GSP jumped the fence.....

Nebraska

GSP jumped the fence.....

Post by Nebraska » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 am

I was in the process of bringing my dogs in the house today and when I let my old GSP out of the fence to run around a little, my young one was so excited she just cleared the fence and then took off down the creek behind my house. I LUCKILY found her because she is very fast and runs like heck when you let her go. I've never had a fence jumper but now that she knows she can clear the fence, I'd think she'd do the same thing if she saw a rabbit or another dog.

So now what?? I don't want to put in a kennel/run and am hoping I can use the e-collar to teach her to stay off/away from the fence or, if I have to, install an electronic fence. I don't want to loose her so any experience here would be appreciated.....thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP jumped the fence.....

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 am

In the blue bar above do a search on "electronic fence". You'll find lots of inf.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:53 am

Hows them pigions? :) You can use the wired in ground fence like I use with the stubborn dog collars or put up a less costly electic like the cows use. Put it a little bit above the present fence so the dog has to hit it. Cheap fencers go for like 20.00 at tractor supply, wire and fastneres will run 20 or 30 more to complete the job.

Did you get to hunt her last season?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:39 pm

The electric fence option is probably the cheapest and as effective as any other (more so than some). Just remember that they are designed for animals standing on the ground. Depending on what type of fence you have, you may have to run a ground wire with the hot wire (at least 6" apart probably). Also, my suggestion is to us the pulse type fence charger.....the continuous types are too dangerous, in my opinion. I use a pulse type that I've run around the inside of my fence to keep my dogs from even jumping up on it, work really well. Also, use it temporarily around anything I need to protect from them or them from (newly fertilized grass, etc.).

Randy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:23 pm

You need to be careful that the dog doesn't get her rear legs through under the wire and get hung up. Don't think it would be pretty even if the wire wasn't electric. Electric works well for a dog that climbs but I sure wouldn't advise it for a dog that jumps.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Get a taller fence.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:You need to be careful that the dog doesn't get her rear legs through under the wire and get hung up. Don't think it would be pretty even if the wire wasn't electric. Electric works well for a dog that climbs but I sure wouldn't advise it for a dog that jumps.

Ezzy
Good point Ezzy....once they are "jumpers", it could be dangerous. As I said, mine is run around inside the fence.....discourages them from even getting near the fence. Installed when my oldest was a pup and thus he has a very healthy respect for fences (electric and otherwise).

Randy

PS...on edit.....the original poster may want to think about running one of the Invisi-fences on the inside of the fence. Same as an e-collar only you don't have to be sitting there all the time watching them.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:06 pm

I am assuming your fence is some sort of mesh fence (perhaps chain link) and the dog uses it to assist itself in propeling over the top by hooking his back feet into the fence? If so, there are insulators that you can purchase at farm supply stores which attach to your existing fence and hold a single strand of electrified wire about eights inches from your existing chain link fence. Your chain link fence is already grounded so any contact with the electrified wire and the chain link fence will get the point across. I'd place the electrified wire about 3 feet high from the ground. On the other hand if your dogs is clearing the fence without touching it this idea may not work (however, it would require a greater clearance arch of the dog if placed high enough).

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Guess I'll look into the inground option.

Mark - how ya doin'! I took Roxy out one day last season but this year will be her first real season. She's an awesome little GSP and will do great if I do my part. Honestly though, I'm still having a VERY hard time getting into it ever since I put my first GSP down last August..... :(

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:44 am

Good to hear about her, sorry about the other one, always hard to let it go but time will help a bit. Keep at it and she will reward you in the field. If you need help on the fence or want to see mine closer just call and I can show you the pet safe fence I use. Keeps them in my area with no problems or worries. I fenced in a friends in one afternoon, worked out fine for him. His dog also could run to the fence and clear it like a deer.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 pm

You can get an inexpensive underground fence and either wire tie or bury the wire inside your fence. Put a collar on the dog any time she is outside the kennel and they are not going to get close to the wire. I see them for sale all the time on craigslist or ebay. They are much more affective than hot wires as you don't worry about getting the wire grounded out. Only affects the dog wearing the collar. I had to do the top of one of my kennels when my buddies dog spends a few days. Email if you have questions.
Donnie

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Welcome to the club... mine do it when they get jealous the other ones are being trained...
KN

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Fri May 01, 2009 3:36 pm

personally i would opt for a dog run with a roof on it. once a dog has found a way to get out of an enclosure, like a yard, it will keep trying other ways until it finds one. the downside to the invisible fence is you have to have the collar on the dog all the time when in the yard and if it ever goes dead and it tries to escape you are right back to square one. i do think invisible fences work but I think they have more success preventing dogs from learning how to escape than to stop on that has already figured out how. here is an example, my neighbor had a boxer that would get out almost daily and sometimes be gone for days. he eventually put in a e-fence but it wasnt a month and the dog learned if he just ran thorough it the correction only lasted for a short time. the owner kept turning up the power but the dog kept trying to get out and eventually got out one too many times as he was never seen again. the point is once a dog has a taste for freedom and has figured out a way to get out, he will keep trying no mater what and eventually he will find another way. the only sure fire way to keep a dog in the yard is a kennel with a roof. i have had this escaping problem with some of my shorthairs in the past as they would even try and bust out of a dog run so i ended up puting a heavy duty wire roof so there was no way for the dog to get out. if the problem you are having is only when the dog is in the yard and you are always with him, i would get a remote e-collar and work wiht him with that.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Not all electric dog fences are created equal. A good pro system has programming to shock the dog even if it leaves the signal field. Dogs that think they can just bolt through are in for a big surprise when the extended shock kicks in. I have seen a few boxers doing cartwheels in the street. Guess what. They don't challenge the fences again. Dogs will get conditioned to stay off the fence if it gets enough corrections early in the process. After a few days it won't go close to the fence even without a collar. It has learned to stay off. Doesn't mean it will last forever, it will need the occasional reminder but most dogs don't get the warning but every once and a while. Exceptions to everything but just like all training items the more you spend the better quality and more features.
Don

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 am

Mark pointed out this one at LCS: http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Pet-Con ... Fence.html

My coop is also in my yard and the dogs regularly sit underneath it. I think it's entertaining for them but I'd just as soon have them leave it alone. So with a system like that, If I set up a containment area in my yard that doesn't include the coop, how far away to I have to run the wire so I don't risk having them associate a negative stimulation with the coop/birds?? Thanks again.......

If that is indeed a risk, I think I'll just try and just use my e-collar but I'd like to use the best option for the dog.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon May 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Nebraska wrote:Mark pointed out this one at LCS: http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Pet-Con ... Fence.html

My coop is also in my yard and the dogs regularly sit underneath it. I think it's entertaining for them but I'd just as soon have them leave it alone. So with a system like that, If I set up a containment area in my yard that doesn't include the coop, how far away to I have to run the wire so I don't risk having them associate a negative stimulation with the coop/birds?? Thanks again.......

If that is indeed a risk, I think I'll just try and just use my e-collar but I'd like to use the best option for the dog.
Just make sure that the wire is at least 10-20 ft further than the range where the stimulation starts. That should put the wire a ways away, enough so that if they do get shocked there shouldn't be much reason for them to associate it with the coop.