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 am

good article Sharon- thanks- had a big male EP that a fella gave me long time ago that could run down a coyote- but although a bit dumb- when the coyote turned on him he turned and came back-

I don't want mine chasing- nor after fur- son and I watched for over an hour- a coyote that had been cornered by three farm dogs in an open field-

I've seen two bird dogs hit by cars who chased a coyote