anthonyauto

Re: Michael Vick to become PETA spokesman

Post by anthonyauto » Tue May 05, 2009 7:17 am

That seems rather... ironic and absurd.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 05, 2009 7:32 am

Just shows even more what a joke PETA is.

INDIANA

Post by INDIANA » Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 am

The American Pitbull, is the most over publisized, misunderstood, exploited breed of dog in the world, it's sad that this will only end, when the breed ceases to exist.......... The only thing that Micheal Vick is sorry about, is the fact that he got caught, You can take the boy out of the ghetto but not the ghetto out of the boy, but dog fighting is not a ghetto problem, it takes place in urban and rual areas alike, it's partisipants come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, drug dealers, gansters, factory workers, tales place on all different levels from back alleys for bragging rights, up to 100,000 dollar purses, dog fighting is a crime, in most states a felony, in most states being a spectator at on of these events is a felony, in some cases a person convicted of dog fighting will do more jail time than a person convicted of child molesting, evening news talks about the awful living conditions of these dogs, just like anything else, including the members of this forum, some people take better care of their dogs, than others do......some say dog fighting is cruel and inhumane and I believe that, but some also say that putting an electronic device on a dog and shocking it, to get it to do what you want it to do, is cruel and inhumane, PETA and other organizations like PETA, lump us into the same category as they do dog fighters, get down to it, they don't think we are much better, Mr Vick lost millions, but maybe he has helped the Pitbull, after he was caught, Dog Fighting was on ESPN, 20/20, Dateline, Court TV and every evening news, Vicks case shed light on this activity, that is how it has gone on for so long, it stayed in the dark, underground....... now more people know what to look for, the Police are not going to stop dog fighting, PETA is not going to stop dog fighting, if anyone stops dog fighting, it's going to people like us, knowing what to look for and reporting when we see it, the one thng dog fighters can not stand is attention, So maybe Mr Vick has helped the American Pitbull, the most over publisized, misunderstood, exploited breed of dog in the world..........

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 am

Wow. That was a very poignant response, INDIANA. And you made a very good point. Organizations like Peta are fanatical. They do not differentiate between the dog fighter and the hound hunter. They do not differentiate between a dog crate and a cage. They will not cease until no animal is owned in any capacity, be it livestock, hunting companion or pet.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Par for the coarse.An Idiot joining an organization of Idiots.
Dog On Point!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue May 05, 2009 3:12 pm

PETA has been known to kill some pets too, a perfect fit, vick and peta.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue May 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Vick is a reprehensible, disgusting piece of excrement. He is a thug, a criminal, and a phycopath.
What he did can never be undone and his horrid acts of abuse should not be covered up by a PR campaign to make him look like a rehibilitated productive member of society. Vick is the lowest form of life imaginable in my book. I find it somewhat morbidly humorus that a bunch of "hacks" like PETA would even consider teaming up with him.... IDIOTS. :roll:

PETA = Psycologically Estranged Tortue Animals
VICK = Violent Ignorant Canine Killer

Yep.. They were made for each other. :roll:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm

INDIANA wrote:The American Pitbull, is the most over publisized, misunderstood, exploited breed of dog in the world, it's sad that this will only end, when the breed ceases to exist.......... The only thing that Micheal Vick is sorry about, is the fact that he got caught, You can take the boy out of the ghetto but not the ghetto out of the boy, but dog fighting is not a ghetto problem, it takes place in urban and rual areas alike, it's partisipants come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, drug dealers, gansters, factory workers, tales place on all different levels from back alleys for bragging rights, up to 100,000 dollar purses, dog fighting is a crime, in most states a felony, in most states being a spectator at on of these events is a felony, in some cases a person convicted of dog fighting will do more jail time than a person convicted of child molesting, evening news talks about the awful living conditions of these dogs, just like anything else, including the members of this forum, some people take better care of their dogs, than others do......some say dog fighting is cruel and inhumane and I believe that, but some also say that putting an electronic device on a dog and shocking it, to get it to do what you want it to do, is cruel and inhumane, PETA and other organizations like PETA, lump us into the same category as they do dog fighters, get down to it, they don't think we are much better, Mr Vick lost millions, but maybe he has helped the Pitbull, after he was caught, Dog Fighting was on ESPN, 20/20, Dateline, Court TV and every evening news, Vicks case shed light on this activity, that is how it has gone on for so long, it stayed in the dark, underground....... now more people know what to look for, the Police are not going to stop dog fighting, PETA is not going to stop dog fighting, if anyone stops dog fighting, it's going to people like us, knowing what to look for and reporting when we see it, the one thng dog fighters can not stand is attention, So maybe Mr Vick has helped the American Pitbull, the most over publisized, misunderstood, exploited breed of dog in the world..........
Sadly, as a pit bull owner, I can now be arrested and charged with dog fighting for having a spring pole, a breakstick, or a treadmill. If my dog has a scar, I am a possible dog fighter. The trouble with Animal rights is it nullifies owners rights. This is a sad day indeed for the APBT world. And many innocent people are having their dogs taken and killed, before a verdict wich is often innocent is reached. Mr. Vick did us no favor. He simply made it easier for our dogs to be taken and killed.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue May 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Sadly as a pit bull owner everyone I know with a break stick a tread mill is a dog fighter, so I call BS on this ....
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Tue May 05, 2009 5:03 pm

