Computer Virus

limited out

Computer Virus

Post by limited out » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Just wanted to let you know that there is a virus supposedly coming out this Wedsnday. It's a big one, big enough to be on the news. I am not positive on the details.... but just turn your computers off Tuesday night, disconnect them from the internet, and don't use them until Thursday morning.

Just wanted to let you know, apparantley people are that lifeless, where the best thing they have to do is create all this crap.

GsPJustin

Re: Computer Virus

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm

I am pretty handy with computers, so I will leave mine on and let you know if it was true or not.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Actually it's a conficker worm. Microsoft is offering a quarter million dollar reward for the name of the troublemaker. Microsoft has posted a free security patch that you can download to protect yourself. You can also buy software to get rid of the worm if you have it. Apparently the worm has been travelling around the world in computers for months - set to become active April 1. All security agencies are taking this very seriously as the purpose of the worm is to get into bank accounts / financial institutions etc.

Shutting off your computer won't help, because either you've got it or you don't. Installing the patch asap is your best move , in case you don't have the worm .

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/comput ... icker.mspx
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:11 am

Not me im running on linux! I do have a couple laptops with windows just make sure all your windows and antivirus is up to date

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Sharon wrote:Actually it's a conficker worm. Microsoft is offering a quarter million dollar reward for the name of the troublemaker. Microsoft has posted a free security patch that you can download to protect yourself. You can also buy software to get rid of the worm if you have it. Apparently the worm has been travelling around the world in computers for months - set to become active April 1. All security agencies are taking this very seriously as the purpose of the worm is to get into bank accounts / financial institutions etc.

Shutting off your computer won't help, because either you've got it or you don't. Installing the patch asap is your best move , in case you don't have the worm .

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/comput ... icker.mspx
yep, if you have it you have it. To put it in simple terms, if you are already infected with this virus your computer is sitting on the internet "waiting for instructions" from the virus author. The author has millions of computers at his disposal that he could potentially use to organize a single attack against a website, company or the computers themselves. After disecting the virus, security people know that on April 1, all of the infected computers are going to check in with the author to see if there are instructions for an attack.

Doesn't mean something 100% is going to happen on the 1st, just that everyone is going to "phone home" and check. All of this happens without the home user ever knowing.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:26 pm

From what I have read from Microsoft is that if you have a good security system with a good anti-virus currently and you are current on all your updates as well as Microsoft updates, that you should be fine. Most security systems will prevent the worm from infecting your computer. Microsoft does have a tool to remove the worm if you know you are infected.

Sounds like the main threats are business computers where all desktops may not get updated regularly and home users with a good anti-virus and firewall are at a much less risk. http://www.pcworld.com/article/157876/p ... _worm.html

Here is a little more information on the worm here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

limited out

Post by limited out » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm

So if you have it, then you already would know, right? In other words, I shouldn't worry about getting it tomorrow? I have scanned my computer, and it says it has no viruses (using McAfee)

Thanks for the info.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 pm

I have the complete McAfee security Center as well as 3 spyware/anti-malware programs that run scans on weekly basis and haven't found anything either. I think were ok.

I guess one of the main symptoms to look for if you think you are infected is whether you can check and download updates from Microsoft update. From what I understand if you are infected you will not be able to do so.

More info on Conficker and the patch to prevent it : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/secu ... 52420.aspx

limited out

Post by limited out » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 pm

I am not the best with computer programs.... how do you check Microsoft Update?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 pm

If you have a windows based machine, go to "start" on your computer, look for windows "update" ... it may be found in the first pop up window or after you select "all programs" . After finding and clicking on "windows update", click on "change settings" . Now read and see if your machine is set for "install updates automatically". If that feature is turned on all important updates are atomatically sent to your computer if it is on and plugged into the internet. Otherwise turn "install updates automatically" on or go to: www.windowsupdate.com and follow directions.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Will

Post by Will » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Run Microsoft Update from your Control Panel or click here:

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupda ... x?ln=en-us
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 pm

I got one in my puter about 3 wks ago. I kept getting pop up advertizers on this Forum. I clicked on a duck hunting game, I think that is where I got it. Puter still not up.
brenda

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:03 am

Brenda,

I understand surfing can be hazardous depending upon the site and lots of people get viruses when surfing. Sorry to hear about your puter getting a virus. Has this affected your golf game at all? :D
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it