camera's

up-hunter

camera's

Post by up-hunter » Wed May 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Just wondering what camera's you guys carry in the field and if you like them. I'm going to have to buy another so thought i would look for some suggestions.

thanks in advance

Elroy's Bandit

Re: camera's

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed May 20, 2009 1:22 pm

I have carried a Cannon Power Shot A510 the last 4-5 years and I love it. Excellent quality, tons of flexibility, and it's compact. The zoom is not bad, but wish it was better.It's an older model at 3.2 mega-pixels. They have a newer model like an A810 or A820 which I believe is 9.0 but for the money, I have been very happy with it. I use it for work also, so I have put 3000-3500 pictures on this unit with no issues. I have dropped it, gotten it wet in the rain, and beat it up and it still works good.
Most of the pictures taken at the various field trials have come from my camera, and they all look pretty darn good (can't blame the camera for cropped of heads or pictures of feet) That's operator error. Anyway, JMO
Bill L.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed May 20, 2009 2:02 pm

I have this one.....http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-S ... 61&sr=1-12

It's no DSLR but it takes great pics. The only think I havent figured out how to do it make it so it's not blurry when I have a dog running 100 mph across my field of view! :lol:

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 pm

I had a Pentax Optio WP. Bought it because it was waterproof (3 ft). It was great. Unfortunately, it fell from my truck onto my concrete driveway. Repair was not economical.

I researched cameras and decided on an Olympus Stylus 1050 SW. It is waterproof to about 10 ft and shockproof to 5 feet (or something like that). It takes great photos.

I found it at Costco, in a package that included a memory card and carrying case. I think I paid $249 for it. I'm very happy with it.

I saw them in Costco last week for less than $200.

I don't plan to take it scuba diving but I don't have to worry about it being damaged by rain or dropping it in a puddle.

Good luck!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 am

GSPVIZ wrote:I have this one.....http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-S ... 61&sr=1-12

It's no DSLR but it takes great pics. The only think I havent figured out how to do it make it so it's not blurry when I have a dog running 100 mph across my field of view! :lol:

dito i also have the canon sx110 takes better pictures then my older canon easier to carry ..it is a bit bigger then the traditional pocket cameras but it has more options like the bigger cameras

9 pix 10x optical and a 60mm lens size

I got mine for about 250 at wally world
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 pm

a guy who did photo's for magazines said a very good inexpensive digital camera you can get for under $100.00 at Wall Mart- choice between two Kodiak Easy Shares

pstrman

Post by pstrman » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

I will be carrying a Flip Video Camcorder which is the size of my cell phone and smaller that my camera. It records up to an hour of video, has a built in USB plug, recharges as I view my videos and the software allows me to pull individual pictures and is really easy to use.

http://www.theflip.com/index.shtml?gcli ... nAodIVG62Q

Already use it when I am sailing and its awesome.

Bryan

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri May 22, 2009 3:08 pm

While I carry a DSLR, there are many point and shoot cameras out now that have exceptional image quality. One of the greatests options in many now is image stabilisation. Helps fight the camera shake, espeically at longer focal lengths (when you have really zoomed in). When at trials, and when the dog is running farther out, you need some reach so many of the 3 to 5X optical zooms aren't the greatest as it doesn't have the greatest reach (but they can get the job done at closer range).

Canon has some awesome P&S cameras. The CANON SX10 IS 10MP has 20X optical zoom. It also has image stabilization. Very nice camera. The CANON SX200 IS 12MP 12X is also a great camera and is very compact for the features. There is also image stabilization. These cameras are probably in the $400 dollar range (at least in Canada).

Nikon has the P90 and the L100 that have long reach and image stabilization. The L100 is fairly economical (I can pick it up in Canada for $280). The P90 has a price arond the Canon SX10.

Panasonic makes cameras along the same lines. A bit of internet research will give you the information you need. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. I could go on and on, but it would be rehashing the same info, just different camera brands!

I'm looking at the Canon point and shoos cameras mentioned. It's nice having something to carry as well as my SLR. Hope this helps a bit!

Merimac

Post by Merimac » Sat May 23, 2009 7:01 pm

This is the best P&S camera I have found out there. The draw back is it is a little bigger than I want it. This is the closest thing there is to a Pro grade camera while still being a Point and shoot.

B&H photo usually has good prices.

BBMc

WingmanCA

Post by WingmanCA » Sat May 23, 2009 7:44 pm

I use the Olympus Stylus 830. It's all weather, takes great pics with 8megapixels and 5X optical zoom. Best of all, it fits easily in a shirt pocket.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat May 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Merimac..Am I missing something? Exactly which camera are you referring too?..Thanks

Merimac

Post by Merimac » Sat May 23, 2009 8:06 pm

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat May 23, 2009 11:51 pm

The Canon G10.
That would be the P&S I'd recommend for what you would likely be doing with it. The Panasonic LX3 typically rates out higher amongst the photography crowd, sort of billed as a "photographer's P&S", it's what I have but if I were to do it over I'd probably go with the G10 simply for the longer zoom - it's not a super zoom camera but up to 140mm. The LX3 only has an effective 60mm zoom and it makes it hard to really get up close and personal to the dogs on point before the birds flush. The LX3 is truly pocket size and easy to carry while, like Merimac mentions, the G10 borders on being beyond pocket size and harder to pack around. The thing I really like about both of these is RAW capabilities, which is not that common amongst P&S's.