bobman wrote:Sadly as a pit bull owner everyone I know with a break stick a tread mill is a dog fighter, so I call BS on this ....
Your kidding? Why would you watch dog fights? Its illegal. I don't know why people assume people who work their dogs fight them, but ignorance gets on my nerves!
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm

And to clarify with the non pitbull owners, a break stick is something you should always have if you own a bulldog. If I am on a walk, and a stray dog comes up, and I am without a breakstick, it will end in trajedy. Every responsible "pit bull" owner should be required to keep a breakstick.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 05, 2009 5:30 pm

megschristina wrote:And to clarify with the non pitbull owners, a break stick is something you should always have if you own a bulldog. If I am on a walk, and a stray dog comes up, and I am without a breakstick, it will end in trajedy. Every responsible "pit bull" owner should be required to keep a breakstick.

Bobman isn't saying he watches dog fights he is saying people who own treadmills and breaksticks are dog fighters, you dont need a treadmill to "work" dogs, a break stick I can understand, plenty of those used hog hunting. I dont know why you would need one if a stray dog comes up unless it were to jump on your dog, and then there are other ways to break a dog off.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 05, 2009 5:31 pm

megschristina wrote:And to clarify with the non pitbull owners, a break stick is something you should always have if you own a bulldog. If I am on a walk, and a stray dog comes up, and I am without a breakstick, it will end in trajedy. Every responsible "pit bull" owner should be required to keep a breakstick.

Bobman isn't saying he watches dog fights he is saying people who own treadmills and breaksticks are dog fighters, you dont need a treadmill to "work" dogs, a break stick I can understand, plenty of those used hog hunting. I dont know why you would need one if a stray dog comes up unless it were to jump on your dog, and then there are other ways to break a dog off.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue May 05, 2009 5:35 pm

megschristina wrote:If I am on a walk, and a stray dog comes up, and I am without a breakstick, it will end in trajedy. Every responsible "pit bull" owner should be required to keep a breakstick.
THEN WHY EVEN OWN ONE?????
They are ticking timebombs and problems waiting to happen.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
megschristina wrote:If I am on a walk, and a stray dog comes up, and I am without a breakstick, it will end in trajedy. Every responsible "pit bull" owner should be required to keep a breakstick.
THEN WHY EVEN OWN ONE?????
They are ticking timebombs and problems waiting to happen.
How so? If it is okay for a pointer to point, but not a pit bull to want to fight? It is natural instinct. Can't believe a sporting dog owner of all people doesnt get that. And it is incredibly difficult to break up a dog fight without a breakstick.

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 pm

ACooper wrote:

He said he knew dog fighters. I guess I thought he had first hand knowedge and wasn't making assumptions. I don't see why treadmills are acceptable for other breeds of dogs but not "pit bulls", I have always been of the midset that double standards suck. I don't have a treadmill, but wouldn't cry "dogfighter!" if someone did, that is just wrong.

I have had three incidents where unleashed dogs came up to my dog, and a fight ensued. It is really scary, and avoidable, but I don't want to be caught unprepared.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 pm

How fitting that he joins an organization that is as despicable as he is
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

This thread is going to end in explosion, but I can't help but shorten the fuse.
megschristina wrote: How so? If it is okay for a pointer to point, but not a pit bull to want to fight? It is natural instinct. Can't believe a sporting dog owner of all people doesnt get that. And it is incredibly difficult to break up a dog fight without a breakstick.

Your kidding right? And you wonder why so many people either; get a bad idea about the breed, don't like the breed(sometimes without ever touching one), and or don't like the thought of having them around there kids, property or selves????!?!

Also, I am curious how you could even come up with trying to compare a dogs natural instinct to point a game bird to a natural instinct to kill another dog, or fight with intent to kill, on sight...

If ANY dog of ANY breed requires me to need a 4x4 to break up there "prone instinct" to attack. I wouldn't come within 50 ft of one. Nor would I put anyone or anything else in that kind of situation.

Personally I don't care who owns what. If you want to own a pit bull, mean or nice that's fine by me. But if I think there nasty and mean you better just accept it and keep it far enough away that there is not ONE chance that I or anyone else could get injured. That includes my dogs. I know that the thought of using the "break stick" on more than just the dog would go through my mind in that case.

Dogs are going to fight, people are going to fight. That's the circle of life. However where to people that have a natural instinct to fight or kill end up?????

