DRAHTHAAR????

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: DRAHTHAAR????

Post by wems2371 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:50 pm

I have been sitting back thinking, we'll I don't own a DD, so what can I input. I guess I can say I'm on face-licking (them not me :roll: ), scratch behind the ear terms with 16+ of them. They are all various ages and in my NAVHDA group, most I believe from the same breeder, with repeat buyers. I have NEVER seen one of them get sharp with a person. I have seen one of them on one occassion give a growl to another dog. Course I've seen a PP, a SM, a WPG, vizsla, my own lab, etc do that from time to time at events. Can't brand a breed by any one dog, and a bad moment seems to stick in peoples minds more than all the good ones do. My advice would be to make a list of your favorite breeds and go directly to multiple breeders of those animals for their thoughts. Listening to those who are not involved in that breed may get you exaggerated "I heard from a friend of a friend....". Google the various breeds to see what the majority of folks are doing with them and if it fits with what you want to do. Increase your odds of getting what you want by pulling from a breed known for that usage. A versatile dog (which I am defining for me as waterfowl, upland, and fur) is not half-hearted at any one skill, just because it has multiple skills. A good versatile can do it all AND do it well. Go to a NAVHDA training day. We have DDs, DKs, LM, SM, V, GSP :mrgreen: , GWP, Grifs, Weims, Spins....and I'm probably missing a few breeds in our chapter. While I realize the original poster may have changed his mind, I am throwing these thoughts out for anyone thinking about purchasing a dd or other versatile breed. Denise

A few photos of my bearded friends.

adam.WI

Post by adam.WI » Tue May 26, 2009 8:23 pm

The original poster here. I'm still looking at different breeds and am still set on a versatile breed. I like the idea of them and will probably end up in that direction when I do get another pup. Thanks for all the advise from everyone and keep it coming. The GLP's have really caught my eye, or maybe I should say the wife's eye but I wont rule out the so called ugly dogs..... I like there ugliness :mrgreen:

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 pm

The first rule of getting a hunting dog....is never,never, ever, ever, ever let the wife, girlfriend, significant other, etc.etc.etc..... who is not going to be hunting with or training the dog..........pick the breed or the pup.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Tue May 26, 2009 8:38 pm

versatileguy wrote:The first rule of getting a hunting dog....is never,never, ever, ever, ever let the wife, girlfriend, significant other, etc.etc.etc..... who is not going to be hunting with or training the dog..........pick the breed or the pup.
Good luck with that one! :|
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

cody

Post by cody » Tue May 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Adam,

Sorry didn't mean hijack your post. You could probably find some club training days or NAVHDA events in your area, they give you a chance to look at all the different breeds and if you are like me you will probably want one of each. :)

The only thing that might be a problem with the versatile's is the cat, you can probably talk them out of it when you are around but there is a chance you will not have a cat if left alone. That would be my only concern with getting a versatile in your situation. Take a look at Pudelpointers, the ones I have seen have all been impressive to say the least, Bob Farris of Cedarwood kennels in Idaho has some good ones and I am sure he would be happy to talk to you. Good luck in your quest

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 am

Dennmor wrote:You know...
This all started out with a good question and some good hearted kidding. :)
But it seems like some just can't resist turning it into something more serious. (A peeing contest) :roll:

C'MON PEOPLE!!!
right- couple are just hung up on themselves

think it's one of those things- can't control the dog so let it track, kill, retrieve whatever creeps, crawls, runs, flies, sits, or is dead
wonder if they have had their "versatiles" down here where we have rattle snakes :lol:

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am

boy, you really need to get around some versatiles and get a better understanding
Can't control the dog? Where'd that come from?