Here's a nice review of the "higher end" compacts (considered possible SLR replacements) - the LX3 and G10 get the nod with the LX3 being the "overall winner".
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup

A few LX3 shots:

I also carry my SLR alot but if I do I'm not usually packing my gun as well - I'm out to shoot photos and photos only. I use a Sony A700 and really like it as well. As good as some of the P&S's are, still not comparable to an SLR IMO.

A700 shots:

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sun May 24, 2009 7:50 am

Doug, do you use a tripod or stick to prevent camera shake on those super zoom shots, or is the camera your using equiped with really good stabilition?

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 am

Hey DG..Great pictures!!!! But if you have a good slr and want a smaller camera to carry in the field to capture dogs on point, what is the smallest zoom lens you would consider..Thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon May 25, 2009 6:17 am

a 5 x with a larger lens size will do more then a 10 x with a smaller lens size then your pixel amount will also factor in for cropping if ou want to pick up a smaller area of the picture

That is where i really like the canon sx110 has the large lens size 9 pixels and 10x zoom and it is a pocket size camera yes it is a larger pocket size but it gives different shot options which many of your smaller pocket size don't
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am

do you use a tripod or stick to prevent camera shake on those super zoom shots, or is the camera your using equiped with really good stabilition?
I occasionally use a monopod with my SLR when I'm out goofin' in the field and a tripod/wireless shutter release at home trying to be artsy with still lifes. I think the image stabilization is good in both cameras - not sure how "slow I can go" with the LX3 but I've done handhelds with the A700 to 1/20 that have come out crisp - sometimes! :wink:
what is the smallest zoom lens you would consider
It doesn't matter how much range you've got, seems you always need more!! :lol: If I only had a P&S, shooting JPEG's I'd probably want a 10x or so which would be around a 350mm equivalent in 35mm film if that make sense...I find with the 300mm lens on my SLR (which in 35mm film equivalent is about 450mm), I can usually get decent shots of the dogs on point from a distance that doesn't put the birds up. You do have to take the whole package into consideration though, sometimes big zoom comes at the expense of digital noise, poor low light sensitivity, poor "speed" for the action shots, etc.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 am

I wish that camera had a viewfinder, with my eyesight I need to look thru something :roll:
brenda

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon May 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Hey...K9...That Canon looks to be a great camera. I think it runs on regular batteries. How often do you have to change the batteries?. Any problem taking pictures on a bright day since it has only the LCD screen..Thanks

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon May 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Olympus Stylus, hands-down. I'm no photo geek, so can't speak to many of the more esoteric issues. I got it because it shoots high quality photos, but more importantly, fits easily into a shirt pocket so I take it everywhere. If you've been to my blog, you've seen the shots it'll get (no smart remarks - I'm an amateur shooter). It's also dust proof, waterproof (underwater shots are awesome), and you can (conceivably) drop it from five feet. Again, though, about the size of a cigarette pack and that's why I like it. You won't take pictures if you don't haul the darn thing!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue May 26, 2009 6:52 am

GSPVIZ wrote:I have this one.....http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-S ... 61&sr=1-12

You'll have to have a very fast shutter speed, or learn to pan with the dog as it crosses in front (lots of practice). This is difficult with a P&S because there is usually a significant lag time when you trip the shutter vs a SLR which trips when the shutter is pressed. After using my DSLR for so long, I get frusterated using my P&S because of this lag time. BUT, it is hard to replace the P&S as they do serve a great purpose. :D

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 am

bossman wrote:Hey...K9...That Canon looks to be a great camera. I think it runs on regular batteries. How often do you have to change the batteries?. Any problem taking pictures on a bright day since it has only the LCD screen..Thanks

it takes 2 double A's and with the Energizer 8x lithium's it lasts quite a long time and if they run down i do not have to worry about recharging the camera or having a special battery just have more double A's on hand when needed

I have another cannon was twice as much and is bigger and this little camera literally takes better pictures and when cropping down to the part of picture i want the picture remains very clear

and surprisingly I have not had a problem viewing the screen which is good size in the bright sun..

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

The other thing that is hard to beat about a DSLR is the continuous shooting modes....mine will do 5 frames per second for as long as I care to hold the shutter down (or until the card fills!). This is great for "action" shots......retrieves, birds flying, etc. I still use a p&s for carrying fly-fishing where I want something to slip in my pocket and I don't usually do action shots. Whenever I try to take it out bird-hunting though I just get frustrated by the lag...

YMMV,
Randy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 pm

The canon sx110 also has continuous no it isn't as fast as the DSLRs but for a easy to carry pocket size it isn't to shabby...

Merimac

Post by Merimac » Wed May 27, 2009 7:55 pm

I would also consider a Nikon cool pix or a canon Elph if you want a small camera. I have had both and seem to carry them a lot. They have very nice image quality and I find them very nice for what I have used them for. They are also easy to put in your pocket.

I may be interested in unloading some of my SLRs soon if Mac fixes some of their glitches soon. I will be selling 3 Canon Mark II 1 DS's so I can move on to the Mark III 1 DS's.

Ben
www.mckeanphoto.com

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with the new Sony Cyber-shot H20 or any of the other Sony "point and shoot" camera's. Seem to get excellent reviews..Thanks