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue May 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Well put.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Tue May 05, 2009 7:45 pm

In no way do I condone what Vick did, but he is nothing but a product of his environment that he grew up in. Where he grew up dog fighting was just another sport. I'm sure he knew it was wrong what he was doing but when you grow up seeing your peers doing this sort of thing I don't think that it has the same effect on someone that saw it for the first time or heard about it. I am not going to judge someone that I don't know personally and say that he is a "thug" and a piece of "excrement." He's lost everything he has worked for and did his time in prison. I can't see him ever doing this again and if he wants to speak out against dog fighting from his own experience I don't see anything wrong with that even if it is in conjunction with PETA!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue May 05, 2009 8:35 pm

firstchoicehardwood,
Maybe you should invite Mr Vick to go hunting with you,and bring his Breakstick along(to flush the birds for you)The therapy would probably be good maybe in helping to change and save him from the product of his enviroment.Then after the hunt maybe treat him to an ice cream cone(with sprinkles).I bet in return he'd give you a free PETA decal or two.

megschristina,
What kind of hunting or field trials do people train for who have springpoles,breaksticks and treadmills??
GunDogForum,Pit Bulls ?,I'm missing the connection somehwre??
Last edited by BoJack on Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dog On Point!!

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Tue May 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Sorry BoJack, didn't realize it was a crime to voice my opinion. I'll make sure I keep my opinion to myself next time so I don't give you a chance to add some pointless sarcasm into the conversation.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue May 05, 2009 9:20 pm

firstchoicehardwood,
It's not a crime for anyone to state their opinion,sorry if you were offended by mine.
Dog On Point!!

INDIANA

Post by INDIANA » Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Mr Vick made some very poor choices, had everything and threw it all away, he put himself in that situation, this is an attempt at damage control,

I believe as one poster put it, they are time bombs and trouble waiting to happen, they are very powerful animals, with a very high prey drive, anyone who owns one of these dogs and says " Oh my dog would never......" is crazy, yes they will, they just haven't YET and what happens when it does, and say it's not a stray dog but a 5 year old little boy or girl, who just happened to be near a dog when it's prey drive kicked in, these dogs can not and should not be trusted, the problems started with these dogs, when people started trying to make pets of them, they are not pets, they are fighting dogs, people who own them may not want to hear that, but it is the truth believe it or not, and yes, I have seen all the cute pics of them laying with kids but I have also seen the damage they can do and their willingness to do it, back in the day, when the only people who had these dogs where the people who fought them, you never heard of a kid being attacted by a pitbull, why because it didn't happen, why, because those guys knew, these dogs are not pets and they were not treated as pets, they were and are fighting dogs, plain and simple, are they evil NO, do they do bad things, YES, bad things happen with these dogs, because we ( as humans ) have put them in situations, they were never meant to be put in, the things they do is not their fault, it's humans........ as was stated, they do what they have been bred to do for hundreds of years, just like pointers, but pointers don't send people to the emergency room, the dogs where bred and meant to do one thing...... as other posters have stated,this is my opinion, it is based on years of experience with the breed, I have had my hands on and been around hundredes of these dogs, if I have offended any of the APBT owners on the forum with my opinion, I am sorry but just as groups like PETA have to stop targeting this breed, owners of the breed also have to stop kidding themselves about it........

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 am

Mine is a rescue hes a fine dog rescued as a pup. I have no illusions about what he is I've owned and trained far more dogs of all breeds then most people other than pro trainers and have been doing it since the late 60's. He is a dangerous dog in the sense that he wouldn't back down from any challenge, I dont like that about him so I manage him very carefully. Its a worry for me but I dont have the heart to give up on him and I know what would happen if I gave him to someone either fighting or he would be mismanaged and possibly hurt someone.

I've wrestled with this for the two years I've owned him in some ways hes one of the best dogs I've ever owned but the fury they have is always there right below the surface, beagles run rabbits , pointers point and pits fight its really that simple. Its a responsibility my ignorant college daughter that rescued him foisted on me.

He is never off leash unless I am supervising and then hes got a ecollar on and I am alone in my training field, I keep him seperate from most of my other dogs.

He is extremely gentle with our family but I will never let my guard down. Its a breed that has some admirable traits he is one of the most amazingly powerful animals I've ever seen. In play with a retrieveing dummy in his mouth he can flip my 84 lb DK ( the dog in my avatar) over and pin him down by the neck , with a large dummy still in his mouth. ANd trust me when I say that DK is no slouch, fortunately the pit grew up with him and they are buddies.

I do simple T drils and other lab type handling stuff with him just to give him something productive to focus on.

Actaully maybe I owe the poster that commented about the break sticks an apology it would be a good idea in some circumstances, but down here people down here that have treadmills break sticks ect are dog fighters and scum.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

pear

Post by pear » Wed May 06, 2009 4:43 am

Sorry folks, this thread has no real value to GDF and is likely to go south, very quickly. So we'll end it right here... "pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey