"Ruffwear" Swamp Cooler

rockllews

"Ruffwear" Swamp Cooler

Post by rockllews » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 pm

http://www.backcountry.com/store/RUF003 ... -Vest.html

Anyone ever seen or used one of these? What do you think? Useful after a hot hunt when there's no bodies of water available or another way to waste your money? All the Ruffwear stuff seems pretty expensive, good thing I'm not in the market to purchase any. Just came across it....

Bailey

Re: "Ruffwear" Swamp Cooler

Post by Bailey » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:37 pm

I think for $50 you could make a water container out of 6" PVC that will tuck underneath the rails of your truck bed. Slope it to the rear of the truck and put a 90 on the end with a screw on cap. This way you can load it full of ice and fill it with water.

I have seen a few of them and they look pretty handy. With a tap in the other end and a 6' piece of hose you can soak a dog down with ice water or give them a drink. Not to mention its just water from the tap so you would always have ice water at your disposal.
"Line breed for consistancy and outcross for vigor."
Ridge-Point

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Looks counterproductive to me.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:06 am

Rick Hall wrote:Looks counterproductive to me.
Rick, I'm interested in hearing why, because the cooling part would be on the dog's back rather than the chest? Not that I'm interested in the product, just curious..

Kevin

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:14 am

A dogs coat keep hem cool as well as warm. Putting a canvas coat on them would be fine for the few minutes the ice lasts. But you are also adding weight for th dog to carry so it is going to br generating more heat because of the greater workload it is carring. I hink the dog will be fine if you are and if its too hot for the dog then it should be laying in the shade with its head on your lap while you complain about the heat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:20 am

good points ezzy, thanks

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks all for your thoughts. I wasn't looking to buy it... but wondered about its effectiveness.

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree with Ezzy. I don't think the cool penetrates the coat especially on a long coated dog, however it would add weight.

This is coming from a Ruff wear retailer - Don't tell them. :mrgreen:

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:20 pm

ezzy333 wrote:A dogs coat keep hem cool as well as warm. Putting a canvas coat on them would be fine for the few minutes the ice lasts. But you are also adding weight for th dog to carry so it is going to br generating more heat because of the greater workload it is carring. I hink the dog will be fine if you are and if its too hot for the dog then it should be laying in the shade with its head on your lap while you complain about the heat.

Ezzy
My old handcrew boss a few years back use to scowl at guys drinking cold water during breaks from digging line. We'd be on a type II fire all day and he always went for his hip bottle. Said it burns more calories to bring the cold water up to body temperature to be absorbed. "Your workin harder than you think dummy."
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot