42%
Self-Help book publishers and psychologists
6%

Total votes: 36

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Who wins

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Over on another board we have a guy that does some weekly posts some times they are silly and sometimes he hits the nail right on the head and helps to make people sit back a moment and reflect

Here is one of those time to reflect ones which just seemed like a good one to post here in lieu of recent postings
so I asked him if i could steal it to post it here :mrgreen: :lol:
So here is Yamas poll of the Week
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry in advance for this. I gotta get it off my chest and you all are the unfortunate victims. The subject is:

Internet Arguments

Disclaimer: For the purpose of the following public service announcement, arguments are far different from disagreements. Disagreements are natural, welcome, expected and often interesting, valuable and productive. Arguments are childish attempts to make yourself look better at someone else’s expense.

I’m torn when reading threads where two or more people get caught up in personal arguments. On one hand it’s very entertaining to watch the train wreck. On the other hand, I hate watching people make fools of themselves. It’s hard for me to watch people suffer, even when they’re completely unaware that they’re suffering. I’m embarrassed for you even when you aren’t embarrassed for yourself, and it makes me uncomfortable. So, in an act of self-preservation, I offer this tip: If you think you’re winning an argument on the internet . . . you’re wrong. Just quit. If you crave respect, go look for it somewhere else. If you deserve it, you’ll get it. If you don’t, you won’t. You can’t take respect from people so stop trying.

This can’t be emphasized enough: Even when you’re in the right, you look as bad as if you’re wrong. Everybody else sees it. Don’t be oblivious.

It’s so ironic that the more respect a person demands in an internet argument, the more foolish they look. Every attempt at earning respect only erodes their image even more – dignity is lost with each post. So, if you have no pride, by all means get into an internet argument – there’s no better place to give away your dignity in front of an eager audience.

When you succeed in getting the last word in an internet argument all you’ve done is won the last chance to appear foolish. Congratulations, I guess.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Who wins

Post by wems2371 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Great post. Thanks for sharing those wise words.

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Yes, good advice Arlette. And would seem to apply to lots of different settings....not just the internet!

Streenie

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:11 pm

I wish I could take credit for the original post but ...I will take credit for copying and sharing it with permission of course :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:53 pm

You need to add one more possibility - ME. Just ask my wife, I have never lost an argument, but have been pretty cold and uncomfortable sleeping on the couch!!! :lol:

Nitrex

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:24 pm

I have to disagree with you nitrex. I am pretty sure I always win! :P :P :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

edondero

Post by edondero » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:06 pm

'don't argue with fools because from a distance people can't tell who is who"

and i am sure the internet is a good distance long.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Yama is one of a kind. Nobody can not like him nor can ya not agree with him. Love that guy!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!