is it bad too!

dustinweim

is it bad too!

Post by dustinweim » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:18 pm

is it hard on my 5.5 month old puppy to to run him rollerblading it is about 2 mi. round trip

megschristina

Re: is it bad too!

Post by megschristina » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 pm

IMO, yes, he is too young for that. Give him time to grow. I would save rigorous workouts like that until he is at least 18 months. You don't want to damage his young, underdeveloped bones. You can work your puppy, but that is a bit excessive.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:05 pm

at 5 months ; a 2 mile run for a setter is a walk in the park !!!! mit be much for a fat lab or me but not for a bird dog.

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

he is a weim i just don't want to hurt him with any thing with his growing development or hurt his joints by running him to hard

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 pm

When my girl was 3 months old I took her roller blading just trying to tire her out. HA, HA, HA, that was 45 mins. of her pulling me on my blades. When we got home she looked at me wondering when I was going to go excersive her. A normal workout for a birddog would probally make a coach dog lame.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm

No problem. Keep and eye out for broken pads if you're on cement. I'd stop a few times for a mini rest and some water.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Too young for a regimen like that yet and not good for bone and Hip joint developement.Normal exercise of walks and runs in the fileds and woods is plenty for a pup that age for now.
Dog On Point!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 pm

BoJack wrote:Too young for a regimen like that yet and not good for bone and Hip joint developement.Normal exercise of walks and runs in the fileds and woods is plenty for a pup that age for now.
I agree. The pup can handle the two miles with no real problem today but a growing pup does not need any resistant exercise and sure doesn't need to be on a hard surface. Once or twice a week of free running should be ok but too much exercise just isn't helping the joints at all till they are fully formed and hardened off. There will be plenty of time for them to run and play hard as they mature.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:49 am

As long as you're not roading the pup (it shouldn't be pulling anything), a free run for 45 mins to an hour each day isn't bad. Just watch it on the cement/concrete/asphalt. A run in an open field is much better, and allows the dog to explore and use its sniffer.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 am

BoJack wrote:Too young for a regimen like that yet and not good for bone and Hip joint developement.Normal exercise of walks and runs in the fileds and woods is plenty for a pup that age for now.
I agree. Growth plates haven't closed yet. Could do some damage to them...

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:26 am

V-John wrote:
I agree. Growth plates haven't closed yet. Could do some damage to them...
ditto. sounds like you don't have the access to open spaces kinda like me. i would take my dog trail running, you give them plenty of exercise without overdoing it...... my dog would have me beat within 30minutes. that keeps them off the hard surfaces and gives them a nice little workout without overdoing it. honestly i don't think its good for any age dog to consistantly take long runs on hard surfaces.